Can't see 1 chnl. at 1 tuner, but I can see it in another tuner at Dual tuner VIP 222

happy hopping

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
North America
In the past few weeks, on my VIP 222, which is a dual tuner box, I can see a certain channel in 1 of the tuner, but not the other. For e.g., say today, I am watch HD SciFi 122 at tuner 1.

Now, I also wanted to tape SciFi HD 122 at my 2nd tuner. But it says complete signal loss. Now, how can that be? I'm watching at Tuner 1. This is not the 1st time this happens, probably the 2nd or 3rd time

On unrelated matter, as of a few days ago, on my 2nd tuner, my 208 HD is squashed on top and bottom. I taped 208 HD using my SD / tuner 2, it shows SD normal. I taped that channel on my DVD Recorder for years, and I get the full screen.
As of a few days ago, the top and the bottom is squashed a bit, so there is a 2 inch black gap on top and at the bottom. But at my HD tuner 1 of 208, there is no black gap. Am I the only 1 on this?

I would suggest getting the box replaced. Individual tuner do go bad occasionally. I have tuner 2 go bad on my 722k a couple of years ago. Everything recorded on tuner 2 would be garbled and pixelated like when a strong thunderstorm interferes with reception, but everything on tuner 1 was fine.

does any1 knows what's the average lifespan on VIP222? Wait, did you say your 722 go bad? I thought 722 is a new model. For that matter, how long does a 722 last?

Last edited:
I would not get the box replaced over this. To me it sounds like a bad di/triplexer. Try switching the sat feeds around and run a checkswitch and see if the problem switches tuners. I would get a technician out before a replacement receiver because there is a good chance that a new receiver won't fix it. I would say tuner failure would be far more rare than an issue with other components in the installation.

that's what I am thinking, I was told that the new LNR, due to its complexity, can fail faster than a receiver. So how do you diangostics and see if it's the LNR that fail or it's the receiver that fail? The other thing is, this could be bad programming from those disk "programmer" on the latest firmware upgrade. I have the old VIP 222 (silver box), it has happened in the past that their programming has bugs that causes problems, then weeks later, the problem was fix, clearly due to a bug fix ver. of the firmware.

Also, how come there is no spec. sheet on any of those new receiver? Does dish really expect people to buy them without reading the spec.? There is not even a photo of the rear end of the box showing the connectors.

As far as pictures of specs, you can google image search and find pictures of all the receivers including back panel. I would be willing to bet that this issue has nothing to do with software or bugs, otherwise you would problably see a lot of other people with the same complaint. I'm still willing to bet its the di/triplexer or some other component between the SAT IN ports and the dish.

95% of the time 1 tuner fails on dual tuner boxes, it's the receiver
you can try checking connectors for corrosion, cable damage and bypassing diplexers
what does your signal strength look like? what does the checkswitch screen say?

95% of the time 1 tuner fails on dual tuner boxes, it's the receiver
you can try checking connectors for corrosion, cable damage and bypassing diplexers
what does your signal strength look like? what does the checkswitch screen say?

right now, both tuner shows nothing, I am at the screen that says "This should only takes 5 min." and stuck there for hours. What's a diplexer? Signal strength is 0, check switch say I have fewer satellite than before

what does all these mean?

right now, both tuner shows nothing, I am at the screen that says "This should only takes 5 min." and stuck there for hours. What's a diplexer? Signal strength is 0, check switch say I have fewer satellite than before

what does all these mean?

Looks like something from the dish to your receiver is causing signal loss. I would recommend having a tech come out and take a look. Send me a PM with your account information to set this up.

thank you. It's fixed now. Turns out you're right. AT tuner 2, part of the cable were extension cable, at the joint, there is rust at the silver connector, and the center pin is broken due to rust. However, that doesn't explain why tuner 1 is not working, as the connection there is normal. Best guess is, the unit requires both cables to work properly in order to acquiring the signal

thank you everyone

In the past few weeks, on my VIP 222, which is a dual tuner box, I can see a certain channel in 1 of the tuner, but not the other. For e.g., say today, I am watch HD SciFi 122 at tuner 1.

Now, I also wanted to tape SciFi HD 122 at my 2nd tuner. But it says complete signal loss. Now, how can that be? I'm watching at Tuner 1. This is not the 1st time this happens, probably the 2nd or 3rd time

On unrelated matter, as of a few days ago, on my 2nd tuner, my 208 HD is squashed on top and bottom. I taped 208 HD using my SD / tuner 2, it shows SD normal. I taped that channel on my DVD Recorder for years, and I get the full screen.
As of a few days ago, the top and the bottom is squashed a bit, so there is a 2 inch black gap on top and at the bottom. But at my HD tuner 1 of 208, there is no black gap. Am I the only 1 on this?

It could be as simple as the seperator, a corroded fitting or cable issue. Such as if staples were used the cable being penetrated and finally moisture seeping into the cable.

First thing I always check is the wallplate. Clear wallplate failure will usually kill tuner 2 first, then tuner 1. Second of course being damage/corrosion in the cabling.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts