Can't recieve any OTA channels > 34 RF!

jwcool

Original poster
Jan 12, 2005
Just had voom installed today. Guy was Reaaaallly slow. His phone rang every five minutes (he must not have voice mail). Anyway.
He left while the box was still downloading (about 5 PM). When it was done I realized only recieved 7 stations over the OTA. Basically CBS, UPN, PAX X 4 and PBS. I am 5-6 miles from almost all antennas and all are 340 + or - 1 degree. All of these channels are below or at 34 RF. is it possible he wired something funny so the antenna (Winegard sensar amplified model (can't find this # anywhere)) is not getting enough power? He has sent the UHF cable into a diplexor, together with a satellite feed. The output cable goes thru a power pass splitter and then these two outputs go into a multipass (together with another sat feed) and three outputs from here to each of three recievers. This looks very little like the diagram on the site I found. Voom is experiencing a higher than normal volume of calls right now so I don't know what they have to say. thanks for any knowledge
Jason
also I just noticed that there is zero power going to or from antenna on the system status page. Oops! looks like a to be continued from Installer!

Yep, sounds like a bad install. Unfortunately, I can't help with the wiring as we have only one STB and one projector as our VOOM system.

Still watching HDTV under snowless Seattle skies, Gill

Try doing a channel scan under the installer menu.. Not sure if you tried this or not, but perhaps the channel map from voom for you area is missing some channels.

If that don't fix it call and have them back out.. Perhaps the installer accidentally put the cable in the DC block port, who knows...

But I would think being that close it shouldn't matter.

did channel scan several times.

I tried this a few times, including once when all locals have digital content programmed, but I only get 32 -34 rf channels.

The intsaller says that I have a line of site problem in the city. This could be true as I am in the middle of a small hill. My question is though I can get cbs which has a braodcast power of 770 kW rf = 26, but not ABC which has b power of 500 kW adn is rf = 64. Furthermore, I easily recieve pax and upn which are bcasting at 250 and 107 kW at rf = 31 and 32 rexpectively, all four of above are about 5 miles from my house at same angle more or less according to antennaweb.org. There is no way for me to get an antenna above the roof line of the houses at the shallow crest, will this really kill me for local channels. I feel beaten!
any suggestions on whether this could really be true?
Jason
my email is jwcooleypa@comcast.net

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)