Caution when redeeming PPV certificates

mhowie

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2007
I recently redeemed a couple of PPV certificates one evening for my wife and she watched the movies the following day. On my next month's bill I had duplicate charges for the movies (vs. one credit). When I "e-chatted" and subsequently talked on the phone with the CSR dolts I was advised the certificates must be used on the day they are redeemed. That was the first I had heard of that stipulation and I still haven't found that technicality specified on the Dish site. So, what they were telling me was it was my fault and although I hadn't watched the movies twice, there was nothing they were going to do to make it right.

After spending a couple of hours in total, and finally speaking with another group within Dish, I was able to get the charges reversed. But I wanted to post this experience so others might not make this apparent mistake and get overcharged only to find an unwilling and unhelpful Dish CSR community when an attempt is made to introduce reason into the equation.

Are talking about Pay-per-Views (those movies are streamed live on most of the 500's channels, and you may only watch that event the same day your buy that movie. No new news and makes sense.) or are you referring to Video on Demand such as the movies on channel 1 or 501?

If a PPV, then, yes, it makes sense that you are to use it the day "redeemed" or you purchased the movie via your box or internet or phone. Although I don't know what you mean by "redeemed." Please explain.

Now, if it is about the VOD movies listed on channels 1 or 501, then I could see where waiting to view it makes sense as the "clock" for those movies (often 24 hour from first watching) doesn't start until the first time you watch the movie, even if one does not complete the viewing.

Perhaps a bit more info. is required.

I did read that in order to get credit for the PPV coupons listed on your on-line account, one is REQUIRED to order the movie through the on-line method on Dish's website NOT ordering from the box to get credit.

PPVs in the 500 level channels...

Redeemed as in entering a PPV certificate code in the appropriate spot when ordering via the Dish website (through your own portal using username/password).

So as not to misrepresent the ways to redeem these certificates, here are redemption instructions from the Dish "My PPV Certificates" portion of the portal:

"PPV movie with coupon can only be ordered via dish.com/ppv or through our Automated Voice System (1-877-347-4778). Cannot be ordered through receiver or customer service agent."

That is correct, when you redeem the coupon, the movie you choose is turned on for viewing so you need to watch or record it before the viewing period ends. Usually somewhere between 3 & 5 am.

That is correct, when you redeem the coupon, the movie you choose is turned on for viewing so you need to watch or record it before the viewing period ends.
That makes sense and once that time period has expired, when you try and watch that PPV event by tuning to the channel, it should walk you through the "order" process as if no certificate was used.

mhowie, did that happen ?

I've used multiple certificates online and when I tune to the channel, other than entering our PIN, it acts like a normal channel at that point since it already knows the event is paid for.

That makes sense and once that time period has expired, when you try and watch that PPV event by tuning to the channel, it should walk you through the "order" process as if no certificate was used.

mhowie, did that happen ?

I've used multiple certificates online and when I tune to the channel, other than entering our PIN, it acts like a normal channel at that point since it already knows the event is paid for.

I can't say for certain as my wife watched the movies. I simply entered the certificate number into the purchase page and advised her she could watch. Again, I was unaware of the short timeframe available to view once the PPV certificate info was plugged into the purchase page.

Actually, I was of the erroneous impression the movie could be watched up until the date the certificate expired- regardless of the date when it was "ordered". If there is clarity on the purchase page or anywhere else on the Dish website around the "viewing deadline rules" after ordering...they have hidden it well.

Actually, I was of the erroneous impression the movie could be watched up until the date the certificate expired- regardless of the date when it was "ordered". If there is clarity on the purchase page or anywhere else on the Dish website around the "viewing deadline rules" after ordering...they have hidden it well.
I can answer that part... sorta... When you order it, I'd strongly suggest recording it. Once recorded, you have until a date, sometimes MONTHS into the future, to START watching it. I know some we've done allow us to "save" them for 3 months. The key is START watching it. Once you start watching it, you only have (24) hours before it expires.

The "limited time" to view a purchased PPV is really dependent upon what part of the day your purchased that movie. The earlier in the day you purchased it, the more time you have. PPV's are available something like 5AM to 2AM or thereabouts.

However, the ON DEMAND movies only give you a bit more time: a full 24 HOURS once you star to view it for the very first time. Then it is timed out and no longer can be viewed, but ON Demand is more expensive than movies via PPV.

I think part of the problem isn't that Dish is obscuring anything, but that MOST people know how the PPV systems on cable and sat work after over a decade of ubiquitous existence and Dish may have felt that a large print warning how PPV works was unnecessary. I have to be honest and say that I am really quite surprised that anyone who has pay TV doesn't know the legacy model of how a PPV movie (not a boxiing match, etc. which is a PRE-purchase) works.

However, I don't think it is your fault as there will be people who still may not know, but it's a lot like coming across an adult who doesn't understand that hotels, as a rule, have 12 noon check out time (this is often NEVER explained in person and finding the info is in TINY itty bitty writing lost among the paperwork, etc. or that the Hotel is not going to give you a discount because you checked in at 10PM instead of the usual 3PM first opportunity for check-in or that a hotel bills you for all your telephone calls made on their phone in your room (phone charges have to be in small writing somewhere, but we just don't look for it. Hotel staff never tell you upon your request that they launder your clothes that there is a charge for it; or that when they ask for your room number it is only to confirm you are a guest but that it means it will be billed for the service; they believe you surely must know how it all works (OK, I am asking for your room number so I may charge this to your bill at check out. Do you understand and abide by this disclosure), and won't try to have the charge removed because you didn't know about it. How hotels "work" (just one example) and its practices my be lost on teen-agers with little life experience, but we expect more from a grown adult. Consider this a learning experience and now you are ahead of the game.

The "limited time" to view a purchased PPV is really dependent upon what part of the day your purchased that movie. The earlier in the day you purchased it, the more time you have. PPV's are available something like 5AM to 2AM or thereabouts.

However, the ON DEMAND movies only give you a bit more time: a full 24 HOURS once you star to view it for the very first time. Then it is timed out and no longer can be viewed, but ON Demand is more expensive than movies via PPV.

I think part of the problem isn't that Dish is obscuring anything, but that MOST people know how the PPV systems on cable and sat work after over a decade of ubiquitous existence and Dish may have felt that a large print warning how PPV works was unnecessary. I have to be honest and say that I am really quite surprised that anyone who has pay TV doesn't know the legacy model of how a PPV movie (not a boxiing match, etc. which is a PRE-purchase) works.

However, I don't think it is your fault as there will be people who still may not know, but it's a lot like coming across an adult who doesn't understand that hotels, as a rule, have 12 noon check out time (this is often NEVER explained in person and finding the info is in TINY itty bitty writing lost among the paperwork, etc. or that the Hotel is not going to give you a discount because you checked in at 10PM instead of the usual 3PM first opportunity for check-in or that a hotel bills you for all your telephone calls made on their phone in your room (phone charges have to be in small writing somewhere, but we just don't look for it. Hotel staff never tell you upon your request that they launder your clothes that there is a charge for it; or that when they ask for your room number it is only to confirm you are a guest but that it means it will be billed for the service; they believe you surely must know how it all works (OK, I am asking for your room number so I may charge this to your bill at check out. Do you understand and abide by this disclosure), and won't try to have the charge removed because you didn't know about it. How hotels "work" (just one example) and its practices my be lost on teen-agers with little life experience, but we expect more from a grown adult. Consider this a learning experience and now you are ahead of the game.

I've used the Dish PPV system for years directly via the program guide, I know how that works. What I haven't used is the online redemption of PPV certificates. There is nothing which states an redeemed certificate/ordered movie must be used immediately. In fact, the only information referencing an end date is the associated certificate expiration date. The ordering/viewing of a PPV directly via the program guide and the purchasing of a PPV via the website using a redemption code followed by a future action where the program guide becomes involved are two different processes.

If MOST comprehended the timeframe rules in viewing following the redemption of a PPV certificate then that is wonderful. I only shared my experience in an effort to assist the SOME who did not.

I'll trust you were attempting to be helpful in your responses- even though they didn't add much (there was a bit of partial information about ordering specifics and general regurgitation of what others had already stated), but I must say the final paragraph comes off quite condescending.

...There is nothing which states an redeemed certificate/ordered movie must be used immediately. In fact, the only information referencing an end date is the associated certificate expiration date...

Actually, on the web page where you redeem the certificate, all the movies have a column for what date you are activating. That's why the same movie is listed more than once on that page.

Cheers

Actually, on the web page where you redeem the certificate, all the movies have a column for what date you are activating. That's why the same movie is listed more than once on that page.

Cheers

I had noticed that in the past. I just hadn't put 2 and 2 together and realized through this PPV certificate redemption process the movie had to be watched on that very day (or recorded as Hall pointed out). Thanks for the reminder.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)