Can't play back transferred recordings on either Hopper but new native recording playbak fine.

ThomasTrain

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 13, 2006
To clarify a bit, I upgraded to a 2H/2J system on Friday (aka: day 0) (I *upgraded* from a pair of 722K units) and prior to replacing the IRDs, I transferred my recording from each 722k to an external hard drive (two differnet drives and two different manufacturers). On Friday afternoon, after the install, I moved all the recordings onto the new hoppers (approach was to copy the recordings from the old 722k to the corrosponding replacement hopper i.e.: a one for one deal). Everything transferred successfully and I was able to playback both the transferred and new recordings without issue on both Day 0 and Day 1.

I am now on Day 2 of my Hopper ownership and I noticed today that although all of my previous recordings are on the hopper units (they were successfully transferred with no error messages), I'm now unable to play back the recordings. Most of them simply start like they are going to play and display no error message, but on one of them, I got an error message:

"A problem was encountered when opening the files for this DVR event. Please note the Error Code: 04."

This is affecting BOTH of my hopper units but one both of them my new PTAT recordings that have occured since Day 0 all play back just fine as do some new DVR recordings.

Anyone seen this before and have any tips? I have reset both hoppers using the red button on the front panel but there was no change.

Advice to anyone with EHD recordings from previous receivers: It is so easy to play EHD recordings directly from the EHD with the Hopper, don't risk transferring them at this time.

Advice to anyone with EHD recordings from previous receivers: It is so easy to play EHD recordings directly from the EHD with the Hopper, don't risk transferring them at this time.

I have not transferred my recordings, BUT it is not easy for me to play from my EHD. Every couple of hours, my hopper forgets the EHD is attached. I have to unplug the power from the EHD, wait 10 seconds and reattach the power.
I will not risk transferring the recordings after all I've read here.

Well, I opened a chat with Dish 'Advanced test support' and they claim it is a known issue with the software they release a few weeks ago and there is a new software version coming out "this week" that should resolve it.

I'm an avid SatelliteGuys viewer and Since I haven't seen anything on here about new software.. I'm inclined to call BS on the techs claim. HAs anyone heard anything about a new software release this week?

Well, I opened a chat with Dish 'Advanced test support' and they claim it is a known issue with the software they release a few weeks ago and there is a new software version coming out "this week" that should resolve it.

I'm an avid SatelliteGuys viewer and Since I haven't seen anything on here about new software.. I'm inclined to call BS on the techs claim. HAs anyone heard anything about a new software release this week?

which claim, that's a new software broke transfers from external devices, or that the fix is slated for launch this week?

we know the first is already true. only dish knows the projected date for the next software release. it could well be this week. it could have problems and be delayed period. too soon to tell at this point.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

This is an old issue from the last software release.

I lost countless programs transferred from the VIP receivers when I 'upgraded' to Hopper.

I too have had this problem from day 1 and had been told (off the original software version) that a fix would be in future releases. Do a search and you'll see several threads/posts from me about this as it was the only major problem I encountered since switching over. Normally I would just assume they are lost since they were probably corrupted in the transfer process but in my case they are stuck at the end as if they have been watched but you can't go back or restart or anything else. I still have a few shows left that haven't re-aired yet that I'm holding out slim hope for.

We recently had to get a replacement Hopper receiver. I bought an external Hard Drive to move over our saved shows. The transfer back is done (I think), but some of the shows when I try to open them are getting an Error Code 04.

Any thoughts on what I can do to resolve the error? Also, how do I know for sure that the transfer to the External Hard Drive is complete?

What if you've only used the EHD to move content from another receiver, and want to use it somewhere else? The Hopper's HD is big enough that I could certainly come up with other uses for an EHD.

What if you've only used the EHD to move content from another receiver, and want to use it somewhere else? The Hopper's HD is big enough that I could certainly come up with other uses for an EHD.

Good idea though I don't think it's practical as it's formating probably won't permit use on a Windows PC. Besides a 2 hour movie/show sucks up a lot of HD space.

Hopper EHD Playback Failes with Error 40

UGH! I just did the exact same upgrade this week (except 722 vs 722K). Two drives, same deal. I transferred the "old" files to my Hopper in my office so I could watch them in my Living Room Hopper (which is a GREAT feature). Had I known there was an issue after the transfer, I would have just watched the programs off the EHD downstairs. Up until last night, I have been elated with the new setup and was ready to post a shower of praise on this forum.

And I have S222.

Will there be any hope for this being fixed, or am I out of luck? There are now several programs that we are a week or two behind and don't want to watch the new ones until we catch up.

EDIT: The "Record Date" for these programs show up as '02/07/2106'. And I am able to play some of the programs back, but not sure if it is because they are SD or if it is because they are really old (like a year or two--cooking shows).

Last edited:
They REALLY need to fix this, as it's the main thing keeping me from getting a Hopper!

I don't have an EHD now, so with the Hopper's bigger internal HD, the only reason I'd buy one would be to transfer recordings. I certainly wouldn't want it sitting around all the time. I'd either find another use for it or sell it. But I can't do that if I can't transfer recordings to the Hopper. :(

And then there's the most infuriating thing of all, for a geek like me: the fact that (like so many other Dish things) it works for some people and not others. Non-deterministic behavior is NOT what you want in a digital system! Yes, yes, I know, any large system is statistically likely to have bugs, BUT, why haven't they fixed it yet? I've said it before, I'll say it again: As Dish is the sole provider of hardware, software, and programming for their system, they should have no problems making it just WORK. There shouldn't be any unforeseen problems by the time it's in the consumer's hands.

EDIT: The "Record Date" for these programs show up as '02/07/2106'.
Just think, in 94 years, you'll be able to watch the rest of those shows. :D

(Not a useful comment, but a little levity in the face of such a serious problem can't hurt)

They REALLY need to fix this, as it's the main thing keeping me from getting a Hopper!

Do not let this stop you from upgrading. Learn from the pain of others and just leave the recordings on the EHD. Those that I did not transfer still play off the EHD. While not convenient, I would've been just as happy catching up with our shows and then deleting them off the EHD had I'd known about this bug.

I am absolutely thrilled with the new hardware so far, especially the ability to watch a programs recorded on either of my hoppers from any device, be it a Joey or another hopper. It is well worth it to upgrade.

Personally, I'm to the point where I've given up hope this will ever be resolved. To me it's just another 'chink in the armor' in a long history of epic failures with Dish engineering and Dish customer service and their complete lack of transparency in telling their customers about known problems (or B.S.ing customers that it is not a known problem) - hell a simple advisory anywhere on the Dish site or from the installer would have saved my hundred of lost hours of archives.

If they hadn't given me the hoppers completely free, I'd be looking for a refund but then again it all goes back to a single simple truth as consumers: "Caveat emptor".

Personally, I'm to the point where I've given up hope this will ever be resolved. To me it's just another 'chink in the armor' in a long history of epic failures with Dish engineering and Dish customer service and their complete lack of transparency in telling their customers about known problems (or B.S.ing customers that it is not a known problem) - hell a simple advisory anywhere on the Dish site or from the installer would have saved my hundred of lost hours of archives.

I called my installer and let him know about this issue so that he can forewarn others that are upgrading. He was unaware of the issue and grateful for the feedback.

I don't have an EHD now, so with the Hopper's bigger internal HD, the only reason I'd buy one would be to transfer recordings. I certainly wouldn't want it sitting around all the time. I'd either find another use for it or sell it. But I can't do that if I can't transfer recordings to the Hopper. :(...

You can transfer recordings from the 722/622 to a Hopper, but there have been occasional errors, mine all worked on my wife's Hopper. The Hopper easily plays EHD recordings transparently, so for the time being why risk losing recordings? It's not the end of the world to use a $59 drive for now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)