Status
Please reply by conversation.

GrumpyGuy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 17, 2006
Northeast Ohio
Anik F1R C band (107.3°) 3970 H, SR 2620

As of yesterday afternoon, PowerVu encryption has been applied to the following CBC Radio feeds:

1TCEN/1TATL
SIRIUS RADIO 3
SIRIUS RADIO ONE

Bummer.

> I've wondered why CBC encrypts to begin with. My taxes pay for it. Instead I get it analog OTA with plenty of static.

If your Canadian, send them an email and flat out ask them why.

I normally listen to CBC on .990 AM, and would love to get it on satellite.

That explains it... I tried for the first time ever to tune in the CBC radio feeds on the weekend and only found the $crambled signals. I was thinking that maybe I had the wrong polarity or was scanning the wrong satellite.

I am fortunate to live in an area where I receive both CBC Radio 1 and CBC Radio 2 completely static free. I wanted it on the weekend to tune into a Central timezone feed..

It defies logic to scramble CBC. It is tax-payer supported, and I think that there should be MORE in-the-clear CBC broadcasts on satellite.

This mux includes a feed from CBC to Sirius, complete with station I.D.s by CBC on-air personalities, indicating "You are listening to Sirius channel 137."

Speculation: Sirius' is paying the CBC to provide this "ready to air" programming. Sirius' business model is, in part, based on customers paying Sirius to grant them the privilege of listening to this programming. The unencrypted feed made it possible for potential Sirius customers to legally enjoy this programming without paying Sirius. Sirius saw this as a loss of potential revenue, and moved to plug the leak, no matter how small that leak may have been.

This mux includes a feed from CBC to Sirius, complete with station I.D.s by CBC on-air personalities, indicating "You are listening to Sirius channel 137."

Speculation: Sirius' is paying the CBC to provide this "ready to air" programming. Sirius' business model is, in part, based on customers paying Sirius to grant them the privilege of listening to this programming. The unencrypted feed made it possible for potential Sirius customers to legally enjoy this programming without paying Sirius. Sirius saw this as a loss of potential revenue, and moved to plug the leak, no matter how small that leak may have been.

I hate corporate greedsters. They worship money and would sell their own mothers as long as they could make a penny profit.

At least where I'm going (Australia) I'll get free health care. The corporate greedsters haven't gotten their greedy, sticky fingers into that. Yet. :mad:

It defies logic to scramble CBC. It is tax-payer supported, and I think that there should be MORE in-the-clear CBC broadcasts on satellite.

I think alot of it has to do with the programming. Hockey being the big one but recently CBC has been buying some US programming like Wheel & Jeopardy (I guess they can claim Jeopardy is Canadian since Alex Trebek is Canadian) ;)

I wish the CBC was free....just one feed is all we need :)

so just scramble the Sirius feed. That feed isnt that good anyways. They dont have lots of what the "real" CBC radio has and replaces it with lots of repeats.

And honestly...how many people would fall into this category (listening to it on satellite versus the radio?)

I think alot of it has to do with the programming. Hockey being the big one but recently CBC has been buying some US programming like Wheel & Jeopardy (I guess they can claim Jeopardy is Canadian since Alex Trebek is Canadian) ;)

I wish the CBC was free....just one feed is all we need :)

Partly correct. The CBC was buying US programming back in the 80's. A number of Canucks were complaining of loss of Canadian identity. I remember that 'Murder She Wrote' showed on CBC several days before it did in the States. When 'Beachcombers' ended its run, some of the reporters said it ended because it was 'too Canadian'. Hey, that's why I watched it. Same with 'North of 40', and 'Seeing Things'. I wish they had replaced the US stuff with Canadian shows and left the feed in the clear. That would have made a good advertisement for tourists.

I miss the days when you could point your dish at one of the Anik birds and get CBC programming for free....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)