CBS HD East

hayesgb

Original poster
Dec 17, 2005
Hoping someone can help me out with this.

I subscribed to the HD pack to get NCAA in High Definition, under the impression that I would be able to get CBS-HD. I currently get CBS in SD as a distant network from Atlanta. Since the upgrade, I've been told that I do not qualify for CBS in HD from Atlanta as a distant feed, but I do qualify for CBS-HD East -- which unfortunately is on the 61.5 satellite. Of course, with the VIP211 upgrade, I got a DISH1000, so I can't get 61.5.

I talked with an advanced technical expert at DISH and was told that "in the next few weeks" many HD channels will be moving to the 129 satellite, and the CBS HD feed may be among them. Supposedly they will know more on April 1.

There's a posting about channels moving to 129, and I noticed the following from New York: WFTY, WLIW, WLNY, WMBC, WNJB, WNJU, WNYE, WRNW. Does anyone know if any of these is the CBS-HD East feed? My dilema is that if one of these is these is the CBS-HD feed, then I should just wait until the channel moves. If CBS-HD is not moving to a satellite that I can pick up with the DISH1000, then do I go ahead and spend the $$$ to have a 61.5 dish installed?

Any help would be appreciated.

No news of CBS-HD East feed moving. Hopefully dish will eventually update their system and give those who have an analog distant the corresponding HD distant.

But right now it shouldn't cost any extra to have 61.5 instead of a dish 1000. They may charge you a service fee to fix it the way you want though

If I remember right...

Since you qualify for CBS-HD E and no longer Atlanta, the install of a 2nd dish for 61.5 'should' be free.

If not, there are dozens of Dish 300/500's laying around that you can get for minimal cost to point at 61.5.

To futureproof yourself, go for the 1000 too.

The DPP44 might set you back some $$$ though. (Giving you 4 orbital slots - 61.5, 110, 119, 129)

Just my 2¢

Can anyone recommend the best source for getting a DISH 300/500? The tech who did the install took my 500, and I didn't know I needed to ask him to leave it...

I spoke with Cust. Svc and they told me it would cost $99 to get the install done.

hayesgb said:
Can anyone recommend the best source for getting a DISH 300/500? The tech who did the install took my 500, and I didn't know I needed to ask him to leave it...

I spoke with Cust. Svc and they told me it would cost $99 to get the install done.

If Dish will add the second dish at 61.5, keep the Dish1000 up, and include the DPP44 switch for $99, take the deal. It is well worth it.

Try auctions, yard sales or flea markets for the cheapest route. I've picked up several at a $1 a whack. Some places have a radio trader(here anyway) where you can call in what your looking for and people will call you if they have one.

Or, you might see if you can get your installer to give the D500 back.

Good Luck!

Don't feell bad. I now have the HD Packages on 129 and Dish 500. If you call Dish Network, they tell me CBS-HD in New York is already on 129 but I can't have it casue I need a waiver from some CBS station hundreds of miles away. I already get CBS SD in New York but need a waiver for HD. Totally Stupid if you ask me.

The NO HELP dish people don't have a clue what they are doing and refuse to let you talk to a supervisor.

I fear this company is flushing itself down the toilet.

The distant feeds of CBSHD are on 61.5 (east coast) and 148 (west coast). The 129 feed of KCBS is only available if you live in the L.A. DMA and is "mpeg4". The distant feed of CBS is provided free of charge if you live in an area served by an O&O station. There are 18 (Sacramento not on Dish's list). If you do not live in one of these areas, you may receive it if you get a waiver from the affiliates. Then you are only entitled (SHVERA) to receive the feed of your time zone or later. E* does not always follow this rule.

In your zip, you will probably need a waiver from K63AT and KLEW. These waivers will specifically need to say you are being allowed to receive the digital signal.

Scott

Back in January when i still had Dish network they let me switch my cbs hd feed
from 61.5 to 148 degrees so I could watch the LA hd cbs channel - but I still
missed a Pats game in HD broadcast in LA but not in NY.
Also I had to call India or the Philippines a couple of times to get it corrected (thought it used to be Tagolog people in Manilla but perhaps simply old Delhi) as one guy wanted to send someone out to put up
a fourth dish on 61.5 so I could have two there or something, I dunno what he was talking about. Still don't know.

The logic for getting CBSHD East is confusing. If you live in Los Angeles you can get CBSHD East feed? That means you can see all the CBS prime time shows at 5,6,&7 pm. I would think CBSHD West would object to that. Is this the situation?

Tvlman said:
The logic for getting CBSHD East is confusing. If you live in Los Angeles you can get CBSHD East feed? That means you can see all the CBS prime time shows at 5,6,&7 pm. I would think CBSHD West would object to that. Is this the situation?

Technically no you are not supposed to. You are entitled to the feed of your time zone or later. If you live in LA you are only supposed to get the West feed. Mute point since LA LILHD is up, though. Dish has not really enforced it.

I live in an OO dma and I recieve both CBSHD E&W...I just wonder what E* will do when the put my HDLIL up this quarter.

I would hate to have to give it up as early primetime cant be beat.

CBS and Echostar have a private agreement about the distribution of CBS-HD. This makes it different, it is not really a "distant" network in the sense where they give you a channel that is not available in your area or you live in a white area. What happends with CBS-E/W going to out of market areas that are not white areas will depend on this contract, and its renewal. Once Dish has LIL HD up in a bunch of cities, CBS may decide to not allow the distribution of the channels in the O&O markets any more (assuming all the O&O are HDLIL).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts