Please reply by conversation.

Brewer4

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 12, 2005
Hartford Connecticut
CBS Doubles HD Coverage Of NFL
The network says it will show five or six games each week in high-def.
By Phillip Swann

Washington, D.C. (April 23, 2007) -- CBS says it will air five or six National Football League games each week during the 2007 season.

That's an increase from the network's 2006 offering of just three games a week in high-def.

Leslie Anne Wade, a network spokeswoman, told TVPredictions.com today that the network has decided to upgrade its high-def coverage.

"It will be up to six games a week," she said.

The additional HD broadcasts will bring CBS up to the same level as Fox, which also airs up to six NFL games a week in HD.

Both networks will sometimes carry seven or eight games a week, meaning some games will still not be in high-def.

CBS was criticized by newspaper columnists and high-def owners last season for airing only three NFL games each week in High-Definition.

There will be more Tom Brady in high-def.

However, a top CBS executive told TVPredictions.com in November that the network was seriously considering adding more HD games in 2007.

"We're studying it," said Robert Seidel, CBS' vice president for engineering and advanced technology, said then. "Our goal is to add more (HDTV) games each year."

Now, the network has confirmed the HD expansion.

CBS is the home network to the American Football Conference while Fox has the rights to the National Football Conference.

http://www.tvpredictions.com/cbshd042307.htm

Good News! Now the question is how will D* be able to handle these extra games as part of the SuperFan package? Last year D* needed to shut down one of the channels in the HD package in order to provide the HD game coverage. Will they require everyone that want's the HD games to upgrade to Ka/MEG4 boxes in order to get all the games, shut down additional HD package channels or just not offer them? Should be interesting to see what they do.

Hopefully the new sats are up and working so they dont need to pre empt any channels like they did last year.

That would be nice, but if they're couting on D10/D11 to be used for this then they better start getting the word out so folks that haven't done so already can start upgrading their dish and STB's so they can receive Ka/MPEG4 games.

I don't get the part about more Brady in HD since only 1 Pats game in the last 3 years has been SD in regular season.

Who said anything about needing the Overpriced SF to view these?
I have 3 CBS HD networks so maybe each will have HD games

Hopefully the new sats are up and working so they dont need to pre empt any channels like they did last year.

My feeling is that NFL ST SF will be in MPEG2 again this season - I don't see them being able to swap out all the MPEG2 HD subs in time for football. On the other hand, if the new sat IS up and running, they probably will begin putting the existing HD nationals on in both MPEG2 and MPEG4 for a while and begin an active campaign to migrate the base.

If that's the way it plays out, fewer people will be affected by the loss of TNT-HD on Sundays. I really don't think there is too much of an issue regarding the use of the PPV bandwidth on Sundays.

My feeling is that NFL ST SF will be in MPEG2 again this season - I don't see them being able to swap out all the MPEG2 HD subs in time for football. On the other hand, if the new sat IS up and running, they probably will begin putting the existing HD nationals on in both MPEG2 and MPEG4 for a while and begin an active campaign to migrate the base.

If that's the way it plays out, fewer people will be affected by the loss of TNT-HD on Sundays. I really don't think there is too much of an issue regarding the use of the PPV bandwidth on Sundays.

I feel they will also do as you suggested, start to migrate other channels to mpeg 4 while leaving the ST on mpeg2 this year.
Once they start moving stuff to mpeg 4 that will free up room for more HD channels in mpeg 2 format as well, so they probably will not need to remove anything this year.

Jimbo

I gotta think most HD Sunday Ticket folks gotta have at least an H20 or HR20. Of course only D* knows the numbers so that may be telling on their action. Given that, all HD installs for past year have included the AT9 or AU9 5 LNB dish. I doubt all Sunday Ticket SD will move off 101 but I gotta think the time is now to get Sunday Ticket HD on MPEG4 and off primary sats.

I guess it really doesn't matter as long as the original content are HD games. Bravo to CBS for actually listening to its customers. I renewed my ST package and this makes me fell much better about my decision. I can live without a few Browns and Raiders games in HD.

Hooray for CBS! I wonder what magic wand they waved to double their HD capacity this year? It's been so frustrating having good HD games on FOX (usually the Cowboys here), but only getting a CBS HD game about half the time, cuz the Chiefs only play Indy/NE/SanDiego every so often.

I'm thinking that the only SD games I'll see this year are when the Chiefs play the Raiders. :D

you guys are talking like D* already has the new Sats up and running..............their still sitting on the ground

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)