Can't hit AMC4(101) w/ DirecTV 36' Oval Dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

acuevas

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
Orange County
Hi All,

( First, I know that this thread is probably in the wrong section. But, for whatever reason, I do not have the privileges to post in the correct section. I have an e-mail out to the web master for help. )

My situation is the following: I have a DirecTV World Vision 36' Oval dish, using a Coolsat 4K, and I am able to get 123 with no probelms. However, when I turned the dish to hit AMC4 or even Galaxy 19 ( adjusting for proper EL/AZ/Skew of course ) I am not able to get a signal on either sat ( I'm keeping same settings on IRD ). Any suggestins are most welcomed. Thanks.

Some LNBs on the DirecTV World dishes were single polarity only, it is possible this may be the problem. Have you tried transponders from both polarities?

If you have an opening pull to the left a touch and see if 97W comes in.
Has like 200 + channels. This should say you are are close.

I too have having fun getting AMC4. I have something with one channel that says "Shopping drug" but need more time, my wife, and the family radios to get it in.

Another idea would be to program in one of the transponders by hand and using the signal meter in the receiver to point it the rest of the way. Need the receiver at the dish or another person inside to help.

AMC 4 at 101.0°W - LyngSat
12060 looks of some interest.

Good luck

Thanks to the both of you. Neither the 101 or 97 come in. Concerning polarity issues I am not familar with how that works or if the original dish LNB is single polarity only - I don't know how to check either.

Also, concerning transponders I am not up to date on how to check different transponders using my Coolsat. I checked the user's manual and it does not say. If you can point me to a link where I may learn I'll apreciate it. thanks.

If you are using a *tv dish, I am assumming that you are using there lnbs.
If so, you will have to change your lnbs to linear instead of circular. I am getting amc4 on a *network super dish with about 45 quality, using a $9.95 linear lnbf and a 4 lnb bracket. My 1.2 meter geosatpro dish gets high 90 quality. If you like to get a lot of (what I call decent channels) I would recommend a 1.2 meter dish, only because of the really weak channels that are out there. I know you can use a 30" or 36" dish for FTA, But there are a lot of weak channels that you will probably not be able to get.

AJV
The DirecTV 36" dish (also called the DirecTV World dish) has a KU LNB (for 95W) and a circular (for 101) so the LNB will work fine

Thanx Iceberg. I did not know. I am glad I learned something today. Only been into
FTA for about 7 months and learning everyday.

Thanks Iceberg,

You are correct I am using the KU LNB to hit 123 right now. But, again when I turn the dish for 101 or 97 ( setting correct EL/AZ/SKEW ) I don't get any signal on any of those two though.

Last edited:
acuevas
you should get something

101W is pretty strong. I'm wondering if that LNB is only one polarity and not both

I know on 101 3ABN is a thunderstick......I've picked it up on a 18" dish and a KU LNB
11822 H 5700

Thanx Iceberg. I did not know. I am glad I learned something today. Only been into
FTA for about 7 months and learning everyday.

no worries :)
We're here to help

in most cases, a DirecTV dish is useless for FTA but the World dish has a decent LNB. With the 6 degree spacing folks have aimed that dish at 123 and added a 2nd KU LNB at 129W for White Springs TV

If the LNB is truly a single polarity unit (I forget if it is)...but for sake of argument if it is, to get the other polarity you turn the LNB 90 degrees to get the other polarity. The LNB is held with a couple bolts but it does have the ability to twist if need be

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts