Capabilities

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

herbsmith

Original poster
Nov 10, 2010
Chicago
We're looking into Direct TV. I have several questions but when i talk with customer service I get a different answer each time that I call. Located in the western suburbs of Chicago and have 1 HD and 3 STD sets. the HD and one of the STD are used heavily. The other two sets are used very lightly, so my questions really concern 1 - HD and 1 - STD. Can anyone help with the following?
1. Can I record on the STD set and watch the recording on the HD and vice-versa?
2. Can I pause live TV on both sets?
3. Can I record on one TV and watch a different show on the other?
4. Can I record two different shows at the same time?
5. What receivers are needed to do this?
6. What else do I need to know?

Thanks for your help.

I was hoping someone would have replied by now since I'd like to know also - I know these guys know their S* about D and the competitors.
I know one or two answers but they may be out of date. The HD set would have a reciever (HR20 is the model I have) that allows you to record 2 programs and play back a recored program at the same time. If you are recording one program, you can pause another program that you are watching and even toggle between them.

I know nothing about STD to HD interfacing, nor how you record on one reciever and play back on a different TV. But, seems to me that you need to get more HD sets!

Good luck, I hope someone answers soon.

I've had DTV for 12 years now and Have no plans to change.

We're looking into Direct TV. I have several questions but when i talk with customer service I get a different answer each time that I call. Located in the western suburbs of Chicago and have 1 HD and 3 STD sets. the HD and one of the STD are used heavily. The other two sets are used very lightly, so my questions really concern 1 - HD and 1 - STD. Can anyone help with the following?
1. Can I record on the STD set and watch the recording on the HD and vice-versa?

Thanks for your help.

1. This is a function of mrv, which requires all hd receivers and hd dvrs.
2. Hmmm, don't know!
3. Hmmm, don't know, but I think you can.
4. Yes
5. Any H/HR series receiver/dvr combination.
6. Hmmm, I have no idea!

Seriously, there are many threads about your questions.
Take some time and do a search if you haven't already.
I'm sure you can find the answers that I haven't tried to help with.
Oh, and :welcome to Satelliteguys!

Thanks for your help.

1. As Raoul said, you can do this on HD boxes, as long as you pay the extra $3 for Whole House DVR. You CAN use an HD box on an SDTV.
2. No. Only on the TV that has the DVR hooked to it.
3. Absolutely. The receivers are completely independent of each other. The DVR even has two tuners, so you can record one show while watching another, or record two shows while watching a third recording!
4. See #3.
5. The HR series of DVR, and H series of receiver.
6. What else do you want to know? :D Make sure when you place the order, you tell them you want the Cinema Connection Kit (connects the receivers to broadband for On Demand) - it'll save you a $50 call to install it later. They will give you one HD DVR, one HD receiver, and up to two standard receivers for free. If you want to have all HD receivers (would be needed to access the DVR from the other two TV's), they charge $99 for each additional, or $199 for each additional DVR. So if you want to give both of the heavy-use TV's the ability to pause live TV (and give you the ability to record up to 4 shows at once), you would need a second HD DVR (you would put your free HD receiver in one of the other rooms). And then if you want both of those other TV's to have access to the DVR recordings, you would need a second HD receiver as well.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts