Original poster
As a former C band system user, and current Dish user, I have
been missing the CBC broadcasts for eight years. I thought that
eventually Dish would begin to provide the service in the States,
however each time that I inquire about this, I get a generic answer
that there is not enough request for this service, but they would
consider it. It seems to me that with all the interest in Canadian
services, that the interest is there, so why are they ignoring the
opportunity to add a service that would actually be watched?
Is this a legal/political issue or am I missing something else here?

I too would like this - but there are some issues with it actually happening. Many of their program do not have international broadcast rights. Also, many americans have no idea what CBC is or what is on it - unless they have lived in a 'border zone' and got it OTA or through Cable.

While I would love to have it, I wouldn't count on it. I've even considered a cheap B* subscription for it and a few other networks. One of the few advantages to cable in this area. Unfortunately, at my house that is not an option - no lines.

reply to masterdeals:

There may be something to what you said about border-
communities in relation to CBC availibility, I checked the Adelphia
Cable lineup for Buffalo, N.Y. and they have both cfto and cblt-
Toronto- affiliates of CBC and CTV. Now this should answer the
question of international broadcast rights for Canadian content of
the network. If you check the cable companies that serve your
area I assume that you will find the same situation there. It just
reinforces the notion I have that Dish doesn't care to offer the
Canadian services in the States.

I had C-BAND too since 1984 and enjoyed CBC as well as all the others that are long gone. I hate motorola for dropping support for 4dTV.

It's not Motorola's fault that CBC switched from analog to 8psk digital. But it is their fault for all the services that are no longer available because they switched to DC2 megapipe which is not compatible with 4dtv. If Motorola wanted to support 4dtv, they should make a new consumer receiver which is compatible with megapipe signals. Unfortunately, C band viewers continue to decline, so it is unlikely any new receiver will be made.

The laws governing cable's retransmission of canadian stations when the channels are considered "local" or SV (receivable via OTA antenna at the cable's head end) and the laws govening international content on satellite systems SELLING service in the United States are not even a little bit the same. They are completly different and do not in any way look alike.

Unless the CBC offers a channel for US consumption (which they don't) there is no way on earth that Dish can legally sell that network in the states.

See ya
Tony

You can (sort of<G>) subscribe to the Canadian services. I am in the U.S. and have subscribed to BEV for 4+ years.
They have more HD than D*!

...mike

I agree that the "Canadian Solution" of BEV or SC is probably the best way to get the CBC on TV in the USA.

You can get the CBC on radio in the USA however - through Sirius. CBC Radio 1 and Radio 3 are offered on Sirius, as well as Radio-Canada's Premiére Plus and Bandeapart. Unfortunately, however, "Sirius Music" on DISH doesn't include any of the Canadian channels.
http://www.cbc.ca/sirius/
http://www.radio-canada.ca/sirius/
(Note that only two of the four Francophone Sirius channels are available in the USA. The other two, Infoplus and Energie2, are currently available only through Sirius Canada. Presumably, they will eventually be added to the US lineup.)

Last edited:
Maybe they can bring CityTv down here. I saw this basic cable channel while on a business trip to Vancouver. American Wedding uncut at 8PM, and late night they roll out the Cinemax-style programming. :shocked And to think that right across the border we go ape**** over a 1/2 second "wardrobe malfunction".

that's because, according to a colleague of mine "we must protect our children from the evil boobs"!! :rolleyes:

jrbdmb said:
Maybe they can bring CityTv down here. I saw this basic cable channel while on a business trip to Vancouver. American Wedding uncut at 8PM, and late night they roll out the Cinemax-style programming. :shocked And to think that right across the border we go ape**** over a 1/2 second "wardrobe malfunction".

jrbdmb said:

CityTv rocks :)

"Ed's Night Party" is the main reason I watch City

Yep. Some border cities carry it. Here in MN a lot of the border cities (Int’l Falls, Hibbing, Virginia, Ely, Grand Marais, etc) have CBC. Some have CTV & Global too.

There’s a town in MN (Alexandria…about 2 ½ hours NW of Minneapolis) and they have an OTA UHF “cable” (a bunch of UHF channels with unscrambled programming on them) and one of them is CBC.

TNGTony said:
Unless the CBC offers a channel for US consumption (which they don't) there is no way on earth that Dish can legally sell that network in the states.

See ya
Tony

sorry, but Cancom Broadcasting can sell CTV, CBC, City TV, Global, Sun TV, A Channel, CH, Miracle Network, Canal Savoir, Omni 1 & 2, ASN, ATV, RFO, TVA, TQS, SRC, Telequebec, Knowledge Network, VOCM, Crossroads, Canadian Radio stations and WSBK to a "commercial provider". Which I work for a commercial provider and can offer these channels. I talk with my sells rep. from time to time and is always asking if I want a contract for some of this. CBC and City TV, I have been looking into after my upgrade and I plan to do one or both channels. It is legal. Cancom is allowed to sell SRDU channels to the U.S. but only through a commercial provider but not through the Starchoice platform for personal use. This is the link to the SRDU channels: http://cancombroadcast.com/affiliates/grids/signal_list_e.aspx?signal=SRDU

Last edited:
something else, we offer channels for other ethnic backgrounds but the French is under served here in the U.S., Canal Savoir, RFO, TVA, TQS, SRC, & Telequebec are French channels which can be used here in the U.S..

We get CBC via cable right now. The cable companies carry it around here because everyone has gotten it OTA for 30 years.

Once CBC Windsor goes HD I'll be able to get it again after the switch to Dish. It would be nice for Dish to carry it but honestly unless you live along the border most people have no idea what they are missing.

I missed it with my years of D* and E*. I live too far out to catch the analog signal but the HD should do fine.

We love 'This Hour has 22 Minutes' and of course Hockey Night in Canada.

I wont argue the point except to reiterrate that it is illegal for Dish to sell CBC and CITY without their consent and due to SyndEx rules, the "raw canadian feed" cannot be used in the US. That is all there is to it. So, unless the CBC and CITY make a channel for American Consumption, Dish nor DirecTV can ever carry it in the US.

I will also repeat for those that do not read the entire thread before they post their wisdom that the laws for cable systems that can receive these channels over the air and satellite systems are not even a little bit the same.

See ya
Tony

Commercial providers (Dish, Cable TV, DirecTV, NPS, etc.) can uplink the satellite feeds on F1R ku & F2 ku and offer them nationally or regionally. It's up to the providers to sign the contracts and offer such. There is nothing that prohibits such.

Last edited:
Yes, there is! CBC and CITY have content that is covered under SyndEX. Dish (or DirecTV) cannot legally carry the "raw" CBC or CITY feeds or ANY canadian channel that has SyndEx programming. It is not just as simple as plucking a signal off the air and ploping it on the system.

See ya
Tony

jrbdmb said:

City TV is in Spain and South America also, links:
http://www.citytvweb.com/
http://www.citytv.com.co/
City TV is a SDRU channel and can be sold to a U.S. commercial provider for viewing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)