VS HD 9000
Fortec 36" (90CM) dish
Moteck SG2100 Motor
Axing SPU 41-02 Switch
Invacom QPH -031 LNB
100' RG6 cable
Lat 43.2
Long 79.48
Can't seem to figure out how to find true south (using a 79W sat as reference), or at least I think I am.
Don't have a portable TV, using standard "satellite finder" meter/beeper so not really able to ascertain satellite from roof, sort of an educated guess.
Have tried numerous bolting/unbolting sky sweeps, locking onto strong signal, then fine tuning with elevation settings etc.
Have done auto scans, and blind scans, had a little success with mac TV (Taiwan), and AON (a religious channel), other wise nothing except encrypted channels which are of no use to me.
I suspect that I am not getting aligned with the true arc of the Clarke belt somehow and therefore my sat discoveries are hit and miss, but I don't know how to fix this apparently.
(I keep finding conflicting info on dish elevation settings and motor elevation settings, between my manuals and the net.)
(BTW, my post is a true 90 degrees vertical read from four sides)
Also wondering if either my DiSEqC switch or my LNB is malfunctioning.
How can you tell anyway?
I've even read that some LNBs have their own switches built in and don't need a switch in the line.
Is that true?
If so, how would I combine the cables from the C and L outlets to my receiver?
OR: Do I even need the C and L outlets, would a direct connection to my receiver from the Linear outlet work better for me? (I understand that only the paid channels use the Circular feeds anyway. Is that correct)
I'm only interested in free FTA (at the moment anyway)
Aside from all these variables, the manual is of limited use, and I'm not sure if I'm even setting my scans info correctly.
Example:
AMC 3
LNB Power ON
Type Universal (not sure if this should be standard or not, and if so should 22KHZ be off?)
Freq settings (using defaults)
DiSEqC none
Motor Usals
I don't quite understand all the amazing options available to me on this forum either, such as keys, bins, channels lists, codes, etc.
Do I need any of these, or are they just for the hardcore hobbyists out there?

I'm beginning to suspect that the sat and channel lists etc., that are pre programmed/built into my unit, could be out of date, and that the ones listed here are the cure. (Mainly because the satellite list published on the web show channels and sats that are not even listed in my receiver)
But I'm afraid to mess with my built in settings.
I'm quite conversant with computers and flash drives etc., so if someone could point me in the right direction...
(It's just the FTA stuff that is all new to me!)
I know there are thousands of channels out there, and I only want a select handful, I'm not greedy, but I have a significant investment in this setup now and my wife is pressuring me for results!:)
Besides winter will be setting in soon, and I don't want to spend most of it on the roof.
Help!

Last edited:
Power Off the receiver using the switch on back when connecting / disconnecting cables.

LNB "L"inear port to DiSEqC Port 1
LNB "C"ircular port to DiSEqC Port 2
DiSEqC Out to Meter
Meter to Motor
Motor to Receiver

Motor Latitude is set to your Lat: 43.2(43 should be close enough)
Dish Elevation set to 23
Using a compass and with the Motor at Zero, twist Motor on pole to 190deg South

In the receiver's Sat / Dish / Antenna setup menu:
Find Nimiq2 @ 82 west
LNB Power ON
Type: Standard
Freq: 11250
22KHz: Off
Transponder(TP):Anything in Nimiq2's list should work.
DiSEqC: Port2 (Circular)
Motor: USALS - Enter you Lat and Long, make sure to sellect "West", east is deafult.
Select "OK", dish should move West for about 1 second.

Adjust southern alignment buy twisting motor on pole to best signal
Adjust Dish Elevation to best signal
Motor Latitude is not adjusted

Once you have good Quality, 85+, try the Linear Sat at 74 West

Look for 74west - SBS6, Galaxy 17, Horzions 2
LNB Power ON
Freq: 10750
Transponder(TP): Look for 11734
DiSEqC: Port1 (Linear)
Motor: Usals - no need to re-enter Info, select "OK" to Move.

Tweak dish to best signal.

Power off and remove Meter.

For now, just connect an 'L' (linear) output from the Invacom directly to the motor and the motor to the receiver, bypassing the switch. Once you get the hang of aiming the dish and receiver functions, you can add the switch and the 'C' (circular) side of the LNB for the few free channels on the pay satellites. It really is best if you can find a small TV and take both the receiver and TV to the dish site to aid in aiming. Even some portable DVD players can act as a small TV monitor, since some have video inputs.

I don't quite understand all the amazing options available to me on this forum either, such as keys, bins, channels lists, codes, etc.
Do I need any of these, or are they just for the hardcore hobbyists out there?

With the exception of channel lists, these things (keys, non-factory bins, codes) are all for illegal hacking of pay satellite signals, which is not discussed here. For true FTA, these aren't necessary.

Almost got it

Thanks Lak7 and Tron, great suggestions.

Lak7, I followed your advice to the letter, (or tried to anyway)

Lak7, everything was going swimmingly until I got to the receiver setup part for SBS6, Galaxy 17, Horizons 2.

I don't have a transponder number 11734 on my receiver list just 11741, (and something else).
Is there some way to add one?

(Also don't understand the Horizons 2 part of your instructions, I didn't see anything like that on the sat title.)

When I reached the "Motor" part of the setup for SBS6, the signals (S & Q), had dropped right off to nothing .
I had 75 S and 85 Q after doing the Nimiq2 at 82W set up inputs.
THAT was encouraging! Best readings I have seen yet.

Of course when I did a scan I got dozens of $ channels which are of no use to me, but at least I got something! The standard LNB setting made a big difference too. (What I don't know about this FTA thing is scary) Anyway, Wife was ALMOST impressed.;)

Question:
What I didn't do (probably should have, but it was getting really dark and cold up there, and my cold super was waiting) was to go back up on the roof and tweak the dish some more after I had optimized it for "something" I found when I pointed it at 190W as instructed.

(It made a hit right away at 190, great beeping and neighbour disturbing racket, so I went with it). Kept turning down the sensitivity and re tweaking, first the swing, and then the elevation settings, until I couldn't get the needle to move any more. Pretty sure it was 82W as I got great S and Q downstairs. BTW 79W is directly south of me since my long is 79.8 (is this a correct assumption?)

What I was afraid of, (even though I did mark the position on the mast) was messing up my now perfect setting, optimized even to the point of allowing for settling/slack as I tightened up the nuts, watching the needle carefully as I did so.

So the question is... (Finally,whew), If I optimize the elevation settings and swing/degree position for one sat, (82W for instance), won't swinging things about and re-optimizing for another sat (74W), screw up my first settings?
I understand that optimizing settings with the receiver gives it positions to memorize and it will return to those settings when asked to, but how can it be expected to do that if I physically change the mechanical settings up on the roof?

Thanks again for your help, much appreciated.
Most progress I've made so far.:)

When you locked on to 82 west, did you use the motor to drive there first?
1) With motor at zero point to 190 deg south
2) Using USALS, have receiver drive motor to 82 west, motor will be about 3deg West, not zero. Peak Signal
3) Using USALS, have the receiver drive to 74 west, motor will be about 6deg East. RePeak dish.

If you don't see a TP in you Sat's list, you can add manually, using the Channel Search menu.
Select the Sat from the list, look for "Add User TP"
You need to enter:
Freq: 11734
Polarity: Horizontal
Scan Rate: 6616
others settings a Auto

Remember to have the proper LNB settings for 74 West, they are different than 82 west.
The Sat at 74 west has changed names a few times over the past 2 years, look for
SBS6, Galaxy 17, or Horzions 2, more than likely it will be SBS6 and you will need to enter the TP info.

add transponder

If the 9000 is anything like the Ultra, it's hard to find that option to add a transponder.
Look at Installation-Channel Scan +OK
Down Arrow Twice=hit OK again to highlight bottom row of options -EDIT TP lites up. Then just Hit F1 to add a transponder, Exit when you're finished. It will ask if you want to save the change. Then just keep hitting exit until you're out of the Installation Menu.

When you locked on to 82 west, did you use the motor to drive there first? Yes.
1) With motor at zero point to 190 deg south-- Ys, I did that.
2) Using USALS, have receiver drive motor to 82 west, motor will be about 3deg West, not zero. Peak Signal--- Yes, I did that. So 79 degrees is zero? 79 + 3 =82 degrees right?

3) Using USALS, have the receiver drive to 74 west, motor will be about 6deg East. RePeak dish. Do you mean on the roof, or with the receiver? The receiver couldn't peak the signal at 74W, probably because of the wrong TP, I'd guess.

snipped
So if zero for me is really 79 degrees then the 190 setting you gave me to aim my dish at (as opposed to 180 South magnetic reading on the compass) is that with a built in adjustment for true south?
Just trying to understand all this, don't mean to be a pain.

Thanks again Lak7

190 south is for aiming with compass, your area has a 10deg offset, see link.....
Find Your Declination Adjustment Value
The magnetic field moves year by year, that's why it's Dated.

#3 above - Yes, using the receiver, go to Antenna Setup, Find the Sat for 74 west, goto the USALS menu and select OK to move, dish should move. Exit out to Channel Scan and follow the above instructions to enter a new TP. The receivers Quality meter will only Light Up if you have an Active TP selected in the Antenna Setup menu.

Your "True South" Sat would be one that is closest to Your Longitude - 79.49 or AMC 5 @ 79 west.
But the Sat at 82 west is Much easier to start with. As long as the motor "drove" to 82 west, and you locked / peaked signal there, then when you "drive" the motor back to AMC 5 @ 79 west, or as I suggested 74 west - stronger Signal, you should just need minor tweaks to get it.
After that, you would pick a Sat far west, like Galaxy 18 @ 123 (formerly Galaxy 10R I think)
and see what tweaks need to be made.

I think I'm beginning to get the picture;), slowly.

You guys are good, been doing this for a while have you?:D

So, Lak7, after I'm all tweaked out, do I get the available FTA channels I want by picking the charts/lists for the sats I can get good signals on, and punching in the TP's and other specs listed there?

When I scan do I set my parameters to FTA only?
I'm assuming if I set them to "all" or Scrambled" I'll just get another 4000 or so $$$ channels.

If the 9000 is anything like the Ultra, it's hard to find that option to add a transponder.
Look at Installation-Channel Scan +OK
Down Arrow Twice=hit OK again to highlight bottom row of options -EDIT TP lites up. Then just Hit F1 to add a transponder, Exit when you're finished. It will ask if you want to save the change. Then just keep hitting exit until you're out of the Installation Menu.

Thanks turbosat, I'll print this out, and try it.
We learn by doing.

FTA

You won't get all those scrambled channels off the pay-tv birds if you don't scan them with the circular lnbf. If you're scanning for fta on the linear sats, use the linear lnbf. I set mine to ALL, because it seems to take longer to scan when set to FTA, I guess it takes the rec longer to decide if its scrambled or not and whether to list it during the blind scan.

For now, just connect an 'L' (linear) output from the Invacom directly to the motor and the motor to the receiver, bypassing the switch. Once you get the hang of aiming the dish and receiver functions, you can add the switch and the 'C' (circular) side of the LNB for the few free channels on the pay satellites. It really is best if you can find a small TV and take both the receiver and TV to the dish site to aid in aiming. Even some portable DVD players can act as a small TV monitor, since some have video inputs.

:) I just had a vision of me launching myself down the roof slope trying to grab my receiver and/or my DVD player before they disappeared over the edge.:eek:

So far I've only had to retrieve wrenches from the eaves trough.

Interesting ideas though.
If I have any more trouble with it, these are good options.
Have to look at my DVD player to see if it has a coax hookup on it.
Another arrow in the quiver!

With the exception of channel lists, these things (keys, non-factory bins, codes) are all for illegal hacking of pay satellite signals, which is not discussed here. For true FTA, these aren't necessary.
How would I avail myself of these channel lists?
Are they something that would make my life easier?:confused:
I'm dimly aware of the fact that the VS 9000 has USB ports for software upgrades etc., but I don't know much more than that about it. (Manual isn't very detailed)
I'm a little nervous about feeding data into my USB port until Ii know more about what I'm doing. (read some horror stories online)

So, Lak7, after I'm all tweaked out, do I get the available FTA channels I want by picking the charts/lists for the sats I can get good signals on, and punching in the TP's and other specs listed there?
Kinda....
The TP info in the receiver, as you have noticed, is not up to date.
Once you are "Tracking the Arc" then you can use "The List" at the top of this web page to pick what sat you want to start to scan. Start with you True South Sat AMC5. Find AMC 5 in the Antenna Setup Sat List, enter proper LNB Settings for FTA Sats,Your receiver has a few scan options, Blind Scanning being the most important, it will check all possible combos to find active TPs. Auto Scan will only check the TPs that are already in the Sats list, being outdated, Auto Scan is not a good start.
Try Blind Scanning 74 west see what up come up with, it will take 3-5 minutes to scan.

How would I avail myself of these channel lists?
Are they something that would make my life easier?:confused:

The neat thing about channel lists is that you can save your scanned channels (it takes some time to scan each satellite in the arc, sift through your channels, put them into proper order, etc.). Once you have your system properly aligned and are hitting all the satellites across the arc, you can start scanning in channels from each bird. When you have finished your scans, you can save your channel list to your PC either through the USB port via a thumb drive or RS-232 serial port via a cable connected to your PC. With the channel list in your computer, you can edit channel names (many scan in with cryptic names), add satellites, rename satellites, delete unused transponders, and all sorts of other maintenance. Best of all, if your receiver requires a reset or loses its data, you won't have to re-scan each satellite... You'll have a channel list ready to go on your PC :)

Channel lists

Thanks Tron,

Can you step me through it?

Once I get my channel lists set up/organized a bit on my receiver, how exactly do I transfer them to my USB?

Is there an option in the menu on the receiver for this?

And once on the USB flash drive, how does my computer handle these lists?
Is there special software for this, or are the lists in a file format already covered in Windows?(Running Vista 32 Home Prem on a 3 gig computer.)
And of course once on the computer and modified, how Do I reinstall them on the receiver?

A lot of questions:hungry: :eek:
Do your best, and thanks again.

Lak7: how do you came up with the coordinates. I have Latitude: 41.175 N
Longitude: 95.954 W. My setup

SV8000 HD receiver
SG1200 Motor
30'' Dish
Captiveworks standard linear dual LNBF.

Power Off the receiver using the switch on back when connecting / disconnecting cables.

LNB "L"inear port to DiSEqC Port 1
LNB "C"ircular port to DiSEqC Port 2
DiSEqC Out to Meter
Meter to Motor
Motor to Receiver

Motor Latitude is set to your Lat: 43.2(43 should be close enough)
Dish Elevation set to 23
Using a compass and with the Motor at Zero, twist Motor on pole to 190deg South

Find Nimiq2 @ 82 west
LNB Power ON
Freq: 11250
Transponder(TP):Anything in Nimiq2's list should work.
DiSEqC: Port2 (Circular)
Motor: USALS - Enter you Lat and Long, make sure to sellect "West", east is deafult.
Select "OK", dish should move West for about 1 second.

Adjust southern alignment buy twisting motor on pole to best signal
Adjust Dish Elevation to best signal
Motor Latitude is not adjusted

Once you have good Quality, 85+, try the Linear Sat at 74 West

Look for 74west - SBS6, Galaxy 17, Horzions 2
LNB Power ON
Freq: 10750
Transponder(TP): Look for 11734
DiSEqC: Port1 (Linear)
Motor: Usals - no need to re-enter Info, select "OK" to Move.

Tweak dish to best signal.

Power off and remove Meter.

Once I get my channel lists set up/organized a bit on my receiver, how exactly do I transfer them to my USB?

Is there an option in the menu on the receiver for this?

And once on the USB flash drive, how does my computer handle these lists?
Is there special software for this, or are the lists in a file format already covered in Windows?(Running Vista 32 Home Prem on a 3 gig computer.)
And of course once on the computer and modified, how Do I reinstall them on the receiver?

I don't have a Viewsat, and all receivers are different in their operational menus, so someone with a Viewsat will probably be able to give you better step-by-step help than I can. Basically, the process involves saving your list onto a thumb drive, reading the thumb drive with your PC, modifying the channel information (putting channels in order, deleting what you don't want, etc.), re-saving the channel list file on the thumb drive, then re-loading the file into your receiver.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts