Can't get sat 129 on dish 1000.2 and VIP221

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

cjohnso3

Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
I have read multiple threads in forums, but have not been able to find anything to solve my problem. I live in Minnesota (55112) and have my dish set to the following:
Elevation: 32.1°, Azimuth: 214.0°, LNB skew: 113.5°
My signal strength on the 119 and 110 are 61 and 49 respectively. I have run the check switch diagnostic multiple times. Everything checks out OK but I have no signal on the 129. I have tried tweaking the Azmiuth to try and lock this bird, but haven't had any luck. There are a few trees in the yard that I'm aiming towards. I have elevated the dish to try and clear these. Could this be the problem because of the lower angle for the 129? Any help is appreciated.

you cant just up the elevation to clear the trees. i would say have some one from dish to come out, to verify if you are clearing trees or not and see what your options are

I have read multiple threads in forums, but have not been able to find anything to solve my problem. I live in Minnesota (55112) and have my dish set to the following:
My signal strength on the 119 and 110 are 61 and 49 respectively. I have run the check switch diagnostic multiple times. Everything checks out OK but I have no signal on the 129. I have tried tweaking the Azmiuth to try and lock this bird, but haven't had any luck. There are a few trees in the yard that I'm aiming towards. I have elevated the dish to try and clear these. Could this be the problem because of the lower angle for the 129? Any help is appreciated.

Not sure if you mean that raised up the Dish or if you adjusted the elevation on the dish. The Dish1000.2 is a more difficult dish to peak. Make sure your mast is plumb as it helps alot. These trees you talk about are you sure they are not blocking the 129? Your signals are a bit low on the 110 & 119. I would make sure the trees are not in the way for 129 then try repeaking the dish.

I physically raised up the dish so it was higher off the ground. I used an angle finder to make corrections for the mast being slightly out of plumb as it is 10 feet long. If I increase the angle (34-36 degrees) I can gain strength on the 119 and 110, but I still don't see the 129. I'm afraid if I deviate from the recommended settings I'll miss the 129, which doesn't seem to matter as I can't find the darn thing. Did I mention it is -5 degress F outside, which makes it fun to try and adjust things.

If you set up the dish yourself, you may have made the same mistake that I made when I repointed my dish after a strong wind. I was getting 110 and 119 but through the wrong lnbs. I thought that since I was getting 2 sats, then I must not be far off when I actually had to shift the dish considerably to get all 3 lnbs to line up correctly.

I figured it out by blocking each lnb one at a time and seeing which sat channels went out. Once I figured out that 110 was coming in on the lnb that should be picking up 119, I shifted the dish until 110 was coming through the 110 lnb. then 129 popped right in.

Of course, you may have an entirely different problem, but you might try the blocking approach to make sure that your lnbs are lined up correctly.

Roy

You say the check switch checks out "ok"

When you run it, it should say in this order " 119 110 129" with green "ok" underneath each one. What does your's say?

I have a 1000+ which is similar. The only way I was able to find 129 was to set the elevation/skew/and azimuth as shown for my zip code. This brought me 110/119 and 118 but no 129. I put a signal meter on the 129 lnb and found that by moving the elevation I could get an acceptable signal from 129. My setting is about 2 degrees different from the manual. Maybe the elevation here is the reason, not sure if that makes a different. Just a small movement in the elevation will lose the signal. I had problems with the signal going away while I was t ghtening the nut to hold it in place. A small movement to the skew or azimuth did not have near the same effect. The strongest signal came from the settings in the manual for these two adjustments.

I was having problems with a low signal with 129 mostly from trees. I bought a 2nd larger dish (from Wineguard) and a signal meter. Found 129 with the signal meter that went through a large hole in the trees and getting 129 great. Some Dish installers are great and some are not. Good luck.

I apprecaite all the suggestions. When I say the check switch is ok, it doesn't have any errors. The third LNB doesn't show a specific sat. It shows "119 110", with the third just saying connected, but no signal. I will try elevating the angle to see if I can get the 129.

I do have a relativley new DirectTV dish that is bigger than my current 1000.2. Could I mount the LNB's to this to try and capture the signal?

The physical look angles for 129 for a single sat dish is 225az, 27el. Check those coordinates and see if you are aiming at the trees. For a quick inclinometer, cut a 2x4 with a miter saw at 27 degree angle. Hold that 2x4 level and look "up" your miter cut at the correct compass heading. If you see trees, you're not clear to that satellite.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)