Can't Get Sat 119

Status
Please reply by conversation.

pwp818

Original poster
Mar 24, 2009
Ben Lomond, CA
I got a Slimline AU9-SL5 (5 LNB) dish installed about 9 months ago to receive HD channels, but due to some tall pine trees on my property, I can only get 4 of the 5 satellites. This was not a problem, until now when I want to get local channels, which are on the missing satellite - 119. I've explored all options for moving the dish, but if I move it to get 119, then 99 will be lost.

My question is could I use my previous dish, a phase 1 round 18" dish with a single LNB to acquire sat 119 (same Ku band as 101, which it was pointed at previously). I thought of using a flex port on a Zinwell WB-68 to merge the two dishes, but a DirecTV tech who was out here didn't think it would work. He was not too informed, but he believed the signals were different (wide band/narrow band?). I should mention that my locals would be SD. I have two MPEG4 HD receivers (an H21 and a new HD/DVR coming next week) and one DS-12 receiver. Your evaluation and suggestions will be appreciated.

It would not work, and here's why.

DirecTV uses a combination of voltage and control tone sent from the receiver to the LNBF to determine what satellite and transponder is needed based upon the channel you select. The voltages are 13 & 18 VDC, which combined with the presence or abscence of the 22kHz tone gives you four possible combinations.

13VDC, no tone - Used for odd transponders on the 101 and 99 sats
18VDC, no tone - Used for even transponders on the 101 and 99 sats
13VDC, 22kHz tone - Used for odd transponders on the 103, 110, and 119 sats
18VDC, 22kHz tone - Used for even transponders on the 103, 110, and 119 sats.

So if you tried to flex port in the 119, it would either cause you to lose the 103 and 110 sats, or not receive the 119, or may cause you to lose the 103, 110, and 119 sats.

Thanks, I understand now. But is there any option other than cutting down my trees? I just need to get a good signal from 119, which I can target from other spots on my property. I just don't have any single location that will allow the dish to see all 5 satellites.

you could always upgrade all of your receivers to HD and watch the HD locals, if available. Those will be coming from 99 or 103. As stated above, there currently aren't any switches that will allow you to do multi-dish setups with 99, 101, 103, 110, and 119.

If you upgrade to HD boxes, you can still connect them to SD TVs and watch the HD locals downrezzed by the box.

Thanks, but unfortunately they only offer SD locals here. It's looking like I might have to relocate my dish to a spot about 250 ft from my house. Would I then have to use an amplifier? Where would that amplifier have to be installed? If near the dish, would it be able to withstand rain and cold temps? What amplifier is recommended? I'd have 4 cables coming to the house.

If you can't top the trees or raise the dish, you'll have to move the dish.

250' is likely going to require some big bore cabling (RG11); not so much for the signal, but for carrying the LNB power and signaling voltage over yonder.

The best approach is to locate the dish where there are no trees. If you can't (or are unwilling to) do that, you need to get cozy with the local cable company or DISH Network.

Note that there have apparently been some successes in multiple Ku/Ka dish installations. You might want to look into that.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts