Can't pick up 61.5 and 72.7 together

Terry Gilbert

Original poster
May 2, 2020
Birch Run, MI 48415
Ok, so I will try to provide as much info as possible....

Current equipment:
Dish VIP 722k
Dish 500 dish
Upgraded Dish HD LNB (as seen in photos)

So my old setup was pointed at the 110 and 119 satellites and I wanted to move it over to the Eastern Arc so I could get all the HD channels instead of just the couple I was getting on 110/119. I bought the HD LNB shown in the photos and added it to my Dish 500 dish. My dad lives a couple miles away from me and got a ballpark elevation and skew settings and used an app on my phone to show me where 61.5 and 72.7 are. I made a crappy drawing that gives you a view from behind my dish, showing the location of the 2 satellites I am trying to connect to. Problem is I am only picking up the 61.5 Satellite. I get a great signal, 60-65 on most channels but in the check switch, only the 61.5 shows up. I attached a photo showing the check switch screen......Now something I noticed, my Dad said his check switch page shows 72.7 in port 1 and 61.5 in port 2 but mine has 61.5 in port 1? If that's the case, do the eyes on the LNB pick up signals across from each other? I ask because I used foil and the eye on the left of the LNB is the one currently picking up 61.5, which makes sense because as seen on my photo, 61.5 is to the left of 72.7 but if the other eye on the right side of the LNB is supposed to pick up 61.5, I assume the signals cross?

Either way, I have not been able to get both satellites picked up at the same time and wonder if anyone has any ideas? If the signals cross, do I try to pick up 72.7 with the left eye on the LNB? Thanks for any suggestions!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200502-212538_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20200502-212538_eBay.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 345
  • Screenshot_20200502-212532_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20200502-212532_eBay.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 308
  • Screenshot_20200502-212520_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20200502-212520_eBay.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 324
  • Screenshot_20200502-212159_Samsung Notes.jpg
    Screenshot_20200502-212159_Samsung Notes.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 309
  • 20200502_215246.jpg
    20200502_215246.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 359
Ok, so I will try to provide as much info as possible....

Current equipment:
Dish VIP 722k
Dish 500 dish
Upgraded Dish HD LNB (as seen in photos)

So my old setup was pointed at the 110 and 119 satellites and I wanted to move it over to the Eastern Arc so I could get all the HD channels instead of just the couple I was getting on 110/119. I bought the HD LNB shown in the photos and added it to my Dish 500 dish. My dad lives a couple miles away from me and got a ballpark elevation and skew settings and used an app on my phone to show me where 61.5 and 72.7 are. I made a crappy drawing that gives you a view from behind my dish, showing the location of the 2 satellites I am trying to connect to. Problem is I am only picking up the 61.5 Satellite. I get a great signal, 60-65 on most channels but in the check switch, only the 61.5 shows up. I attached a photo showing the check switch screen......Now something I noticed, my Dad said his check switch page shows 72.7 in port 1 and 61.5 in port 2 but mine has 61.5 in port 1? If that's the case, do the eyes on the LNB pick up signals across from each other? I ask because I used foil and the eye on the left of the LNB is the one currently picking up 61.5, which makes sense because as seen on my photo, 61.5 is to the left of 72.7 but if the other eye on the right side of the LNB is supposed to pick up 61.5, I assume the signals cross?

Either way, I have not been able to get both satellites picked up at the same time and wonder if anyone has any ideas? If the signals cross, do I try to pick up 72.7 with the left eye on the LNB? Thanks for any suggestions!
Can you take a pick of the Dish and LNB as you assembled them please

When you stand behind the dish looking at the white plastic eyes of the LNB the left is 72 and the right is 61... In other words they do cross each other to the satellites.. from what I'm reading I assume you are standing behind the dish and the left LNB is hitting 61 which means your on the wrong satellite..

When you stand behind the dish looking at the white plastic eyes of the LNB the left is 72 and the right is 61... In other words they do cross each other to the satellites.. from what I'm reading I assume you are standing behind the dish and the left LNB is hitting 61 which means your on the wrong satellite..

Yes, standing behind it, the left LNB is on 61.5....So I will need to adjust the elevation a little and move to the right so that the left eye hits 72.7.....(I think 72.7 is higher than 61.5 so that's why I say adjust elevation.)

Reactions: TheKrell
Also, not sure what you are using to view this thread, but I noticed the photos I uploaded don't fully show up on my phone but they look good on my regular PC....if you are on a phone you might have to switch to desktop mode to view them fully.

What dish do you have ?

Attachments

• dish 1.JPG
    dish 1.JPG
    12.4 KB · Views: 259
  • dish 2.JPG
    dish 2.JPG
    12.6 KB · Views: 265
  • dish 3.jpg
    dish 3.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 225
Which is why I wanted the picture. As Brussam said, that LNBF is not compatable with a 500 Dish,. I'm not even sure how you got it attached since the brackets are different. The first pic in babnmn 's post is the setup you need

I bought the LNB and the correct Yoke, it fits perfect with no issues. Also, I have seen multiple times on different forums that my dish will work just fine as long as the correct LNB is on it. I'll go grab that photo in a minute

3. And like I said above, there are threads all over this and other forums of people saying they got their dish 500 to work on the EA with the LNB I have installed. Only reason I attempted to try it.
It's theoretically possible but wouldn't get optimum signals. For one, the reflector itself is a different size, shape, and curvature and the feed arm is much shorter than the 1000.2 dish which that LNB was made for. I know this sounds condescending and I don't mean it to, but there is a science to all this. The size and shape of the Dish. The separation between lenses on the LNB. The angles, all of it engineered to receive the best signal possible

I undeestand completely what you are getting at about the science of it. I just thought the size/shape of the 2 dishes was the same or at least close to the same. I figured my signals would probably be a little weaker anyways doing it this way, just hoped it would be good enough until I got the correct dish.

So back to the first question in the thread.....Am I to assume that I need to lock the dish in on the 72.7 Satellite to pick up both satellites?

So back to the first question in the thread.....Am I to assume that I need to lock the dish in on the 72.7 Satellite to pick up both satellites?

Normally, yes. However, by using the incorrect dish, you're having to compromise the signal on both sats so the normal rules don't apply.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)