Can't Pause and Resume a Program Being Recorded on Hopper 3

I bet so too. There is no problem while still recording. It is when it has completed recording is when it doesn't work.

So none of these techniques will work for viewing room-to-room and being able to resume where I left off while the program is recording. After the recording is done the pause/resume from different rooms works fine.

And unrelated, but what complicated it even more, was that my local CBS affiliate eliminated the time from the bottom of the screen, and I was really lost. Luckily they brought it back.

Reactions: charlesrshell
So none of these techniques will work for viewing room-to-room and being able to resume where I left off while the program is recording. After the recording is done the pause/resume from different rooms works fine.

And unrelated, but what complicated it even more, was that my local CBS affiliate eliminated the time from the bottom of the screen, and I was really lost. Luckily they brought it back.
I will have to try that out sometime. Joeys are new to us. Before I upgraded to Hopper 3s I had four HWSs so it was always a Hopper that the resume didn't work. Now that I have some Joeys I will try that out. If it does work I don't think the wife will be happy with that. We would have to go to bed where the Joeys are to resume something that we would rather watch from the Hopper. But if it works, that is better than nothing.

I bet so too. There is no problem while still recording. It is when it has completed recording is when it doesn't work.

That Is correct. From day one I have never had a problem resuming to a paused location AFTER the recording ended. It would offer Resume as a choice. My problem was always WHILE a recording was occurring, which is what the original poster described.

Standard example is to toggle between two current programs. Yes I knew about the swap feature, but that is only 2 programs and easy to get messed up and jump to live. By recording multiple existing programs now I can pause each and resume to them individually with the PLAY selection.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. Again, my reply was for the original poster, cjdish.

That is so last century: actually expecting software to come with some kind of training or manual. I mean, who does that anymore? ;)
I'm very interested in trying the "work arounds".. and will do so shortly. In the meantime, my "workaround" (which is not too great), is to actually stop the recording when I want to watch a program that I'm recording. Then, I instantly start a new recording of the same program. The "first" portion of the program then works fine.. ie , I can pause while watching it and when I I go back to the program I get the option to "resume" where I left off. For a short program this may not be a big deal, but if I'm recording a 6 hour Tennis program, this does seem to give me some "relief".

That Is correct. From day one I have never had a problem resuming to a paused location AFTER the recording ended. It would offer Resume as a choice. My problem was always WHILE a recording was occurring, which is what the original poster described.

Standard example is to toggle between two current programs. Yes I knew about the swap feature, but that is only 2 programs and easy to get messed up and jump to live. By recording multiple existing programs now I can pause each and resume to them individually with the PLAY selection.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. Again, my reply was for the original poster, cjdish.
Strange that we have the opposite situation.

I'm very interested in trying the "work arounds".. and will do so shortly. In the meantime, my "workaround" (which is not too great), is to actually stop the recording when I want to watch a program that I'm recording. Then, I instantly start a new recording of the same program. The "first" portion of the program then works fine.. ie , I can pause while watching it and when I I go back to the program I get the option to "resume" where I left off. For a short program this may not be a big deal, but if I'm recording a 6 hour Tennis program, this does seem to give me some "relief".
That is exactly what I do sometimes.

Reactions: barryaz1
Strange that we have the opposite situation.
I tried the PLAY button, and for me it works just like AshevilleHoo said. To summarize what I did... A chose a program that was being recorded, and started watching it from the beginning. I had to find a way to stop playback without stopping recording. So I brought up the guide and simply chose a random live program. I then went back to the DVR menu and went to the program being recorded and hit the PLAY button; and it "resumed" the program from where I left off. I did this all on the Hopper, and haven't tried it with the Joey yet! PS... it's a bit confusing to me that some of the posters said that they couldn't "resume" programs being recorded on the Hopper2 w/Sling. I never had a problem with it! Also, once a program is finished recording, I have been able to Pause/Resume on the Hopper 2w/Sling and the Hopper 3. PS ... I have the new 52 Remote and the old 40 Remote. My experience on the Hopper 3 is the same no matter which remote I have.... the only difference being having to hit different keys to STOP a recording. I see no advantage to the new 52 Remote except for it's smaller size. For me the keys don't feel as good; and the keys are not as intuitive as on the old remote!

I tried the PLAY button, and for me it works just like AshevilleHoo said. To summarize what I did... A chose a program that was being recorded, and started watching it from the beginning. I had to find a way to stop playback without stopping recording. So I brought up the guide and simply chose a random live program. I then went back to the DVR menu and went to the program being recorded and hit the PLAY button; and it "resumed" the program from where I left off. I did this all on the Hopper, and haven't tried it with the Joey yet! PS... it's a bit confusing to me that some of the posters said that they couldn't "resume" programs being recorded on the Hopper2 w/Sling. I never had a problem with it! Also, once a program is finished recording, I have been able to Pause/Resume on the Hopper 2w/Sling and the Hopper 3. PS ... I have the new 52 Remote and the old 40 Remote. My experience on the Hopper 3 is the same no matter which remote I have.... the only difference being having to hit different keys to STOP a recording. I see no advantage to the new 52 Remote except for it's smaller size. For me the keys don't feel as good; and the keys are not as intuitive as on the old remote!
I ran test this morning on one of my H3s, 4KJ, and a WJ. I was able to use the play button and get the resume to work but had no luck if the program had finish recording. The way I stopped the recording was by hitting pause and then live TV. Wife will be home soon so tomorrow I will test again and use the guide to stop the recording like you did. Maybe the resume will work too after the program has finished recording like you are able to do. The resume never worked for me when I had HWSs. How many HWSs did you have? Maybe the MoCA is confusing things with multiple Hoppers. Thanks for your post.

I ran test this morning on one of my H3s, 4KJ, and a WJ. I was able to use the play button and get the resume to work but had no luck if the program had finish recording. The way I stopped the recording was by hitting pause and then live TV. Wife will be home soon so tomorrow I will test again and use the guide to stop the recording like you did. Maybe the resume will work too after the program has finished recording like you are able to do. The resume never worked for me when I had HWSs. How many HWSs did you have? Maybe the MoCA is confusing things with multiple Hoppers. Thanks for your post.

On my old system I had one H2/Sling; one super Joey; and one Joey1. My new system has one H3/Sling; and two Joey2's. I tried a few more things:
1. Used PAUSE to stop the program ; then went to a different live program; and as long as I chose the PLAY button, I was able to "resume" where I left off. Again, if I SELECTED the program, I didn't have any options except for LIVE or START.

2. While doing all this I also went to one of the Joeys... and as long as I found the program and hit the PLAY button, it gave me the option of resuming where I left off on the Hopper. After doing all of this and going back to the HOPPER, I found the program and hit the PLAY button, if very nicely gave me all the choices I needed (ie, it showed where I had paused on both the Hopper and Joey, and I could chose either of them or go back to the start,,,,,, in other words everything to me worked as it should!!)

3. So the bottom line to me is that as as long as you hit the PLAY button, you are able to PAUSE/RESUME a program that is being recorded just like one that has finished recording. The only slight mystery to me is that when I go back to a program where I have paused or switched-off by going to another program... it appears that it is a few seconds past the point where I actually left it!!

On my old system I had one H2/Sling; one super Joey; and one Joey1. My new system has one H3/Sling; and two Joey2's. I tried a few more things:
1. Used PAUSE to stop the program ; then went to a different live program; and as long as I chose the PLAY button, I was able to "resume" where I left off. Again, if I SELECTED the program, I didn't have any options except for LIVE or START.

2. While doing all this I also went to one of the Joeys... and as long as I found the program and hit the PLAY button, it gave me the option of resuming where I left off on the Hopper. After doing all of this and going back to the HOPPER, I found the program and hit the PLAY button, if very nicely gave me all the choices I needed (ie, it showed where I had paused on both the Hopper and Joey, and I could chose either of them or go back to the start,,,,,, in other words everything to me worked as it should!!)

3. So the bottom line to me is that as as long as you hit the PLAY button, you are able to PAUSE/RESUME a program that is being recorded just like one that has finished recording. The only slight mystery to me is that when I go back to a program where I have paused or switched-off by going to another program... it appears that it is a few seconds past the point where I actually left it!!
Just got done with another test. I too always use the Play button. Again resume works as long as the program is still recording. After the recording is complete it starts at the beginning when I hit the Play button. Wonder why my Hopper doesn't work like yours does. I am using a 40.0 remote. I wouldn't think it would make any difference if I used a 52.0.

Just got done with another test. I too always use the Play button. Again resume works as long as the program is still recording. After the recording is complete it starts at the beginning when I hit the Play button. Wonder why my Hopper doesn't work like yours does. I am using a 40.0 remote. I wouldn't think it would make any difference if I used a 52.0.

I hate it when I can't understand stuff... I never used the PLAY button when selecting programs that have finished recording, it just never occurred to me to try that.. I always first selected the program then the RESUME feature popped up and I chose it. I experimented more and on a program that had finished recording, it didn't matter if I hit PLAY first or selected the program and then hit RESUME... in both cases the program resumed playing where it had left off. I did this with both remotes .. ie ... the 40 and 52.

It will be interesting if DISH gets back to me with an explanation/reason/workaround/ etc. The lady I spoke to said she would elevate the issue,,,, but I'm not sure if that will really happen!

I hate it when I can't understand stuff... I never used the PLAY button when selecting programs that have finished recording, it just never occurred to me to try that.. I always first selected the program then the RESUME feature popped up and I chose it. I experimented more and on a program that had finished recording, it didn't matter if I hit PLAY first or selected the program and then hit RESUME... in both cases the program resumed playing where it had left off. I did this with both remotes .. ie ... the 40 and 52.

It will be interesting if DISH gets back to me with an explanation/reason/workaround/ etc. The lady I spoke to said she would elevate the issue,,,, but I'm not sure if that will really happen!
I hope DISH gets back with you too. I have emailed DISH tech folks several times starting in 2007 when I started with DISH. All I get back is a thank you for the suggestion.

I will just reiterate that every test/post of cjdish is exactly what I have/had experienced. It had never occurred to me to use anything other than the SELECT button. I apologize for not linking the original thread that I found via a search within this Forum several weeks ago, but I give credit to whoever it was that provided this solution. I am just glad that I could pass it on to cjdish and whoever else may benefit from it, because for me it is a huge difference maker in my comfort and joy of using the DVR. Again, the second feature being the Frame Advance capability which I had also lived without for many months before this Forum helped me find the answer.

FYI: From page 54 of the original Hopper manual:

"PLAYING A RECORDED PROGRAM
To play a program or event recorded on your Hopper HD DVR, do the following:
1 Press the DVR button on your remote control to display the My Recordings screen.
2 Highlight a tile for a program (or folder of programs, if applicable). If you want to watch the program (or the latest recording in a folder of programs), then press the PLAY button. If you want to see more options, press the SELECT button to show a pop-up menu."

From page 10 of the HWS getting started manual:

"Watching and Managing Your Recordings
a. Press DVR.
b. Use the ARROWS on your remote to highlight the recording in your DVR that you wish to watch, then press SELECT.
c. Highlight Watch, then press SELECT."

I will just reiterate that every test/post of cjdish is exactly what I have/had experienced. It had never occurred to me to use anything other than the SELECT button. I apologize for not linking the original thread that I found via a search within this Forum several weeks ago, but I give credit to whoever it was that provided this solution. I am just glad that I could pass it on to cjdish and whoever else may benefit from it, because for me it is a huge difference maker in my comfort and joy of using the DVR. Again, the second feature being the Frame Advance capability which I had also lived without for many months before this Forum helped me find the answer.
Thanks Asheville Hoo. I just wish I know why my Hopper does not resume from using Select or the Play button, it starts at the beginning. When I pause a program that is recording and then go back to it after it has completed recording it always goes back to the beginning. From all these post yours and cydish Hoppers do not act this way. I must not be doing something right. I wish I could figure it out. It is a PITA for us when we watch car race programs and wish to pause the recordings.

FYI: From page 54 of the original Hopper manual:

"PLAYING A RECORDED PROGRAM
To play a program or event recorded on your Hopper HD DVR, do the following:
1 Press the DVR button on your remote control to display the My Recordings screen.
2 Highlight a tile for a program (or folder of programs, if applicable). If you want to watch the program (or the latest recording in a folder of programs), then press the PLAY button. If you want to see more options, press the SELECT button to show a pop-up menu."

From page 10 of the HWS getting started manual:

"Watching and Managing Your Recordings
a. Press DVR.
b. Use the ARROWS on your remote to highlight the recording in your DVR that you wish to watch, then press SELECT.
c. Highlight Watch, then press SELECT."
For my Hoppers these instructions work great for a recorded program unless the the program was paused while still recording.

For my Hoppers these instructions work great for a recorded program unless the the program was paused while still recording.

Yeah, I'm with you. I just was trying to point out that Dish hasn't been clear on the steps to take when initiating playback, so I can understand why many people never even thought to press "play" instead of "select."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)