Cant receive PBS on 125 West

Status
Please reply by conversation.

8valve

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 13, 2010
Adirondack Mts
I have been out of the US for almost a year on assignment with my company. Prior to leaving, I received PBS on 125 West. Now I dont receive any of their programs. The "LIST" still shows PBS on 125West. My Openbox S9 always worked well on PBS. Any help appreciated.

Thanks
8Valve

Last edited:
The main transponder (12180 V 30000) went DVB-S2 about 5 months ago.....so you will need to rescan

active TP's...all are DVB-S2 unless noted
12163 H 4444
12169 H 4444
12175 H 4444 DVB still
12145 H 6250
12155 H 6250
12180 V 30000
12107 V 2397 Montana PBS
12114 V 8703 Oklahoma PBS

yes the Openbox will receive it fine

DVB-S2 is just a way they can transmit....it allows them to use less bandwidth (therefore usually saving money)

yes the Openbox will receive it fine

DVB-S2 is just a way they can transmit....it allows them to use less bandwidth (therefore usually saving money)

I did a re-scan on 125West for PBS. All the scan finds is Transponder 11980V with a signal strength of 95 and a quality of 85. I tried both preset scans and blind scans. Nothing is found for PBS or any of the transponders you listed. Any insight what may have happened that I cant receive PBS. Many Thanks for your help

8Valve

8valve, what kind of dish, size, etc....and what LNBF are you using? You can get 11980 on a pie plate just about cause it is so strong. So you are on the right bird, but something is not aligned right if that is all you are getting.

I am unable to get any of the s2 signals with my 3 foot dish in the summer due to tree issues. When the leaves fall I get it but the dish can't be off at all or I lose it. Dish has to be much closer for these new transponders.

8valve, what kind of dish, size, etc....and what LNBF are you using? You can get 11980 on a pie plate just about cause it is so strong. So you are on the right bird, but something is not aligned right if that is all you are getting.

KE4EST;
I have a 40 inch round dish I put put up a few years ago. The LNBF is a .4db. Due to heavy trees and a mountain, I can only receive 72 west to 125 west. in that part of the arc, I am in the clear. Also, there are no leafs on anything here in the Mts. I receive all normal stuff I used to watch from 72 West up to 125 west but not including 125 west programming. Could the dish be a tad off from a snow load while I was gone to effect just one bird in the arc ? Thanks for sny suggestions on checking this out. I really Miss PBS.

Many Thanks
8Valve

Could be: With a motorized dish, motor/pole movement. Check out the pole for plumb and alignment on the arc. How is 72W?? Another possibility is trees growing up^. (This is a good possibility as it's the last satellite in your arc)

Yes Like FaT Air said, it is the last bird on your arc so it is critical that everything be almost perfect. I would go out and do a re-alignment.

Could be: With a motorized dish, motor/pole movement. Check out the pole for plumb and alignment on the arc. How is 72W?? Another possibility is trees growing up^. (This is a good possibility as it's the last satellite in your arc)

I think Fat Air may have hit the answer. There are a few large trees out in the 125 west direction. In the past, till I was gone a year, they were no issue. My son told me it was a very wet summer. Those trees may have grown just enough to be causing the problem.
I will do a re-alignment to check it out. 72 West is fine. I watch NBC news each night with a fine picture and signal. In fact all my birds have a fine signal except 125 west where there are some distant trees. The dish is mounted on the side of a 56 foottower that is self supporting
and anchored with 6 yards of concrete. I am sure that has not moved. Many thanks

8valve

Yep got to be the trees then..;)

Try this.....using any of the "H" transponders that Iceberg outlined on post #3, gently pull or push on the dish to see if the signal comes in or improve. If the signal improves by pulling up on the dish, the elevation is too low, and if signal improves pushing down on the dish, then the elevation is too high. Make sure the Pole is plumb on all sides.

I checked the tracking/alignment today. Its right on the money.
Looking at the top of the tree line I can see two tree leafless branches sticking up where it was once open. This area is right in the 125 west direction. Looks like some tree logging is needed. Its amazing how much tree brancges/limbs can gorw in one years time.

8Valve

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)