Can't Receive HD Locals OTA

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Swoop

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 16, 2005
So I live in an area where it's impossible to receive any kind of OTA tv signal, unless of course I put up an 80 ft tower with a directional antenna, which I'm not going to do. I currently receive my local channels through Dish Network but the HD signal for those locals aren't carried by DishNetwork. Is it possible to receive some kind of National HD network channels through Dish since I can't get my locals HD signal OTA?

So I live in an area where it's impossible to receive any kind of OTA tv signal, unless of course I put up an 80 ft tower with a directional antenna, which I'm not going to do. I currently receive my local channels through Dish Network but the HD signal for those locals aren't carried by DishNetwork. Is it possible to receive some kind of National HD network channels through Dish since I can't get my locals HD signal OTA?
The answer to your specific question is no. BUT, search the Dish Forum for "Moving to another city". Lots of threads about it.

OTA "HD" is everywhere!!

EXCEPTIONS??? Are you in Alaska? Otherwise. the past five years I've found picking up of OTA of HD signals of local and adjacent local stations with an INDOOR ANTENNA rather easily. Note: The DTV transmissions are not at full power yet. ... at about 15Kw, and not the normal 150Ks now being used for NTSC xtals.

chuck-Augusta, GA

PS: Where are you located? (direcTV land maybe.)

EXCEPTIONS??? Are you in Alaska? Otherwise. the past five years I've found picking up of OTA of HD signals of local and adjacent local stations with an INDOOR ANTENNA rather easily. Note: The DTV transmissions are not at full power yet. ... at about 15Kw, and not the normal 150Ks now being used for NTSC xtals.

chuck-Augusta, GA

PS: Where are you located? (direcTV land maybe.)

There are lots of places where the affiliates have failed to provide a good digital OTA signal and several that provide a digital signal but it isn't HD.

Try this thread:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-hd-discussions/113397-help-moving.html

I live less than 3 miles from the "big four" tower sites, and I cannot pick up 2 of the 4 reliably with an indoor antenna. I've tried two different amplified antennas, and tried one non-amplified one hoping that i might be getting too much signal being in close proximity.

Do you have an attic or a garage with some space? Get a Radio Shack U-75 outdoor ($29.95) and tilt it upward toward the towers.

No amplifier for that close.

I have seen a CM4221 installed and tilted upwards to get better signal.

You're probably dealing with multipath issues too, so get an antenna with good multipath rejection from the back side.

You will not see full power Digitals with the same full power as analog as they are measured differently than the analogs. While the local NTSC UHF's, here are 2-4 mega watts, full power UHF Digital with a larger coverage area than the analogs are in the 100kw range. Our full power 30kw VHF's have a much larger coverage area than our 4 megawatt Analog UHF.

I would try an indoor antenna or a wire stuck in the antenna to see if you can pick up digitals. I've seen this work where the outside antenna has an unusable analog picture.

Digital coverage area is slightly better that analog at the same power level on the same channel, but it is not by 20 times, perhaps as much as 10-15%.

Power range for low UHF channels is around 1,000kW, upper UHF may be allowed 5,000kW, vhf high are around 600Kw, the few vhf low digitals will be around 200kW.

Took some trying but I finally got the four major ones.

I was always able to get 3 of the four pretty reliably with just a paper clip stuck in the center pin of the OTA f-connector on the back of my 722.

But i never could pull in the ABC affiliate.

My fourth antenna purchase seems to do the trick. It's a Phillips self contained amplified job. I sandwiched it between rafters and insulation in an unfinished corner of the upstairs/attic. I can now get all 4 networks reliably.

I'd like to move it outside but I really don't have any good mounting solutions.

Took some trying but I finally got the four major ones.

I was always able to get 3 of the four pretty reliably with just a paper clip stuck in the center pin of the OTA f-connector on the back of my 722.

But i never could pull in the ABC affiliate.

My fourth antenna purchase seems to do the trick. It's a Phillips self contained amplified job. I sandwiched it between rafters and insulation in an unfinished corner of the upstairs/attic. I can now get all 4 networks reliably.

I'd like to move it outside but I really don't have any good mounting solutions.

If you can do it with a paper clip do not get an amplified antenna. That will kill just about all of your chances. Get a cheapo UHF/VHF antenna from WalMart or RadioShack. Something you can bring back if you need to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts