CBC Newsworld and/or CTV Newsnet In U.S.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

nrholland

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 13, 2003
Tampa Bay Area
Does anyone have any idea why D* seems to have no desire to add CBC Newsworld or CTV Newsnet to its international programming? I'd pay $20 extra on my bill just to have these two channels on the 95 dish. What's the reason? Don't tell me to get Star Choice or Expressvu because I don't do grey-market.

:mad:

D* did have CBC Newsworld some time ago as part of its lineup. I believe that it was dropped in the past year or so - no idea why; maybe to make room for alternative "left-wing" programming (BBC, New York Times).

As a matter of fact, Newsworld and NHL Center Ice programming were the reason why I selected D* when I relocated from the 'Great White North'.

I would be interested in seeing CTV NewsNet.

nrholland said:
Does anyone have any idea why D* seems to have no desire to add CBC Newsworld or CTV Newsnet to its international programming? I'd pay $20 extra on my bill just to have these two channels on the 95 dish. What's the reason? Don't tell me to get Star Choice or Expressvu because I don't do grey-market.

:mad:

Newsworld was Newsworld International. It was originally owned by the CBC. It had some Newsworld programming on it, but it was news from around the world. CBC sold it off, and then two or three different owners had. Al Gore bought it and changed it to Current, which IMHO is a hugh waste of bandwidth. I hope the station dies shortly. I never watch it. What a waste.

If you want CBC Newsworld and CTV Newsnet down here like I do, then let's get a campaign going to have everyone who wants it send e-mail to Directv. Go to their site, click on the e-mail link at the bottom of the page, and tell them you want CBC Newsworld and CTV Newsnet on the international dish. Tell them you'd be willing to pay extra for the programming. Let's get it done!!!!!

Last edited:
nrholland said:
Newsworld was Newsworld International. It was originally owned by the CBC. It had some Newsworld programming on it, but it was news from around the world. CBC sold it off, and then two or three different owners had. Al Gore bought it and changed it to Current, which IMHO is a hugh waste of bandwidth. I hope the station dies shortly. I never watch it. What a waste.

If you want CBC Newsworld and CTV Newsnet down here like I do, then let's get a campaign going to have everyone who wants it send e-mail to Directv. Go to their site, click on the e-mail link at the bottom of the page, and tell them you want CBC Newsworld and CTV Newsnet on the international dish. Tell them you'd be willing to pay extra for the programming. Let's get it done!!!!!
nrholland,

I did not know the distinction between Newsworld "domestic" and International; nor the history of what happened since to it.

Thanks for the heads-up.

nrholland said:

oh, gore bought it.

so cbc stands for Crackpot Broadcasting Company??:D

I wish they added the CBC on D*. I like seeing other countries' perspective on things. I think Current is a waste of bandwidth, but I am sure the 20 something crowd must like to get their news in bits and bytes. And they are also subscribers.

I'm twenty-something and think Current is a joke! I really miss Newsworld International and MuchMusic.

CBC Newsworld won’t come to the US unless they make an Int’l version. CBC has been known to dump some repeats of CBC programs on CBC Newsworld recently (like most Canadian stations do)

CTV Newsnet is decent but is like CNN HN.

If you’re willing to pay 20 bucks for CBC Newsworld, hell get StarChoice. For 20 CAD you get CBC Newsworld, TSN, CBC and a set of US nets for one of 4 cities :D

I sure miss the CBC & CTV programing I used to get with my C-Band "BUD". Used to watch a lot of shows on CBC, until they scrambled, not sure if CTV is still available, but still was when I sold my system. I also used to watch TSN a lot, before they scrambled their signal. Now the only Canadian programing you can get is via the Center Ice Package. Love the CI package and "Saturday Night In Canada" hockey games.

It would be nice to have some type of CBC network for US satellite and cable.

NVBlue said:
BTW Much Music changed its name to Fuse and is still on D*. Newsworld Int'l doesn't exist anymore.

Fuse has nothing to do with MuchMusic. MuchMusic is still on in Canada, and has about 5 different channels there now. MuchMusic USA used to have most of the same programming as the Canadian version. Videos would often premiere earlier, and some videos that were never seen in the US would be played. The unedited videos were an eye-opener!

Last edited:
Iceberg said:
CBC Newsworld won’t come to the US unless they make an Int’l version. CBC has been known to dump some repeats of CBC programs on CBC Newsworld recently (like most Canadian stations do)

CTV Newsnet is decent but is like CNN HN.

If you’re willing to pay 20 bucks for CBC Newsworld, hell get StarChoice. For 20 CAD you get CBC Newsworld, TSN, CBC and a set of US nets for one of 4 cities :D

From what I have learned through work, a commercial provider MAY be able to carry both providing that CBC and CTV would give the ok for those feeds to be sold to a commercial provider in the U.S. Now, the question is, will a U.S. commercial provider ask and would CBC and CTV give approval for those feeds to be aired in the U.S? Who knows until someone does. I know for sure where adding a CBC affiliate either out of Toronto or Winnipeg. If this goes well enough here we may consider exploring other channels like CBC Newsworld or CTV News.

Once again I have to jump in here to say that the CBC and CTV as they appear in Canada cannot be distributed and sold nationally in the US by Dish or DirecTV. The CBC and CTV would have to make a copyright cleared US version or stop airing programs to which other cable, broadcast and syndications companies own the copyrights in the US.

No matter how many times Cable repeats the same lie, it is still a lie.

See ya
Tony

Again wrong my friend, are you a commercial provider? Do you deal with contracts and FCC rulings on a daily bases? I didn't think so. We are discussing news channels here. As for the copyright stuff goes, that's why there is SyndEX and all a local station in the U.S. has to do, is request SyndEX on the programming they have rights too, end of story. I'm stating facts and again people in other threads mentioned where they have viewed CBC in the U.S. but you're so tunnel visioned on me, you miss everything else. :rolleyes: Man get a grip.

CBC and CTV as they appear in Canada cannot be distributed and sold nationally in the US by Dish or DirecTV. The CBC and CTV would have to make a copyright cleared US version or stop airing programs to which other cable, broadcast and syndications companies own the copyrights in the US.

No matter how many times Cable repeats the same lie, it is still a lie.

SyndEX allows a local station to make a request to a provider to block out programming on an "out of market station" they have rights too !!! So YES they can !!! SOS different day!!! :rolleyes:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts