CBC on Dish?

TNGTony said:
Yes, there is! CBC and CITY have content that is covered under SyndEX. Dish (or DirecTV) cannot legally carry the "raw" CBC or CITY feeds or ANY canadian channel that has SyndEx programming. It is not just as simple as plucking a signal off the air and ploping it on the system.

See ya
Tony

"raw" maybe not, but they can carry and offer the affiliates. I will be at the end of my upgrade and I am in Alabama!!!

That is IRRELEVANT to this conversation since we are talking about US distribution laws and regulations. It could be available everywhere on the planet! The fact still remains that they carry SyndEx programming that cannot be sold in the US through CITY unless they cleared the rights first. IOW, make an American feed! Which is what I said in the first place.

See ya
Tony

I'm done with this thread since it seems to be a religion. There is no convincing the "true believers" that CBC nor ANY foreign channel can be plucked off a satellite and redistributed by Dish or DirecTV without the proper clearances.

See ya
Tony

I really miss Canadian TV too!
Didn't I see that on the Canadian satellites they get US locals.
I did write to Dish many times about offering CBC (even as a premium pack) and they came up with all this cross-border stuff back then. Yet, the Canadian satellites carry US locals for them!

I hope that Dish will carry CBC and/or City TV someday. I wish they had CTV as well. I also wish they had British TV, BBC1 2 3 4 ITV and such. Also Aust. TV - - -

how do some of the people on this site who live in the US have the Canadian sats? What do you do to get it? I was looking at Starchoice and their HD box is the same as the VOOM box...could the VOOM box work with Star Choice?

Last edited:
FreddyvsJasonvsAsh said:
maybe the only way for Dish to carry CTV or anything else is to add it to the international pack

CTV carries most of the same programs that we get here in the US so Dish would have to black them out.

Global & CTV mostly show programs here in the US (Global has been sarcastically labelled "Fox of Canada")

City & A-Channel show stuff from WB & UPN

As to why Canada gets US nets, its so they can view the programs too. But there is a catch...simsubs. As an example, if you watch CSI on Thursdays on CBS, you get the CTV feed (since CTV owns the rights to the show in Canada) with their commercials

TNGTony said:
I'm done with this thread since it seems to be a religion. There is no convincing the "true believers" that CBC nor ANY foreign channel can be plucked off a satellite and redistributed by Dish or DirecTV without the proper clearances.

See ya
Tony

Tony,
I think its better to say yes it can be carried, but they would have to black out any stuff that is on American TV already... due to syndex.

--Matt

Last edited:
FreddyvsJasonvsAsh said:
how do some of the people on this site who live in the US have the Canadian sats? What do you do to get it?
read in the Canadian satellite section :)

I was looking at Starchoice and their HD box is the same as the VOOM box...could the VOOM box work with Star Choice?
NO! They are not interchangable

ExpressVu uses Dish equipment but they're not compatible
SC uses Motorola equipment but you need their special box

danielsurfs said:
I really miss Canadian TV too!
Didn't I see that on the Canadian satellites they get US locals.
I did write to Dish many times about offering CBC (even as a premium pack) and they came up with all this cross-border stuff back then. Yet, the Canadian satellites carry US locals for them!

Dish can offer them if they want too. All they have to do is contact Cancom of there intentions and sign the agreements and set up to put it on. There is no border crap about it when it comes to the SRDU list Cancom has. On the SRDU list, Cancom owns those signals and can distribute them out of Canada. As for the rest of the signal list, Cancom doesn't own the actual signal and cannot distribute them outside of Canada without permission, but they have a verbal agreement with the now former government, not to sale them outside of Canada to "Protect there Heritage", which the liberals always used as an argument.
SRDU means: Signal Relay Distribution Undertaking

TNGTony said:
I wont argue the point except to reiterrate that it is illegal for Dish to sell CBC and CITY without their consent and due to SyndEx rules, the "raw canadian feed" cannot be used in the US. That is all there is to it. So, unless the CBC and CITY make a channel for American Consumption, Dish nor DirecTV can ever carry it in the US.

See ya
Tony

Fine. But why can't we have CTV Newsnet and CBC Newsworld made available here in the states?

nrholland said:
Fine. But why can't we have CTV Newsnet and CBC Newsworld made available here in the states?

When I talked with my sells rep at Cancom, this is the question I asked:

CTV Newsnet and CBC Newsworld are not on the SRDU, but are they available to commercial providers in the U.S. ? thanks

her reply:

These services are on the Transport list. You would have to contact the programmer to obtain consent to carry.

Thanks

In other words, there is a chance, providing the programmers would agree to sell there feed to Dish. I guess anything is possible if they would set there mind to it.

I will try one more time and REALLY leave the thread:

Dish nor DirecTV can carry the CBC or CTV in the US in the same form as it is presented in Canada EVER. The reasons are very simple: much of the programming on these services is owned by other US channels like Discovery Networks, PBS, NBC, CBS and other outlets. If Dish picked up CBC or CTY, every time there would be a program that another channel in the US owns the rights to, Dish would have to black out the CBC or CTV.

Now, as I stated before, even in the quoted text followed by a "yes, but why" question (essentally proving that the quoted text was not understood), IF the CBC or CTV made a channel for US consumption, a channel in which all programs have copyright clearance in the US, a channel where no other network owns the programming in the US, then there wouldn't be a problem.

No such channels exist. This is why the CBC and CTV are not available for national distribution in the US.

See ya
Tony <---Now I am really done here

TNGTony said:
I will try one more time and REALLY leave the thread:

Dish nor DirecTV can carry the CBC or CTV in the US in the same form as it is presented in Canada EVER. The reasons are very simple: much of the programming on these services is owned by other US channels like Discovery Networks, PBS, NBC, CBS and other outlets. If Dish picked up CBC or CTY, every time there would be a program that another channel in the US owns the rights to, Dish would have to black out the CBC or CTV.

Now, as I stated before, even in the quoted text followed by a "yes, but why" question (essentally proving that the quoted text was not understood), IF the CBC or CTV made a channel for US consumption, a channel in which all programs have copyright clearance in the US, a channel where no other network owns the programming in the US, then there wouldn't be a problem.

No such channels exist. This is why the CBC and CTV are not available for national distribution in the US.

See ya
Tony <---Now I am really done here

BE FOR REAL !!! Yes, CTV and CBC CAN BE offered in the U.S. as is, just pick and choose the city and time zone. They are offered NOW in the U.S. and have been for a while through Cancom, Gulfcom or OTA. WWOR, WGN, WTBS and WPIX (not to mention the major four from 5 different DMA's in all) A&E, BET, CNN, The Golf Channel, CNBC, Fox News, MSNBC, Bloomberg, and TCM ARE NOT made for Canadian consumption but none the less they are offered in Canada. Should these stations be prosecuted? or relieved of there syndicated programming? No, and it will not happen on either side. I guess you need to march up to these people and tell them they can't broadcast U.S. signals up to Canada for there viewing pleasure. :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts