Can't move external Storage between vip622 receivers

Good, bad, right, wrong.... any way you slice it, this place has a lot of information about Dish. Far more than I have found anywhere else, including the Dish website, and usually more accurate. The good, the bad, and the ugly, I for one appreciate this site.
So do I! So do I!

My postings in this thread were meant as a commentary about Dish's PR failings, just as Charlie admitted to in another thread.

The "3 and out" was a mistake, or at least that is the claim made here.

We all make mistakes but when we find out most of us try to fess up and make it right. Dish's operating mode is to deny deny deny (and maybe leak facts to some people here) and let the customer base at large wonder and worry that they are victim of yet another Dish shafting.

But let me be clear about "where I'm coming from." I think Dish has the best equipment by far. The best channel lineup, HD not withstanding. The smartest engineers and a lot of just plain nice folk working there.

Their single but HUGE short-coming is the abundance of pinheads in management positions

I have a 750gig WD MY Book connected to 622 in my living room and another 750gig WD MY Book connected to my 622 in the bedroom. I knew that usb hard drive swap feature would be a hassle.

What got me almost piss is the csr wanted me to pay $80 for both my 622s and hard drives.

This is what it says on the dish web site.
DIsh home page select products - External hard drive -
• There is a one-time $39.99 activation fee
required that will enable this feature on
all ViP622 and ViP722
receivers on a customer’s account

and in the guide linked off this page
http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/our_products/dish_hd/external_hd/ExternalHDDStorage.pdf

Considerations
• This feature is currently supported on only the ViP622 DVR™ and ViP722 DVR™
receiver models. Your receiver model is listed on the System Information screen
(accessed by MENU-6-1-3 on most receivers).
• Dedicate a hard drive only for use with the DISH Network DVR receiver—do not use
the drive for other purposes (for example, connecting to your computer).
• If content contains copy protection that will impact transferring to the hard drive, you
will see a pop-up message with more information.*
Currently, content on the hard drive can only be viewed using the receiver it came
from. If the receiver that originally recorded the event is no longer available (due to an
equipment return, for example), the content can still be viewed using a compatible
receiver or replacement receiver on the account.
• Ensure the hard drive is kept in a cool, well-ventilated location for optimum hard drive
longevity. Do not move the drive while it is on.
• Content transferred to the external hard drive is only listed under the USB Storage
option—it is moved from the My Recordings list.

May need to send the dish csr's here first ! :)

• There is a one-time $39.99 activation fee
required that will enable this feature on
all ViP622 and ViP722
receivers on a customer’s account

and in the guide linked off this page
http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/our_products/dish_hd/external_hd/ExternalHDDStorage.pdf

Considerations
• This feature is currently supported on only the ViP622 DVR™ and ViP722 DVR™
receiver models. Your receiver model is listed on the System Information screen
(accessed by MENU-6-1-3 on most receivers).
• Dedicate a hard drive only for use with the DISH Network DVR receiver—do not use
the drive for other purposes (for example, connecting to your computer).
• If content contains copy protection that will impact transferring to the hard drive, you
will see a pop-up message with more information.*
Currently, content on the hard drive can only be viewed using the receiver it came
from. If the receiver that originally recorded the event is no longer available (due to an
equipment return, for example), the content can still be viewed using a compatible
receiver or replacement receiver on the account.
• Ensure the hard drive is kept in a cool, well-ventilated location for optimum hard drive
longevity. Do not move the drive while it is on.
• Content transferred to the external hard drive is only listed under the USB Storage
option—it is moved from the My Recordings list.

May need to send the dish csr's here first ! :)

"• If content contains copy protection that will impact transferring to the hard drive, you
will see a pop-up message with more information.*"

Has anybody seen this yet? I have not and I have transfered dozens of movies to my external device.

"• If content contains copy protection that will impact transferring to the hard drive, you
will see a pop-up message with more information.*"

Has anybody seen this yet? I have not and I have transfered dozens of movies to my external device.

I haven't seen it.

A). Buy a second hard drive.

B). Move as much programming as you can to the 622 that it is currently "married" to.

C). Connect the #2 hard drive and move that programming to the new hard drive.

D). Move any more programming from #1 hard drive to the 622.

E). Repeat steps B-D until #1 hard drive is empty.

F). Have the 622 reformat #1 hard drive.

You are now ready to begin the swapping process between your 622's another 3 times.

There is ALWAYS a work around, no matter what obstacles you have.

Another consideration is to use external HDDs that are small enough that they contain only the same amount of programming as the 622 HDD, so you can always restore and copy to a freshly formatted ExtHDD. This method also ensures that if a drive fails you loose fewer programs.

• Currently, content on the hard drive can only be viewed using the receiver it camefrom. If the receiver that originally recorded the event is no longer available (due to an equipment return, for example), the content can still be viewed using a compatible receiver or replacement receiver on the account.
I don't find the phrase "but only three times" anywhere. And come to think of it I've never seen or heard the "If the receiver that originally recorded the event is no longer available" before either but it sure looks like a loophole to justify NEVER removing the "3 and out" limit. They can say "After all, how many times will a receiver be "no longer available"?.

And though I a lot of folks are tired of hearing it, why do you suppose the Tech Chat boys didn't just let folks know whether or not the 3 limit was going away?

I don't find the phrase "but only three times" anywhere. And come to think of it I've never seen or heard the "If the receiver that originally recorded the event is no longer available" before either but it sure looks like a loophole to justify NEVER removing the "3 and out" limit. They can say "After all, how many times will a receiver be "no longer available"?.

And though I a lot of folks are tired of hearing it, why do you suppose the Tech Chat boys didn't just let folks know whether or not the 3 limit was going away?

You haven't seen or heard it because it isn't something you'd see on the screen. They just mean that if your box craps out and you lose all your programming on the DVR, like you traditionally would on an internal hard drive, they are allowing for you to view your external hard drive stuff from your new DVR when it comes. This is actually a good thing for us :)

Think about it... A year ago, before external storage, you'd be SOL if your box crapped out. I lost a bunch of movies earlier this year.

B). Move as much programming as you can to the 622 that it is currently "married" to.

You are now ready to begin the swapping process between your 622's another 3 times.

There is ALWAYS a work around, no matter what obstacles you have.

Another consideration is to use external HDDs that are small enough that they contain only the same amount of programming as the 622 HDD, so you can always restore and copy to a freshly formatted ExtHDD. This method also ensures that if a drive fails you loose fewer programs.
Easier than that:

Disconnect the DVR and EHD from room A where the movie is saved and take the equipment to room B and just plug in both power cords, USB and HMDI (and separate sound, if need) and go for it. No dish connection is needed to watch saved shows.

Or just:

"Good news, bad news guys. My wife recorded the Superbowl we missed while saving the cat in the tree.! Bad news, she saved it in the bedroom and she says no nachos on the bedspread. Oh, and bring your own pillow."

or

"Hey honey! I still have "Seven Days and Seven Nights" on the den EHD so what do you say we drag the mattress in there and watch it together tonight? It'll be just like when we were going steady. Honey? Honey, where are you going? What's the matter? What did I say?"

Actually step F can be avoided. Once all the movies are emptied off the EXT hard drive, it's considered virgin.

Think about it... A year ago, before external storage, you'd be SOL if your box crapped out. I lost a bunch of movies earlier this year.
Skottey, you're absolutely right. And I should be more grateful but the 3 limit p***** me off like the non-HD HD stations do you.

We're just a couple of ingrates but about different things.

Skottey, you're absolutely right. And I should be more grateful but the 3 limit p***** me off like the non-HD HD stations do you.

We're just a couple of ingrates but about different things.

Oh, the 3 limit pisses me off too.... I am just saying, I think the previous post about the external box working with ones replacement DVR was taken out of context. Given their strict 3 limit BS, one should be surprised they at least let you watch your stuff on a REPLACEMENT DVR. At least I am. They are so strict with this kind of thing (the three limit, the copy protection when burning to DVD) that I feel like they threw us a bone by letting us watch our own stuff. Sad, very sad.

They are so strict with this kind of thing (the three limit, the copy protection when burning to DVD) that I feel like they threw us a bone by letting us watch our own stuff. Sad, very sad.
Right again.

I gotta go now. The grandkids need my bed to watch Polar Express for the umpteenth time.

(Actually I'm joking. I only have one 622 but if I DID have two DVRs I'd sure be seething about now. And the g-kids are really 180 miles from my bed and I don't have Polar Express or March of the Penguins on DVR. And anyway their dad has to bring DVDs for them to watch when they do show up cause grampa is a really crabby bastard)

Kind of curious about the 3 time limit. I have had to replace my 622 2 times and have the 3rd one waiting for me at home. Each one had a different problem that couldn't be corrected, thus replacements! My question is, I have switched out 3 times already and does it make a difference if the reciever is different each time. I another words, could you switch out to say 6 different recievers with no problem? I initiated my original one with the EHD, then the HDMI connect went out. I got a replacement and initiated the EHD to that one before I found out the second one had a problem with the remote control address, so I went BACK to my first one and re-initiated the EHD again! That would be 3 times. I got another replacement reciever, the third one and found out that one could not be authorized, thus another one is comint to me! I don't remember initiating the EHD again to this third one. I then went back to the original one and initiated the EHD to that one. 4 times now. I recieved the third replacement, my 4th 622, and have reservations about even trying to swap it out because I don't want to lose everything on the EHD. Will I get a warning stating I have exceeded my 3 times and will lose all recordings, or will it not authorize a setup? Since this is a different reciever will the software see that the program hasn't been downloaded to the HD and think that this is a first time and proceed with no problems? I think I will call Tech Support when it comes to this so I am safe. Thanks

Kind of curious about the 3 time limit. I have had to replace my 622 2 times and have the 3rd one waiting for me at home. Each one had a different problem that couldn't be corrected, thus replacements! My question is, I have switched out 3 times already and does it make a difference if the reciever is different each time. I another words, could you switch out to say 6 different recievers with no problem? I initiated my original one with the EHD, then the HDMI connect went out. I got a replacement and initiated the EHD to that one before I found out the second one had a problem with the remote control address, so I went BACK to my first one and re-initiated the EHD again! That would be 3 times. I got another replacement reciever, the third one and found out that one could not be authorized, thus another one is comint to me! I don't remember initiating the EHD again to this third one. I then went back to the original one and initiated the EHD to that one. 4 times now. I recieved the third replacement, my 4th 622, and have reservations about even trying to swap it out because I don't want to lose everything on the EHD. Will I get a warning stating I have exceeded my 3 times and will lose all recordings, or will it not authorize a setup? Since this is a different reciever will the software see that the program hasn't been downloaded to the HD and think that this is a first time and proceed with no problems? I think I will call Tech Support when it comes to this so I am safe. Thanks

This is where the exception comes in. If your 622 breaks and you get replacement repeatedly, it should still read your external drive stuff just fine. Where the three comes into play is switching between let's say, your living room and bedroom DVRs. You can't just keep dragging that drive back and forth (more than three switches) or it will format the drive. You are safe. But if it threatens to format your stuff, I would call support before allowing it. They should be able to wave their magic wand and allow the switch.

I can't imagine swapping out my box as many times as you. I'd be angry. I swallowed my anger during the firmware release right after external hard drive support began. I activated mine and got it to see the 622, but then I got a bad firmware push and the box kept rebooting. On the plus side, they'd told me 5 business days for the replacement and I got it the next day or day after. It has worked great since (July I think) and I keep dumping movies to it (750 western digital)

You know, I'm pissed about this limitation too, but I try to take it in stride. Just got a 722 to go in my new theater room. Already have a 622 downstairs. It would be great to freely transfer shows between them (or just view them off the hard drive). But I'm not that surprised they are limiting this right now. Hey, before recently, you couldn't do external storage at all, so I suppose we should be thankful we have this. I know some of the other providers have allowed external storage for a while, but would you get as good of a DVR from them?

I think they have this limit because they are required by law to prevent illegal copying. Yes, transferring between two DVRs on the same account is legal, but to allow that, Dish would need the software in place to KNOW that both DVRs are on the same account. That may be easier said than done. Especially when you consider that it has to be bullet proof so that people don't try to circumvent it. Plus we know Dish's rate of bugs in their software updates - adding this feature may be delicate surgery for a 622 and 722 DVR. On top of all this, there could possibly be contractual issues with some of their providers that they are trying to sort out.

It sucks, but these things take time, often a LOT of time. We're just going to have to be patient.

Maybe not logical, but brings up a point. Has anyone tried taking an EHD from their machine to another EHD-activated (but not on their account) machine? Or have we all just taken their word that it's limited to the account?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts