Cant get RTPi

Status
Please reply by conversation.

nancymiranda

Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Hi Everyone:
I'm new to the forum, just joined! Was searching for information on RTPi and you folks seemed to have the best information... so Now i'm wondering if you can help me.

My parents have RTPi and they use an Viewstat Ultra 2000 receiver. I believe the Satellite is pointing to AMC5. Up until a few weeks ago, the signal was perfect. Then all of a sudden, it works during the day, but not at night. This is driving my dad nuts because he loves watching the comedy romance that gives at 8pm. We thought it might be due to bad weather over the USA, but now seems like a regular routine. Channel works great during the day, then stops working around 4pm until about 2 am. The signal strength is at 78%, but the quality varies from 0 - 11%. What other information can I provide to help trouble shoot? Thanks in advance.... ps, I'm not that technical. Up until recently, my brother use to deal with these issues. Now its fallen on my lap.

:welcome to satelliteguys :)

there are several things you can look for
something blocking the view of the satellite dish / lnbf --> nesting bird , wasp ect ( not likely but can check)
cable connectors ( again not likely but can check)
lnbf is going bad ( most likely ) replace with a spare if you have it
receiver is getting hot ( possible) make sure unit is getting proper ventilation , increase spacing between receiver and any equipment around it a 1" gap would be great ( you can even place a small fan close by) several folks here mentioned USB fans for cooling recievers (if this is the problem)

if none of these are your problem you might want to include receiver model # and dish / lnbf # & type

Thank you Gabshere:

The dish is mounted on the roof of my garage, so there is nothing blocking it. (Lol I know cause I had to climb up there).
The cables are all connected and the receiver is well ventilated. My parents have it off when not in use. They only use it to watch soccer and the comedy romance.
It may be the INBF. (found a pick on the internet) I'll try going to the flea market and getting a spare. See if that works. If that doesn't work, I'll try and get the other info.
Its just weird. Works during the day, but not at night. wondering if RTP itself is doing this on purpose.

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
RTPI is only on G19(AFAIK), 12058 H 22.000 The List SatelliteGuys.US_TheList - 97.0°W Galaxy_19 Ku
I'm thinking in addition to checking the coax connections, may also check the dish. (NOTE: unplug the receiver when working on/inspecting the coax connectors)
I'd disconnect each coax connector and inspect. Any discolored ones would be cut back and replaced. Corrosion causes loss of signal. I had this exact same symptom caused by one bad, corroded, connector.
The dish may have settled/moved a bit, and/or the LNBF feed throat cover may be dirty. Clean the feed throat cover with a spray cleaner and paper towel. The feed throat cover is aimed at the face of the dish on the part the coax attaches to. If this doesn't cure it, or in addition to the above:
Have the receiver on and watch the Quality meter as you put a little pressure on the dish top/bottom/sides, and holding it a while to see if any which way increases the Quality reading. (it may take a few seconds for the receiver to register a change) Do this without loosening any of the bolts on the dish. If you notice an increase, slightly loosen required bolts and make the adjustment to the dish. Tighten it back up to make it permanent. Another suggestion - Before adjusting the dish, mark your pole/dish mount so theres a reference to where it is now for the rotation of the mount on the pole. Could also reference the elevation of the dish on the mount. Let us know 'how it goes'.
PS> are there any other channels it gets?

Last edited:
If your quality reading is only 0% to 11% in Toronto, you have something major wrong. It is 70+% quality here. I suspect the most likely thing is your dish has moved very slightly. If you had a motor, you could likely just give the dish one bump with the motor and your problem would be gone.

Or summer vegetation has grown in that wasn't there in the winter. This is my problem here with tree foliage growing in over the last two weeks.

Hello Everyone!

Just wanted to thank everyone for your help! The satellite is up and working! The problem was the "feed throat cover" the little bubble thing that points to the dish had moved slightly. When we moved it with our hands, it worked, but would slide back. So we cut a piece of wood and jacked it up tightly against the arm. Its been working fine for about a week now.

Thanks again everyone! U guys rock!

cool. Glad you got it working

piece of wood huh? Sounds like something I would do (I've used wood, zip ties and hose clamps to make stuff stay or to add LNB's to setups) :)

Yep, same here with the duct tape, Zip ties, and the occasional fall-back - handy wire, and the not to forget "whatever is handy". (Red Green would be proud) Glad you got it going.

Hey Folks:
I'm back again with another strange question! Last night, while watching RTP International (I'm in Canada), there was a notice the satellite was changing to Galaxy 19. Since we pick up the signal from the USA, do we have to change our satellite as well to Galaxy? Right now I think its on AMC.
Thanks a million! Dad will be squawking if he doesn't see his romance shows! lol.... Thanks in advance for replies.

Hi Cyberham!
Thanks for the info. I don't have Galaxy 19 on my list... everything but that one. Right now I'm watching it on AMC, but last night they flashed a commercial that tomorrow the satellite changes! I'm wondering if I have to rescan or install another dish! :-(
Didn't know about the radio! I have to check it out! Gosh.... all these hookups.
Guess I'll have to wait and see what happens tomorrow!

I dont think RTPi is on AMC4 (now SES1) at 101W anymore.....hasnt been for a while
Its on 97W (Galaxy 19) for a while

As Fat Air said here, I don't think RTPi is on AMC. Are you receiving free-to-air signals (for no charge) direct from the satellites? Or do you subscribe to a service which provides you with signals? I suspect you are receiving Galaxy 19, but it is labeled incorrectly in your receiver as AMC.

Thanks Iceberg & cyberham:

Hmmm...... then I'm wondering if I should be okay. I am using Free-to-air signals right now and I get the RTP Channels clearly, along with all the other FTA stuff.
I went to the Antenna setup and saw AMC so that's what I thought I was on.
What threw me off is I saw the notice on the RTP Channel and it says tomorrow they are switching over to Galaxy. So I thought I was loosing signal. I'll check again tonight what its set up with.
Thanks!

Status
Please reply by conversation.