Can't get OTA guide info from a Zenith HD-SAT. Need help.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Logic 7

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 1, 2006
Rockford , IL
I tried to do a search on here but really couldnt find anything. I have hooked up the SAT 520 and set it up but don't get any PSIP guide info for my local stations. I currently have the OTA, D* and cable hooked up. I wasnt expecting info from cable (but it would be nice) but I thought I would get it from OTA as I did with my Hughes E86 (which the Zenith replaced) as well as my Samsung T165 tuner and my HD-Tivo. I hoping that some of the people on here that have this or the Sony piece can shed some light on this for me or tell me what i'm doing wrong. It does have software dated 6/01/05 01:29> HD2 2.00.00 if that helps.

The Sat520, the Hughes HTL-HD, Sony HD300 and LG3200A are all based on the same hardware and software originally developed in partnership by Sony and Hughes. The PSIP decoding software used by these 4 models does not decode ATSC PSIP data anymore because there was a major revision to it almost a year ago mandated by the FCC for any station broadcasting in the ATSC format. The current software version varies slightly based on the particular broadcasting station and what hardware they're using to encode the data into the ATSC stream, but the size of the PSIP packets and formatting of it has changed so much that the boxes in question cannot even be patched to fix it. They can still pick up ATSC broadcast data, they just have to use the APG guide streamed from DirecTV. You don't even need a subscription to do it either.

To pick up the OTA information over satellite, just repeat the guided setup through the menu and make sure you select 'Satellite & Off-Air' when the selection comes up, the input your zip code. If you scan in the off-air channels manually using the scan feature, the IRD will disregard the APG info from DTV and opt to decode the PSIP data it gets from the station, which it will fail miserably at.

Thank you both for your help.
charper, Yes its the same post. I put a post similar to this up at AVS and hadnt got a response, so I wanted to cover all the bases.

benj, thank you for the very detailed explaination. I looked for something like this but never thought it would be in the D* initial setup menu. It worked great!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts