CBC on DirecTV

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
We'll have to agree to disagree. My hope is that we can get relevant, accurate, and balanced news and current event programs. As Iceberg has correctly noted, CBC in the US isn't in cards for now. They just launched two new specialty channels and given their other budgetary considerations, it would be difficult to justify a channel in another country.

Back to the original question. I would like to see it available in its authentic form on DTV. I'd also like to see authentic BBC and other British channels available.

Differing viewpoints, what a concept.

I would like to have access to programming from every English language broadcaster in the world. (I only say "English" because that is my only fluent language.) Probably the major problem problem with the USA for the past many years is its insular, xenophobic attitudes. We need to be seeing news and TV in general from as many sources as possible with as many outlooks as possible, not just those who agree with us and stroke our ego. To say that all CBC programming is "garbage" is nothing short of silly. I have been a CBC listener and viewer all my life and have found much of their programming top quality. "Anti-American"? No. Healthily critical of the US? Yes. "Elitist"? No. Intelligent? Yes.

The channel that would do that is aljazeera english!!! BUT D told me many times that they would NOT carry this channel, but they would not give a reason.. I belive that we should start calling and an E-mailing them asking to carry aljazeera English...

Well, if you don't want anti-American garbage then I guess you'll have to throw out the most of the major U.S. news networks and BBC America. I don't follow that argument. I'd like to see CBC, maybe CTV and Channels 7/9 Australia. I'd even pay an extra $10-$15/mo for an English speaking international tier. How about that proposal?

I see CBC as more likely as a local-into-local offering. For example, CBET is included by AC Neilson as in the Detroit DMA. All local cable systems carry CBC. Even the podunk cable system where I live 80 miles away carries CBC. Why can't Dish or Direct provide legitamate LiL service including all of the "local" channels. This seems to give cable the advantage unfairly in this regard. Canadian sat services have no such restrictions. Star Choice and Bell Express Vu both carry all 4 US Networks. The CBC affiliate should be provided to markets where it is a local channel. Buffalo and Detroit come to mind, but there could be others.

The channel that would do that is aljazeera english!!! BUT D told me many times that they would NOT carry this channel, but they would not give a reason.. I belive that we should start calling and an E-mailing them asking to carry aljazeera English...

Good luck on that. I'll drop D* in a heartbeat if they carry any stations named AlJazeera.

I see CBC as more likely as a local-into-local offering. For example, CBET is included by AC Neilson as in the Detroit DMA. All local cable systems carry CBC. Even the podunk cable system where I live 80 miles away carries CBC. Why can't Dish or Direct provide legitamate LiL service including all of the "local" channels.
different rules. Cable's "must carry" rule pretty much says if you can pick it up OTA you can add it. Satellite's rules say you have to carry all full powered stations in the market. Canadian and Mexican stations do not qualify for must carry. I know DIsh carries 2 Mexican stations for locals (the call sign starts with a X) only because they carry Fox Network (San Diego is one of them)

This seems to give cable the advantage unfairly in this regard. Canadian sat services have no such restrictions. Star Choice and Bell Express Vu both carry all 4 US Networks. The CBC affiliate should be provided to markets where it is a local channel. Buffalo and Detroit come to mind, but there could be others.

again different rules. But on that subject ExpressVu seriously shouldn't even have the nets. Why? simsubs...so they pretty much simsub all of prime time with CTV or Global. And the rule is you're only suppose to simsub when a local channel is nearby. EVu does blanket simsubs so if you live in Toronto, Vancouver or Ft France, ON you get simsubs on BOTH feeds. Starchoice only simsubs where they are legally able to.

different rules. Cable's "must carry" rule pretty much says if you can pick it up OTA you can add it. Satellite's rules say you have to carry all full powered stations in the market. Canadian and Mexican stations do not qualify for must carry. I know DIsh carries 2 Mexican stations for locals (the call sign starts with a X) only because they carry Fox Network (San Diego is one of them)

again different rules. But on that subject ExpressVu seriously shouldn't even have the nets. Why? simsubs...so they pretty much simsub all of prime time with CTV or Global. And the rule is you're only suppose to simsub when a local channel is nearby. EVu does blanket simsubs so if you live in Toronto, Vancouver or Ft France, ON you get simsubs on BOTH feeds. Starchoice only simsubs where they are legally able to.

Ok,
What is simsubs ?

I would love to have CBC, I'm 40 miles outside of Detroit, I would imagine I would not be eligable, but I use to love watching HNIC and Don Cherry and company :)

Jimbo

i wouldn't mind seeing candian hockey feeds on directv next season. other than that, i have no need for candian tv.

Ok,
What is simsubs ?

simultaneous substitution...we call it syndex here in the states
Simultaneous substitution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In Canada, the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission allows Canadian television broadcasters to require simultaneous substitution of their channel for U.S. channels when they choose to simulcast a show; consequently, they often do choose to do so. Although sometimes controversial, this practice is seen as as a way to protect the broadcast rights and commercial revenues of Canadian television broadcasters, by ensuring that the Canadian commercials are seen by nearly all viewers of the program.

For example, Global airs several popular American series such as The Simpsons. With simultaneous substitution, Global can ensure that advertisements purchased on their network are seen by nearly all Canadians watching the show at that particular time, rather than losing advertising revenue because some viewers were seeing the FOX affiliate's commercials instead.

This issue is at its most controversial during the Super Bowl, where the simsub rules usually block Canadian audiences from seeing the American commercials that they would actually want to view during the Super Bowl. The replacement ads are often the same ones seen on Canadian television at all other times of the year, although the amount of "original" creative content by Canadian advertisers during recent editions has increased significantly.[citation needed].

Simsubs can only occur when a local and a non-local station are airing identical programming. Using the Simpsons example above, Global can only simsub a FOX affiliate airing the same episode of The Simpsons in the same time slot (hence "simultaneous"). The network cannot simsub if FOX is airing a different episode, and it cannot simsub a FOX affiliate airing the show at a different time. Therefore Canadian viewers should not lose any content from other, non-simsubbed programs; however, this is only true if the cable, satellite, or MDS distributor performs the substitution accurately. If they mistake the start or end time, or even channel, of a broadcast or if the time is unexpectedly changed (for example, due to a long-running sportscast before it), viewers may lose out.

Simultaneous substitutions are performed by the cable, satellite or MDS distributor, from a list submitted by the station in advance. Simultaneous substitution applies only to those methods of distribution. U.S. terrestrial signals available in Canadian border markets cannot be simsubbed. Also, simsubs can only be applied by cable companies in areas where the local station is available terrestrially.

I would love to see CBC on DirecTV. I started my satellite hobby with a small KU band dish back in the late 1980's and I so much enjoyed CBC over everything else. Beachcombers has never made it to US TV and I so wish it would. That was an excellent program and I haven't seen it in year. It ran many years in canada, more than MASH ran here if I remember right.

CBC would be a great addition...

Good luck on that. I'll drop D* in a heartbeat if they carry any stations named AlJazeera.

Why?? Have you ever even seen any Al Jazeera English programming? What do you think might befall you if it were to be carried on Directv? :confused: If you don't like it, don't watch it....just like I do with all of their silly sports programming and pop music shows. Satellite TV should offer a wide diversity of programming for all interests.

Because I dont want my subscriber dollars funding a channel as blatantly anti-american as Al Jazeera. It is the "sister channel" of the same Al Jazeera that guides the terrorist agenda and shows beheadings of american solidiers. If you want a network with arabic news/slant, than find by me, but I won't in anyway embrace Al Jazeera and I suspect many people wouldnt.

My last post before I'm banned?

Because I dont want my subscriber dollars funding a channel as blatantly anti-american as Al Jazeera. It is the "sister channel" of the same Al Jazeera that guides the terrorist agenda and shows beheadings of american solidiers. If you want a network with arabic news/slant, than find by me, but I won't in anyway embrace Al Jazeera and I suspect many people wouldnt.

I could see why we would not carry PressTV. I saw on PressTV a month or so ago that America was responsible for both an earthquake and a major hurricaine all in the same day. The CIA was busy that day I can tell you.

So... how do you feel about the LOGO channel? I'm not too pleased with that programming choice by DirecTV. But I guess when you have the size gunn MTV has with all of their channels that DirecTV wants, then I can understand why LOGO was a "must carry."

I have watched Al Jazeera English as well as CCTV9, and any other news channels I can find on FTA. I hope my grand-dad is not spinning too hard from me watching "That commie crap."

I am a hard core, gun totin', single payer healtcare system wanting, chicken frying, southern baptist, who thinks you can't legislate morality.

I have wide spectrum political view points. I'm either a Republicrat or a Democlican according to which topic we're yelling, (I mean talking) about.

Al Jazeera is not that bad. From what I have seen they have a lot of documentaries on parts of the world that most americans don't even know exist. Al Jazeera also gives more time to the people that disagree with them than Fox News offers its detractors.

But anyway, I'll take an alternative channel which addresses issues for 50% of the world with newscasts showing burka clad women with a burning flag over programming for a (generous) 10% of Americans that shows guys with @ssless chaps and a flaming f@g hags anyday.

Oh I also liked CBC's Newscast International before Al Gore killed it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)