CBS HD Channels

TheGuv

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 21, 2004
State of Intoxication
I have had Dish Network since 6/1999 and was able to get both the east and west coast channels for CBS, NBC, ABC, and PBS when I initially signed up, since I live quite a distance from my local broadcasters (excepting Fox, which is closer). I still pay $1.50 each month for each channel.

I understand that CBS is available to HD customers if you already have the "distant" CBS channels (ch. 243 & 244 on Dish Network).

However, last week I called Dish Network after I got my new 921 receiver to inquire about the CBS feeds that they are advertising on their website as being available. After dealing with a very confused CSR there for about 20 minutes, I was connected to another service rep who told me that in order to receive the CBS HD channels, I would need to install another sat. dish...and that the sat. dish and installation would run about $300! :(

Why is this? I am able to get everything else that Dish Network offers (including the HD package) with only using the Dish 500 that was installed last week.

It seems to me that Dish Network is screwing eligible viewers like me by telling us that the distant CBS channels are available to eligible viewers, but that they don't provide the proper equipment to receive these channels when you upgrade to a HD receiver. Just does not make sense to me.

Had the same issue, found out later (does state it on Dish website too) that you have to have a dish pointed at either 61.5 (CBSHD east) or 148 (CBSHD west). I had the extra dish installed (at some cost to me) to get the extra feed. Glad I did.

Jay

TheGuv - you may want to check whether or not ANY locals you're entitled to sit on 61.5 or on 148 - this would entitle you to a free dish/install.

rangersjay99 said:
Had the same issue, found out later (does state it on Dish website too) that you have to have a dish pointed at either 61.5 (CBSHD east) or 148 (CBSHD west). I had the extra dish installed (at some cost to me) to get the extra feed. Glad I did.

Jay

Does this mean I would have to install TWO separate dishes in addition to the Dish 500 I already have if I want both the WCBS-E HD feed AND the KCBS-W HD feed? :confused:

If so, this is a friggin' joke on me/us by Dish Network!

Can I use my old (1999 era) pre-Dish 500 dish (which was removed when I got the 921 installed last week and forced to upgrade to the Dish 500) to receive one of the CBS HD feeds? At least that would save me a few bucks if I could put my old dish back into service for this.

TheGuv said:
Does this mean I would have to install TWO separate dishes in addition to the Dish 500 I already have if I want both the WCBS-E HD feed AND the KCBS-W HD feed? :confused:

You probably only have line of sight to one of those satellites, so this could be moot.

This is hardly a new development. It's been this way since they added the CBS-HD feeds. If I understand the new satellite bill correctly you will only be able to have HD distants who's broacast times are the same as your locals anyway.

NightRyder

yeah...but...

hancox said:
TheGuv - you may want to check whether or not ANY locals you're entitled to sit on 61.5 or on 148 - this would entitle you to a free dish/install.

Thanks for this infor, but I imagine that I would have to subscribe to the Dish Network locals package in order to get the free dish/install.

I have no intention of getting the local channels added to my Dish account because I already get 3x the number of local OTA channels that Dish Network can offer me (rural fringe area and I can recieve decent OTA signals from three separate media markets).

TheGuv said:
Thanks for this infor, but I imagine that I would have to subscribe to the Dish Network locals package in order to get the free dish/install.

I have no intention of getting the local channels added to my Dish account because I already get 3x the number of local OTA channels that Dish Network can offer me (rural fringe area and I can recieve decent OTA signals from three separate media markets).

True you would have to sign up for locals but no one says you would have to keep them. You would be out-of-pocket 5.00 for a month of locals and have you free dish installed.

TheGuv said:
Can I use my old (1999 era) pre-Dish 500 dish (which was removed when I got the 921 installed last week and forced to upgrade to the Dish 500) to receive one of the CBS HD feeds? At least that would save me a few bucks if I could put my old dish back into service for this.
Yes on the dish, maybe for its legacy LNB. What type of LNB is on the new Dish500? If it has a DishPro Twin your old dual will have to be replaced with a DP Single or DP Dual because you can't mix DP and legacy LNBs and switches. You may also have to add or replace an external switch. That's where ~$300 comes from.

As hancox and Paradox-SJ said, Dish is obligated to provide this equipment at no charge if you subscribe to locals and any of the local channels are on 61.5 or 148. Under the new law Dish has 18(?) months to move those channels off the wings making this a limited time offer.

You can get a more specific answer if you tell us your Dish500 LNB and switch configuration and the number and models of receivers you will have hooked up.

Have you tried getting CBS-HD & others OTA since you said you could get stations OTA from 3 markets?

Paradox-SJ said:
True you would have to sign up for locals but no one says you would have to keep them. You would be out-of-pocket 5.00 for a month of locals and have you free dish installed.
And also from dish fee rule #229b :rolleyes:: $5 programming reduction fee.

BobaBird said:
... Under the new law Dish has 18(?) months to move those channels off the wings ...
Not quite. E* has 18 months to put all of a given market's channels on a single dish. This is NOT the same thing as moving them off the wings.

Stated another way, E* can legally put ALL of a market's locals on a single wing, or ALL of them spread between 110/119 - or even spread them between 110/119/FSS using a SuperDish.

Now, what is smart for E* to do in any given market is a totally different question.

I wasn't thinking of the possibilities. Yes, those are all valid ways to provide a single dish solution, even if the single dish is actually an additional dish. The requirement is that a given market's stations all be available from the same dish which is not necessarily the same dish as the rest of the programming.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts