CBand has a new subscriber

Status
Please reply by conversation.

iammike

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 29, 2003
Roanoke,VA
Well, the 922 is installed and authorized. I like the picture quality (blows away E*), and was pleasantly surprised to find a few more channels than I was expecting. :D The install wasn't too bad, its pretty easy to program in satellite positions on the 922. Particularly after the first few are entered, and it starts giving estimated positions for new ones. One thing that I did find wrong with the instruction manual is that pointing to G0 (G10R for FTA) transponder 9 won't get the channel map. There's no digicipher channels on that transponder. If you point to a digicipher transponder it works fine though. It took an hour or two to figure out that the printed manual and Motorola's web site install guide were both wrong. :mad: Incidentally, there's current 4556 channles in the map.

Overall the 922 is vastly superior to my old Toshiba analog receiver, but I'm definitely going to have to get a PVR set up. The 922 is great for setting up cband, but its a little weak for basic TV watching. My E* 721 and 501 receivers blow away the 922 with their PVR capabilities, better guide, search capability, and are just a lot faster. I'm looking at a PC solution called GBPVR that I think will fill the gaps and then some. I'm going to keep the E* subscription active until I get it working.

Now that I'm up and running, I do have a couple more questions:

1) On G5, some of the channels have great picture like Sci-fi, but ESPN has an awful lot of sparklies. Does everyone have this problem? I guess ESPN could just be on a weak transponder.

2) I'm going through and turning on the TI filter for each channel individually, is there a way to turn it on for all channels at once?

3) Is there a way to make the guide show just the channels I'm subscribed to? (without having to make a huge favorites list)

No sparklies on any G5 chans. on my 920. You are right about the clunky old guide, it would not take as long to download if it only got the info you needed. I don't have my rec. set up to auto update so when I get the guide I tune into G1 and sit through the download. Unused or seldom used sats. could be deleted to cut down on the size of the download.

It may be your dish or feed is off, is there a tree or anything in the way of Galaxy-12 (G5)? what size bud are you using?

The best way to see only what you want on the guide is the fav list, to be honest it is fast and easy to setup.

The 922 is a pretty old box so for when it was made the features are not that bad, of course new pizza boxes will be more up to date, though with pizza you get crap picture and sound and no picture in hard rain, the bud is still number one even with the outdated 922.

Had the same problem, we will fix that.

Try bumping your dish left to right and adjusting your poliarities with the adjust skew. If that doesn't work try the below:

1) Pick a channel and press options
2) Select option 5-Adjust picture
3) Arrow down to TI filter, arrow left and turn it on, check mark will show in yes icon.
4) Do this to each channel that has the problem. Verticals were my worst ones, but I did it to all of them.

This should cure it. :yes

tdti1 said:
It may be your dish or feed is off, is there a tree or anything in the way of Galaxy-12 (G5)? what size bud are you using?

I'm using an 8 foot dish, it's the one in my avatar. There is a tree that's close to the los, but it's more in the site of the 121 and 123 birds. The odd thing is that some of the transponders have perfect pictures. Sci-fi for instance. ESPN isn't terrible by any means, still much sharper than pizza, but there's definitely sparklies.

Guys thanks for all the tips. Turns out the elevation was off a little. After many hours of trial and error, all it took was a few turns of a wrench. I actually had to turn off the TI filter on most channels, as the picture was better without it. When I fine tuned ESPN, I got up to an 80 signal strength on the 4dtv meter.

Now for the new problem: I can't get the KU channels on X4. I'm generally thinking I have a cabling issue somewhere, although I'm getting 100 on the signal meter. I've got a real strong signal on the G4 cband channels. I'm assuming that X4 is just the KU side of G4. I selected c and ku lnb's on the dish set up screen. Is there anything special I have to do to make the KU channels work?

I figure I'm going to be freezing my rear off again checking the cables, but thought I'd run it by the experts first.

For some reason X4 is not exactly on the same setting as G4. It took me awhile to get it when I first got mine. Go to like channel 833, that is a music service (blues) and bump your dish around in both directions until it pops on. It will take quite a few bumps because it is like a 14 to 20 click difference. It's up there, I just had it on, so keep trying.

To see if its a cable go to G4 then turn off the 4dtv, unhook the c/ku coax from the ird and go out side and do the same though use the c-band coax in place of the ku go inside and do the same, then go to x4-603 (dish should not move) or the channel Jim said and slowly bump east keep an eye on the DC light on the 4d and on the tv, if nothing happends after a few clicks go back to the number you started at and go west, if you still find nothing your dish may still be off the arc enough to effect ku, or the ku lnb is dead.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mount lnb on Feedhorn

Got my BUD.. now what to do..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)