Cant rename files?

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
Maybe I'm rusty (turned on the azbox for the 1st time in probably 3 weeks) but last night I tried to rename a file I recorded and it wont let me

I **thought** it was select the file, menu then rename. I could have sworn in the past I could rename files.

How do you rename the file on the hard drive (not using any editor...remember the ethernet port is shot in mine)

I'll have to try that

I could have sworn on older software you could do it from the list (in the options like play and delete)

well this sucks...big time

So I go into that option and wallow through the folders and find them. 4 files on the hard drive
2 are basically the same name (they say the TP info and SID)...one of those "no name" channels

So I name the 1st one "Game 1" and the 2nd one I screw up and name "Game 1" also.
exit out and go into the main menu and neither are there
go back in to the file manager and now only 1 of those files (the legit game 1) is there...added .ts and it shows in the regular menu. So thats good

But the 2nd one (game 2 that I screwed up and named game 1) I can't find...is it lost for good?

well I'm done renaming them

well this sucks...big time

So I go into that option and wallow through the folders and find them. 4 files on the hard drive
2 are basically the same name (they say the TP info and SID)...one of those "no name" channels

So I name the 1st one "Game 1" and the 2nd one I screw up and name "Game 1" also.
exit out and go into the main menu and neither are there
go back in to the file manager and now only 1 of those files (the legit game 1) is there...added .ts and it shows in the regular menu. So thats good

But the 2nd one (game 2 that I screwed up and named game 1) I can't find...is it lost for good?

well I'm done renaming them

I believe it is lost for good (if your LAN worked, or it was a USB drive, a file recovery program might retrieve it). On the AZBox forum someone complained about the same thing and was suggesting that the AZBox should ask for confirmation if there is a file with the same name. Apparently, the same thing will happen if you move a file to another directory where there exists a file with the same name, one will be lost, and no confirmation asked.

Yup, nothing you can do about it. Renaming a file with as an existing file name erases the original file. The programmers could have created a simple check and verify, and prompt the user if the action of overwriting is intended.

ICE,

I have been able to rename my recorded files OK.

I press HOME, navigate through the options at the bottom of the screen to Option 7 (FILE MANAGER). Open that and look directly for RECORD FILE (if the recording was done on an internal HDD) or select USB1 or USB2 if using an external HDD and look for the RECORD FILE there. Open the RECORD FILE and locate the program that you want to rename. Click on the CHECK BUTTON (paperclip) to insert a checkmark in the box ahead of the file. Then press the MENU button and select RENAME. Rename it how you desire, but ensure that you do not remove the .ts extension at the end of the file name.

Unfortunately, as you found, if you rename a file with the same name that another file is using, one of the files evaporates!

This is a good point to bring up the merits of being able to communicate with the AZBox through your ethernet port. (I am sorry yours is hosed), but if it worked, you could NAME your recording file using MaZEdit right from the start (before the recording has even taken place).

If you have time and you want to, write me a PM regarding the issue with your ethernet port and all the specifics. Let me see if I can dig up some information and possibly help you repair it. I am game to take a shot at it if you are.

RADAR

I have my AZBox networked to my PC via SMB. The AZBox drive shows up as a mapped drive on my PC. The drive also can also be found in Network Neighborhood. I just use F2 to rename, or right click on the file and select rename.

If you Telnet into the AZBox you can use the Unix MV [old.file.name] [new.file.name] command to rename the file. You can also use the FTP rename command to change the file name.

Trying to rename files using the AZBox remote control is very cumbersome.

Radar
I bought the azbox from brent636 a while ago. The ethernet port is shot. Shows all 0 for IP address and none of the internet options work. Since its mainly slaved its no biggie

Normally I dont rename the files but for some stupid reason I wanted to. Normally if I want to keep the file forever basically I record it over to the DVD recorder.

But now I know....dont rename them :) I dont care if the file says "Freq 12000 SID 3" and then a string of numbers after it....I dont want to lose any more files.

Radar
I bought the azbox from brent636 a while ago. The ethernet port is shot. Shows all 0 for IP address and none of the internet options work. Since its mainly slaved its no biggie

Ice,

The IP address being all zeros is normal when you start up the AZBox for the very first time. If you select WIRED NETWORK and STATIC IP, you will be allowed to enter your own data.
WIRED NETWORK may be the only choice on your AZBox model (WiFi option will either be omitted or grayed out).

Using STATIC IP you need to assign the AZBox an IP addy yourself (under DHCP your router assigns this so it is all zeros and grayed out until the router defines it.)

Say for instance that your router's IP address is 192.168.1.1, and say your PC's IP address is already assigned as 192.168.1.100. Then you might assign your AZBox an IP of 192.168.1.110 (with the last set of digits being anything greater than .1 and less than .255) as long as no other device is using the same last set of digits. Some digits in the .250 through .256 area are reserved for other purposes, so you don't want to use them. I can't remember which, so I just stay in the .1XX range.

You then must enter the information for SUBNET MASK, DEFAULT GATEWAY and DNS1 (just leave DNS2 blank or defaulted as all zeros).

You can find all of these address strings by using the RUN option in your START menu of your PC. Click on RUN and type: cmd and press the return key. Then type: ipconfig /all this will bring up all the data you need to reference.

SUBNET MASK should be 255.255.255.0
GATEWAY should be same as DEFAULT GATEWAY or the DHCP SERVER (which will usually be your router's IP address)
DNS1 will be the same as the DNS SERVERS address
DNS2 ignore

Connect an ethernet cable between the AZBox and the router. Select WIRED NETWORK (if required) and STATIC IP and enter all the above addresses, then highlight SETUP and press OK.
After that, highlight START CHECK and press OK. If you get a FAILED message anytime during these processes, ensure that all your entries are correct and then do a HARD REBOOT (power all the way down and back up) and try the START CHECK again.

It's easiest to do this if you have a router or a modem with multiple ethernet ports. If it has only one port and that is already used by your PC, then buy an inexpensive ethernet switch to support at least two devices (at least one for your PC and one for your AZBox). They usually have at least four ports. Connect the switch input to your modem or router and the outputs to all your PC's and the AZBox.

Your PC might allow you to connect the AZBox direct to your PC, but that requires a more lengthy discussion than I am prepared for this early in the morning.

I think that your ethernet port might just be OK, at least I am hoping on it as it will open a whole new world of options for you and you will enjoy your AZBox much better. I hope that you give it a shot.

RADAR

its no biggie. Like I say right now I have 4 channels in my azbox
-the 3 feeds from the weekend
-doc Scott (don't ask) ;)

I mainly use it for 4:2:2, S2 and HD feeds

One of these days I will find time to figure out how to add a wireless USB ethernet adapter

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)