SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 30, 2010
NJ
Is there such a card (or USB device) that:

-Works in Windows 7
-Supports BlindScan
-Moves the motor with USALS

I selected a Prof 7301 PCI that I might be selling soon, since I did not-so-much research and found that it can't blind scan (with my Windows setup, anyway).

Just seeing if anyone has been down this road before and had their 2 cents!

Thanks

dvbworld was first to market with a windows based blind search included in their newest generation cards. i have tested it with a pcie2006. it works well. i havent tested usals with it but i supsect it works with dvbworlds software. id also expect it not to work with mytheatre which is my software of choice. id still call all s2 cards immature. prof is working on blind search at present. if the prof can move your motor with the software you are using id suggest to hang on to it and wait it out. the prof tuners are the fastest ive ever used and im hoping it reflects in the blind search solution they come up with. is there a software / card combo your are interested in ?

crackt out,.

Actually one of my main issues is I have not even installed the prof yet. The card appears to be a slim card...but did not come with a half height bracket, which is my main problem. I'm searching in vain for a "generic half height bracket", if such a thing exists so I could rig it to fit nicely.

I've been slow to move on this since it appears Prof is working on a windows blind scan solution and it could be here soon, but at the same time don't mind shelling out some money for a more "mature" solution.

As far as software, I'm open to whatever, I've never used any of them before - currently using Windows Media Center for my local OTA channels, assuming this won't work well (or at all) with DVB cards.

I might just try the prof out with the case open to see if I should bother looking for a half height bracket.

Actually one of my main issues is I have not even installed the prof yet. The card appears to be a slim card...but did not come with a half height bracket, which is my main problem. I'm searching in vain for a "generic half height bracket", if such a thing exists so I could rig it to fit nicely.

I've been slow to move on this since it appears Prof is working on a windows blind scan solution and it could be here soon, but at the same time don't mind shelling out some money for a more "mature" solution.

As far as software, I'm open to whatever, I've never used any of them before - currently using Windows Media Center for my local OTA channels, assuming this won't work well (or at all) with DVB cards.

I might just try the prof out with the case open to see if I should bother looking for a half height bracket.

contact prof directly or ricks satellite for the bracket. im sure i saw somewhere that they are available. usals only works with certain software with the prof. id check there site for specifics.

crackt out,.

Thanks, have an email out to Prof. Rick isn't sure what a low profile/half height card is, let alone a bracket for one.

Ah yes that's the exact one I need....

If they can't provide that part to me, I'll just go the rigging route and have to do a little bit of cutting (I have a spare video card lo-pro bracket - I'll need to expand the hole a bit)

Windows has a terrible driver setup imo making it hard for software to support cards. I dont know why they cant just find a standard and go with it, linux has had a standard for years. v4l and v4lv2

diseqc commands are standard and all cards Ive ever used support them, its pretty simple hardware. drivers on the other hand ... havent. ie BDA, manufacturers have had to come out with private proprietary addons to BDA to make diseqc work, which is retarded.

Aparently PBDA supports diseqc and dvb-s2, but its *protected* which means DRM, its also another microsoft standard meaning its poorly documented unless you have thousands of dollars to talk with MS directly. as far as I understand it doesnt support blindscan though so thats going to be in the exact same boat all over again.

Windows has a terrible driver setup imo making it hard for software to support cards. I dont know why they cant just find a standard and go with it, linux has had a standard for years. v4l and v4lv2

diseqc commands are standard and all cards Ive ever used support them, its pretty simple hardware. drivers on the other hand ... havent. ie BDA, manufacturers have had to come out with private proprietary addons to BDA to make diseqc work, which is retarded.

Aparently PBDA supports diseqc and dvb-s2, but its *protected* which means DRM, its also another microsoft standard meaning its poorly documented unless you have thousands of dollars to talk with MS directly. as far as I understand it doesnt support blindscan though so thats going to be in the exact same boat all over again.

I'll let you know later on today or tomorrow - the card arrives today :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts