Cbs 2 OTA Chicago

cpdretired

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 6, 2003
Lemont, Il.
Yesterday I lost OTA guide information for Chicago channel 2. All I see is CBS2-H. I did rescan but it is still the same. Anyone else in the Chicago area have the same issue.

Same thing for Orlando channel 9 OTA. It just shows "no information available" in the guide. WFTV ABC has been in a dispute for a very long time. Have they stopped providing guide data for locals in dispute?

Reactions: charlesrshell
VHF channel 12 is becoming the ATSC 3.0 lighthouse channel for the Chicago DMA, scheduled to start on Monday, February 5th. Because of this, CBS2-Chicago (WBBM) and all of its subchannels are vacating that frequency.

2.1 CBS2-HD is now on WGN's UHF channel 19
2.2 StartTV is now on WGBO's UHF channel 35
2.3 DABL is now on WFLD's UHF channel 24
2.4 FaveTV is now on WMAQ's UHF channel 33
2.5 Charge is now on WGBO's UHF channel 35

Rescanning should pick them up on these various channels and remap them in the guide as 2.1, 2.2, etc. Unfortunately as others have discovered during the ATSC 1.0 repack, Dish's guide mapping does not handle having multiple x.1 channels on the same frequency. Now that this will involve one of the "Big 4", they may (or may not) fix it in this particular situation.

Yeah, the Dish receiver when you tune to RF19 does pick up CBS 2. It has been 24 hours since I last rescanned, and both CBS and WGN have the proper EPG. I am shocked because here in Chicago we have so many shared channels and the EPG is not correct for half of the .1 channels. I don't know what Dish did with WGN and CBS to separate them, but I wish they did it for the other channels as well.

From what have been able to gather from various Dish responses when people ask about these OTA guide problems, it isn't that Dish can't fix them, it is just that they won't fix them because it has to be done somewhat manually. The exception being when one of the "Big 4" (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC) networks doesn't have guide data. There are 210 DMAs in the US and the way that sub-channels come and go, you can hardly blame them (except that it apparently wasn't designed to be completely automatic in the first place). Actually, it is semi-automatic and there was a post here somewhere from many years ago that explained it. Maybe someone with better searching skills than me can find it, because I have tried. Essentially what that post said was that the number of sub-channel "slots", so to speak, for a local OTA channel was locked in as of some specific date. It was after that date that Dish said they would no longer attempt to keep up with sub-channel additions. What that meant was that if a channel (let's say it was virtual channel 6) had 3 sub-channels (6.1, 6.2, 6.3) on that date, whatever sub-channel ended up on those 3 sub-channels after that date would have guide data. If the original channels were 6.1: CBS, 6.2: Decades, 6.3: Buzzr and the station added 6.4 as Laff, then 6.4 would not have guide data. But if instead, Laff replaced Decades on 6.2, then it would have guide data.

Yeah, the Dish receiver when you tune to RF19 does pick up CBS 2. It has been 24 hours since I last rescanned, and both CBS and WGN have the proper EPG. I am shocked because here in Chicago we have so many shared channels and the EPG is not correct for half of the .1 channels. I don't know what Dish did with WGN and CBS to separate them, but I wish they did it for the other channels as well.
How do you tune to RF19?

How do you tune to RF19?
System Setup --> Local Channels --> Add Locals --> Transmit Number

The transmit number is the frequency. Changing it to 19 will show the virtual channel of 2.

I have a VIP211k, so it is a slightly older model. I don't know what the path to get to this is on the Wally or Hopper.

The transmit number is the frequency. Changing it to 19 will show the virtual channel of 2.

I have a VIP211k, so it is a slightly older model. I don't know what the path to get to this is on the Wally or Hopper.
The Hopper/Wally system doesn’t allow for addition of a single frequency/channel. It’s a full scan or nothing.

I thought so but I was waiting for one of the experts to reply. I'm not going to pay $12.00 a month for guide data for one channel. Titan TV is my current source until it's fixed. Lets see what happens when CBS2 changes frequencies on the fifth.