CBC shutting down all tranlsator stations at end of month

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
I knew the CBC wasnt real keen on upgrading the translator stations to digital. Instead they decided to revoke the licenses on them effective August 1st

from northpine.com

In a major change to the Canadian TV landscape, the government-owned CBC/Radio-Canada network plans to turn off almost all of its TV transmitters at the end of the month. The CRTC recently approved the plan to shut down 620 rebroadcasting transmitters, which serve small cities and rural areas. None were converted to digital and the CBC estimates only about two percent of Canadians are still watching the transmitters being shut off.

Only a few dozen network-owned TV transmitters will remain on the air, including CBWFT-DT/3.1 (Winnipeg) and CBWT-DT/6.1 (Winnipeg), plus a few private affiliates such as CKPR-DT/2.1 (Thunder Bay). The CBC said the shutdown was needed because of the network's financial problems and justified by the very high percentage of Canadians who already have cable or satellite. The move is expected to save about $10 million per year.

The shutdown means more than two dozen small Manitoba towns, including Churchill, will lose their only broadcast TV service. Only about 20 TV transmitters will remain on the air in the province. Northwestern Ontario will still have about 127 TV transmitters, 115 of them carrying the non-commercial TV Ontario network. About eight communities not served by TVO will lose their only broadcast service, including Atikokan, Dryden, and Marathon. Fort Frances viewers will only be able to receive U.S. signals.

The list is here
http://cbc.radio-canada.ca/_files/c...alogue-transmitters-emetteurs-analogiques.pdf

and the CRTC decision
Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2012-384

Guess the CBC thinks nobody watches TV OTA anymore

This is sad. A lot of people are going to lose CBC and CBC is supposed to be Canada's national broadcaster.It's time for them to uplink their signal to Galaxy 19 Ku. In the long run this route is better for everyone.

in most rural areas folks have cable or satellite so I can see why a translator in Cow Head, Newfoundland and Labrador would go dark
The main cities still will have service via the digital station.

Right now there are cbc feeds on AnikF1 C-Band. I dont ever see them going KU. If they are cutting stations now why pay money for satellite carriage on KU?
(although it would be nice)

I am thinking Ku is somewhat more accesible to the average joe as the dish is so much smaller and cheaper. Ku must be the most cost effective way to get a signal to everyone in a large area like a country.

Shaw and Bell are supposed to be offering free SD local channels without a sub, installed professionally etc. I think they cut it off after a few months though, and they will install only within the existing DTV transmitter coverage areas.

What's the point of getting it free it they cut it off after a few months? I wish CBC would act more like a national broadcaster by cutting out the middle man.

I recall an interesting article in the National Post a few years ago as it blamed CBC's financial woes on The Toronto Maple Leafs. According to the NP, the majority of CBC viewers are in the GTA/ southern Ontario area, and w/ the Leafs constantly missing out on the playoffs, it affected CBC's bottom line due to loss of playoff advertisements. I recall this because 2 days later, CBC cancelled the show Intelligence (CSIS/CIA based) which was really good so it gave me another reason to hate the Maple Leafs.

Cheers, K

TVO (TV Ontario) doing the same but it will be a longer process

Last week's story about the CBC shutting down almost all of its transmitters missed the fact that TV Ontario is doing much the same. The provincial non-commercial network plans to shut down 114 analog stations it never converted to digital by October 2013. Mid-power transmitters, including those in Kenora and Sault Ste. Marie, will be turned off at the end of July. TVO says the transmitters being silenced serve only about one percent of Ontario households. The network will have nine remaining digital transmitters, including one in Thunder Bay.

The most cost effective way for CBC or TVO or any public broadcaster to serve the whole population (assuming that is their mandate) is to go to FTA Ku.

I am just shocked by this. First Radio Canada International spends all of this money in 2006 to convert to DRM (Digital modulation with near FM quality) on the shortwave transmitter then in 2012 they decide they are done and shut down the entire shortwave service, and now I learn the CBC is dumping OTA television. The world has gone mad.

If Canada can no longer afford to pay its bills to be in the broadcasting business, then perhaps they should step out of of the way and like private industry do it, but as we know that would be to logical.

It sure seems like a global depression is underway.

Last edited:
the only stations that are being "dumped" are mainly low powered translators in small towns. If you look they're usually like 10-15 watts power so just the town.

It was either dump them or spend a bunch of money to go digital

I am just shocked by this. First Radio Canada International spends all of this money in 2006 to convert to DRM (Digital modulation with near FM quality) on the shortwave transmitter then in 2012 they decide they are done and shut down the entire shortwave service, and now I learn the CBC is dumping OTA television. The world has gone mad.

If Canada can no longer afford to pay its bills to be in the broadcasting business, then perhaps they should step out of of the way and like private industry do it, but as we know that would be to logical.

It sure seems like a global depression is underway.

Sounds like you work for CTV and/or Bell Media. They would love the CBC to go belly up and then take over the Hockey Night In Canada slots.

the only stations that are being "dumped" are mainly low powered translators in small towns. If you look they're usually like 10-15 watts power so just the town.

It was either dump them or spend a bunch of money to go digital

It's hard to blame CBC or TVO for shutting down all these low-powered transmitters rather than spending money to upgrade them but I would like to see them get on Galaxy 19 Ku because that's the best way for a public broadcaster to reach the whole population especially in a sparsely populated country like Canada.

The difference between CBC/TVO translators and translators in the states is the CBC/TVO ones are owned by the company whereas most translators in the states are owned by communities and not the station themselves. This allowed the community to get grants from the government (I'm not going political...its just a fact) to upgrade to digital.
What bothers me is some of these translator markets have a better option of channels than we do in Minneapolis. As example in Alexandria (about 150 miles from Minneapolis) they have a viewer supported Selective TV. When they were analog they had the Minneapolis stations but also had some cable channels like Discovery, History, Great Am Country, MSNBC, C-Span and Outdoor channel all unscrambled. They even had CBC North!

Now that they are digital they carry all the Minneapolis stations and subchannels (but PBS) and 2 closer PBS stations and the following "other" channels not available OTA in Minneapolis
RURAL TV
RFD TV
FAMILY NET
WEATHER CHANNEL
C-SPAN
MSNBC
BIZ TV
TUFF TV
PENTAGON CHANNEL
CBC :eek:

Hell I'd donate the $7 suggested donation per month to get that + all the Minneapolis stations

sure there are 5 low powered stations in Mpls too but it houses nothing but religious stuff (almost all I can get via 97W)

sorry to get off topic a smidge ;)

It's hard to blame CBC or TVO for shutting down all these low-powered transmitters rather than spending money to upgrade them but I would like to see them get on Galaxy 19 Ku because that's the best way for a public broadcaster to reach the whole population especially in a sparsely populated country like Canada.

while that would be nice I just dont see that happening. I wonder how many of these folks in the rural areas have C-Band dishes?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)