CAN'T RECEIVE SAT 119 EVEN TRANSPONDERS

R DAVIS

Original poster
Jan 30, 2007
I have a D 1000.4 WA dish connected to a VIP 211K receiver in south Texas.

Everything was working fine until recently. Now I can receive all 3 sats and programming on them properly EXCEPT nothing on Satellite 119 even numbered transponders will work. I keep getting the error message "complete signal loss"

I tried re aiming the dish to no avail. The installation summary screen shows 119, 110, 129 all green and OK. I show good signal strength (75 or better) on all sats & transponders except 119 even, and NO signal at all on any of those 119 even transponders. I have run check switch several times, and done it with receiver disconnected to clear matrix, but still have the same problem. I installed brand new RG 6 cable (50 ft.) and connector, still same problem. I took my receiver to a friends house who has the same dish, and it worked perfectly there.

I understand it could be a voltage issue as even sats require more voltage, but if that is the case, can it be on only one of the sats (only one lnbf could have a problem) ?

I don't see how it could be an alignment problem if everything else is working as it should. I own all the equipment so would rather solve the problem myself without involving the expense and major inconvenience of having a technician come out.

If I measure the voltage at the LNBF end of the cable, is there a specific voltage I should look for on the even sats? I suspect it may be the 119 LNBF is defective, IF that is possible. In other words, could replacing the LNBFs (all 3 are together on the feed horn) cure the problem? If so, I don't mind just buying a new LNBF assembly and installing it, but don't want to if that is NOT a possibility of being the problem. With the symptoms I am having, is it POSSIBLE that it is an alignment issue ? Since everything else checks out OK I am doubting that, but am not 100% certain.

In other words, could my symptoms be related to a failure of only the 119 lnbf? If so, I will just replace the assembly & hope that fixes it.

Thanks for any advice that might help.

I had a 'stupid' problem like that several years ago and it turned out to be a faulty power transformer to my DPP44 switch... But if you've got the 1000.4, I don't think you have/need a switch right? I remember I would get PASS on all the diagnostics and then it would just fail.. sometimes after a matter of minutes, sometimes after days... No rhyme or reason.

So you're saying you replaced the cable AFTER you started seeing the symptoms? If you have doubts about the cable, You could try to replace the end connectors...simply because that's relatively cheap and I've heard that bad end connectors can cause weird symptoms like you describe. If you've got some more cable, you can try to run it direct from the sat to the receiver (through door or window) temporary to make sure the cable isn't bad.

But based upon what you're saying, it does seem like you've got a dying LNB. If it was an alignment/aiming issue, all transponders on all sats would be whacked--especially the 110 and 129s if it were skew problem. ..Since 119 is the 'middle' it would be the last to show problems.

I can't run diagnostics right now because both channels recording on DVR..but do you remember running the test for LNB drift? I can't remember if that's under the check switch or if that's somewhere else. Perhaps somebody else can chime in on which menu option that is...

If you get a new LNB, just be careful on eBay and others.. I've ordered 'new' LNBs and they show up and it's obvious they were used. If the deal is too good to be true, it probably is.

Let us know!

BAD LNB on 119 Dish Pro doesn't use voltage switching it relies on band stacking to use even and odd transponders on the same cable. DP uses a nominal 18V and usually measures 19 volts.

BAD LNB on 119 Dish Pro doesn't use voltage switching it relies on band stacking to use even and odd transponders on the same cable. DP uses a nominal 18V and usually measures 19 volts.

I don't completely understand your answer. Are you saying it IS a bad LNB ? With no . after BAD LNB I don't know what you mean. If it does not use voltage, is there a mechanical switch or what ? I guess I don't understand how band stacking works, but can't figure how one LNB can receive both horizontal and vertical polarization without some type of switching mechanism. Is there no way to check the LNB using a voltmeter ?

If it's a bad LNB, that's great, I just buy another (new) one and be good to go.

I changed out the cable after the problem and ran it direct from dish to receiver but that didn't solve the problem.

I don't completely understand your answer. Are you saying it IS a bad LNB ? With no . after BAD LNB I don't know what you mean. If it does not use voltage, is there a mechanical switch or what ? I guess I don't understand how band stacking works, but can't figure how one LNB can receive both horizontal and vertical polarization without some type of switching mechanism. Is there no way to check the LNB using a voltmeter ?

If it's a bad LNB, that's great, I just buy another (new) one and be good to go.

I changed out the cable after the problem and ran it direct from dish to receiver but that didn't solve the problem.
Do a google search for DISH bandstacking for a detailed answer. Basicly odd uses 950-1450 Mhz and even uses 1650-2150 Mhz or it may be the other way around it has been to long since I needed to know.

Do a google search for DISH bandstacking for a detailed answer. Basicly odd uses 950-1450 Mhz and even uses 1650-2150 Mhz or it may be the other way around it has been to long since I needed to know.

OK, but I still don't understand "BAD LNB". You didn't end a sentence there. Are you saying that my problem is indicative of a bad LNB? I mean is there probably something wrong with the 119 LNB ?

Thanks

OK, but I still don't understand "BAD LNB". You didn't end a sentence there. Are you saying that my problem is indicative of a bad LNB? I mean is there probably something wrong with the 119 LNB ?

Thanks
Your missing half the signals off 119 what else besides the receiver could it be? Your getting the full 950-2150 from 110 & 129 so the receiver is probably working which leaves the LNB as the best probability.

Every time I have had an odd-even issue, it has always been a bad cable or connector. Since you've ruled them out, it's got to be the LNB. Good luck.

Assuming that he has the same physical equipment, borrow your buddy's LNB assembly and see if that solves your problem. If it does, then you have your answer.

Assuming that he has the same physical equipment, borrow your buddy's LNB assembly and see if that solves your problem. If it does, then you have your answer.

Thanks, I would do that, but his dish is mounted on a very steep second story roof. I ain't going up there. He had to pay the installer quite a bit extra to put it up there, but it was the only place it would clear his trees.

I ordered a 1000.4 WA LNBF assembly (New) from www.sadoun.com for $ 59. That's the only place I could find one. I don't shop e-bay for numerous reasons including use of Pay Pal.

I will let y'all know if that does the job.

Thought I would let y'all know the outcome.
I receivedthe 1000.4 WA LNBF assembly. After installing it, 119 and 110 worked properly, but I had NO reception of sat 129.
Figuring it was a bad replacement LNBF, and with the 1000.4 WA assembly now discontinued, I decided to throw in the towel, and ordered a 1.000 WA dish with a 1000.2 WA LNBF assembly from Solid Signal at a great price. I then mounted my Align A Site mounting bracket on the new dish, dialed in the settings, azimuth, elevation and skew on the Align A Site, and leveled the bubbles. Then I attached the coax, turned on the TV and VIP 211K receiver, ran a check switch, and BINGO, everything is now working fine. All 3 Sats are getting strong signals and receiving all transponders odd and even. I didn't even need to tweak the settings. I'm glad to be rid of that 1000.4 WA assembly. I'm going to put in my scrap metal pile for next trip to the scrap yard. If anyone in the San Antonio area wants it, just contact me and it’s yours for free. Just come and get it.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts