CBS-HD: Golf : PGA Championship, Final Round 2pm EST

wow I guess not a big tune in for this one, I watched about 1 minute of this. The HD content was good

I watched some of this yesterday and starting watching it today... is it just me or is there only a few HD camera televising this and the other camera view are SD? I was expecting to see this in all HD, but it will go from one shot being pure and another being blurred with different strobing affects (ie. stipes on a player shirt will flicker)? I know it probably is alot to do a full HD coverage, but I am also new to viewing HD sporting events.

cmurray said:
I watched some of this yesterday and starting watching it today... is it just me or is there only a few HD camera televising this and the other camera view are SD? I was expecting to see this in all HD, but it will go from one shot being pure and another being blurred with different strobing affects (ie. stipes on a player shirt will flicker)? I know it probably is alot to do a full HD coverage, but I am also new to viewing HD sporting events.

This is my biggest complaint about TNT/CBS. This broadcast should not be called HD but a mix of HD/SD. Some people are ok with this and they look at it, "it's better than nothing". My attitude is show everything HD or everything SD. Don't mix. It is terrible to watch an event like this in this condition. This is why I turn off TNT and CBS for golf. Until they do everything HD, I am not going to turn in. This is my own opinion.

I noticed it the minute and I mean minute I watched todays golf on CBS. I agree with turning it off because thats what I did....after I checked the settings on my TV. For a second there I thought my tv was going.

This was good for teaching the wife 'Now you see it---now you don't' regarding the HD picture. So now she can recognize the difference between HD and SD. Same thing was done during the NCAA tournament in March. It is very distracting, and you find yourself watching the picture quality instead of the game. I'd rather see 100% HD, as I'm sure most would agree--but mixing is not good. Everyone who posted in this thread seems to agree.

I can't understand how some of our wives need to be "shown" the difference between HD and SD, when I first saw Discovery HD theatre in the store before I bought my TV the first words out of my mouth were "Holy S$#@#!!! it's TV Mecca!"

My folks came over to watch Olympics in HD, and all I kept hearing was WOW! and IT'S LIKE YOUR THERE! or "LOOK AT GREECE!" This time everyone was asking me what the technical differences between HD/SD are, they even wanted to know why the Olympics SOUNDED 10 times better at my place than theirs when we both have DD5.1 systems.

That said Golf sucks on any definition IMO, it's watching these guys make millions for smacking a little white ball around on a nice cool breezy day. Golf-HD should be called Grass-HD, but it's mainly because golf is not my cup of tea. However, I also wanted to chime in and say that mixing HD/SD looks in a programming is really poor taste.

I agree. I don't enjoy watching this mixed HD/SD coverage. I think the problem with this and golf is the number of cameras needed to cover it. You can tell that the stationary cameras at most of the greens were HD. The handheld/mobile cameras were not. I think it would be difficult for them to have that many HD cameras out there on the course to have the entire broadcast in HD.

Its easier to get what we want when our wives are in our corner. Hey , I have to justify that $$$$ spent on my HDTV.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts