CBand pole source

Status
Please reply by conversation.

iammike

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 29, 2003
Roanoke,VA
This is probably a really stupid question, but where is the best place to find a pipe for mounting a cband dish? I've checked around at Lowes and Home Depot and some local hardware stores, and nobody carries steel pipe much larger than 2 inches. I need something with a 3.5 inch outside diameter, and everything I read says I need schedule 40 steel. Am I looking for the right thing? If so, any suggestions for a source?

Thanks,
Mike

I can't speak from experience, but I would think you could find one at an Industrial Supply store somewhere in the Roanoke area. Maybe a local welder can help you out.

Al

Look under "steel" in your local phone book, or check with your local metal recycling place.

I found some under 'pipe' as well in the yellow pages.

If I was starting over (again!) I'd have done at least a 3" pole. I did the 2" schedule 40 and even filled with cement it is no where near as rigid as I was expecting :(.

Shawn95GT said:
I found some under 'pipe' as well in the yellow pages.

If I was starting over (again!) I'd have done at least a 3" pole. I did the 2" schedule 40 and even filled with cement it is no where near as rigid as I was expecting :(.
I used a 4" schedule 40 for my BUD, cement filled. Lucky for me i was able to find one in a horse field, where it was being used as a scratching post ;-)

drhydro said:
I used a 4" schedule 40 for my BUD, cement filled. Lucky for me i was able to find one in a horse field, where it was being used as a scratching post ;-)

The horses in my area all seem to have unlisted numbers. :)

All of these ideas got me searching in directions I hadn't thought of. I've got a potential source at a local scrap yard. The guy is checking to see what he has, but he thinks he probably has something I can use. I can't beat Doc's price, but $2.50 a foot didn't sound too bad.

iammike said:
I can't beat Doc's price, but $2.50 a foot didn't sound too bad.
Mike,
That is an excellant price, i was quoted close to 10.00 a foot up here in northern vermont.

I bought mine from a local plumbing store, just ask for sch 40 black pipe.

drhydro said:
Mike,
That is an excellant price, i was quoted close to 10.00 a foot up here in northern vermont.

I thought it was too, unfortunately when I called back they didn't have the right size.

sweeog said:
I went to a scrap metal resealler and got all the pipe I needed for $0.20 per pound.

That's the route I'm trying to go. Struck out with the first one, but I'm going to go to another after work tomorrow.

I called my local city's scrap metal recycler (not an auto junkyard). They pointed me to a pile of 3.5" pipe that was perfect.

NOTE: My brother who gave me the dish said to get 4inch..he was WRONG. Measure the inside diameter of your mount and make sure it isn't 3.5inch.

Btw, My 11foot chunk cost me 14 bucks.

Found me a pipe at the scrap yard this afternoon. Picked up a 10.5 ft length of schedule 80 pipe for $35. Unless I'm mistaken, this thing ought to be more than sufficient to hold up an 8ft. dish. One word of warning to anyone planning to do the same. That pipe is heavy. I just looked up a formula for calculating the weight and found it's right around 131 pounds. I managed to carry it through the yard and out to my van solo, but if I had it to do over again I'd probably try to find a friend to go with me and help lift.

Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions and advice!

tofer said:
SCH 80 is way heavier than SCH 40. Just about twice as thick . That was one big old chunk of pipe you were swinging around!

Tell me about it. :)

One advantage I see is I don't think I'll need to pour concrete down the inside of the pole. Unless I miss my guess, that heavy wall stuff should hold up quite nicely without it.

Mike,
Good to hear you found a pole. I would still put concrete in the pole, every bit of stiffeness helps ;-)

drhydro said:
Mike,
Good to hear you found a pole. I would still put concrete in the pole, every bit of stiffeness helps ;-)

It's in the ground and full of concrete, well almost. I didn't have quite enough on the last bag, so after I had the first several feet filed with concrete I alternated between rocks that came out of the hole and concrete. I also put a piece of rebar through the pipe about a foot from the bottom to give it a little more resistance to torque.

i4tas, hit the scrap yards. There's bound to be one with a pipe that will work for you. That's where I found mine. You can save a bundle vs. buying a new pipe.

Pole Source

iammike said:
This is probably a really stupid question, but where is the best place to find a pipe for mounting a cband dish? I've checked around at Lowes and Home Depot and some local hardware stores, and nobody carries steel pipe much larger than 2 inches. I need something with a 3.5 inch outside diameter, and everything I read says I need schedule 40 steel. Am I looking for the right thing? If so, any suggestions for a source?

Thanks,
Mike

perhaps the ones they throw out from a strip joint........or do they?......he..he...he

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts