CaptiveWorks CW-600S Premium vs. Viewsat/Coolsat?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Bob Wiley

Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
Lake Winnepesaukah
CaptiveWorks CW-600S Premium
http://www.gosatellite.net/captive_works_1637_ctg.htm

Based on this page at http://www.gosatellite.net/best_fta_receiver_1566_ctg.htm they say the following are models you "can't go wrong with".

1. CaptiveWorks CW-600S Premium (with CD-ROM) - $159.99
2. Viewsat VS2000 Extreme (with CD-ROM) - $179.99
3. CoolSat 5000 Platinum (with CD-ROM) - $179.99
4. Pansat 2700A (with CD-ROM) - $169.99

From what I could understand CaptiveWorks is the only available FTA that has built in DiSEQc, otherwise you have to buy it as an add-on or something.

I like simplicity, nice on screen interface, ease of use... CaptiveWorks sounds like it's the one for me, but I wanted some others opinions. The only other FTA's I have given thought about are the new Viewsat Extreme & Coolsat 6000P, but it sounds like in a review I read here that the Coolsat has some bugs.

Looking forward to any positive or negative feedback you can give me to help me make my purchase. :)

Last edited:
ALL receivers these days have DiSEqC 1.2 and most also have DiSEqC 1.3 (USALS) built in!

Oh ok... then back to my other question which brand is better, has the better on screen guide, visual, etc... CaptiveWorks CW-600S Premium, Viewsat Exreme (New Model) or Coolsat (New Model) ?

I use the Traxis DBS 3500 and the Fortec Lifetime Classic receivers with the DVB World USB receiver for HD and 4:2;2 broadcasts!

I am sure someone with the above receivers will give you some opinions soon!

WELCOME to the SatelliteGuys.US FTA forum!

:welcome

Bob Wiley said:
Oh ok... then back to my other question which brand is better, has the better on screen guide, visual, etc... CaptiveWorks CW-600S Premium, Viewsat Exreme (New Model) or Coolsat (New Model) ?

What do you mean on screen guide? None of the channels on this side of the globe (sans 3 or 4 maybe) have a EPG so that is a moot point.

If those were my options, it would be the Coolsat hands down

Captiveworks doesn't have blind scan (which is almost a necessity in free to air). They "claim" a blind scan but I've never got it to work on mine.
Viewsat doesn't play well with a motor

Any specific channels you were looking to get?

Based on the one website it said...

"This new PREMIUM edition adds: component video output, Dolby digital optical output, universal remote, 32mb of SDRAM for a 7 day EPG (electronic program guide) and a new faster Conexant Main Processor.

The CaptiveWorks brand is an extremely popular FTA receiver for few exclusive reasons. It is the only receiver on the market with a feature called Auto DiSEqC. This is an incredible feature for people who want a simple one step installation. Connect your satellite sources to the included DiSEqC switch and the receiver will automatically find the satellites it is connected to. It will then display the names of those satellites on screen and configure all the frequencies to be correct."
7 Day EPG?? Only receiver on the market with Auto DiSeqC??
Is this site outdated or what... ?

I guess if it has no blindscan, I might as well forget it. Another site said Viewsat was one of the top sellers... hmmmm.

Why would you need an EPG when VERY few channels in this country use it?

The EPG is worthless here. Very few FTA channels put out an EPG (a couple ethnic channels)

no the site probably isn't outdated but honestly any website can tell you lies about a product. Take it from someone who has worked with the Captiveworks. They claim "plug and play". Well, I've worked with 20+ FTA boxes and it sure the heck isn't plug and play...more like plug and cuss :)
It is NOT easy to set up. If you already have a dish that is set up and set to go, then maybe it is. But I tried with a motor and it was a pain in the butt.

They're going to say that to get you to buy it. Look through a few sites and they may have 5 boxes and they all "are the best on the market"

Members here who have the Viewsat have said there are issues with the motor. I have a Captiveworks and it is not very user friendly. The Coolsat 5000 is a nice box and works really well.

How about the new Coolsat 6000? If I am going to purchase I probably should get the latest unless the bug reports with it are too heavy and I should just stick witha 5000. I looked back in the forum for Traxis DBS 3500, and it sounds good too... I don't know what to do, I guess as long as it's easy to configure and has a decent interface and remote control I'd probably be happy.

My 4 favorite ones right now
Coolsat 5000
Traxis 3500
Fortc Classic
Neusat 6000

All are nice units and you can't go wrong with any of those :)

Just to add my two cents to the discussion...
I have a Captiveworks 600 premium. It took me about three weeks to get the DISH lined up, because I basically didn't know what I was doing. Once I got it dialed in, I haven't had any problems with this unit. Of course, I only have this one, and don't have any experience with others.
One comment about the blindscan, to give some agreement to Iceberg---I use the autoscan instead of the blindscan. When I do that, it works fine at picking up channels. I'll autoscan a couple of sats every couple of days, just to see if I can pick up something I missed. One of the things I do like about this unit is that it lists the channels you already have seperately from the new ones during the scan. That way you can tell easily if you've found something new.
This unit has USALS, and it seems pretty smart (I run it with a motor). On a couple of occasions, it will lock onto a sat and call it "found new sat", give it a number, and show the position as 0.00.

Hmmm... I was thinking, since Ice didn't have the Premium version, I wasn't sure if it had been improved or how much better it was than just CW600.

The specs for the upcoming Pansat 7000 HD looks nice for a Hi Def FTA receiver. Google is your friend.

I have a CaptiveWorks CW-600S Premium on its way (should be sometime this week) so either I've fallen victim to clever advertising or it will deliver on most of the points I bought it for (Premium has component video out and supposed working blind scan). I'll add my 2c once I get it all hooked up. Hopefully it won't take 3 weeks :) Now I'm scared :eek:

Actually my big worry isn't the receiver it's losing too much signal from scraping the treeline behind my house...

I've got a Coolsat 5000 and really, REALLY like it.

Granted I haven't used any other box but I can't see how they could improve upon what the Coolsat can do.

mrweather said:
I've got a Coolsat 5000 and really, REALLY like it.

Granted I haven't used any other box but I can't see how they could improve upon what the Coolsat can do.

They could fix the meter to be a little more accurate :)

Well, don't be afraid that you made the wrong decision about your Captiveworks. I like mine just fine, it's easy to use, has a couple of quirks (but what's perfect?). I bought it because I was a "newbie" and just wanted to watch some TV, doggonit!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts