CBS Rumor

Ramy

The Star Wars Collector Podcast
Supporting Founder
Jan 27, 2004
Here
My CBS is still off. It says Nexstar is the company that owns the one I have. Scott Greczkowski heard anything about them?

goaliebob99

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Aug 5, 2004
-.-. .... .. -.-. .- --. ---
The update is ATT is still the Deathstar, and Nexstar is still greedy. They have to find the money to buy Tribune somewhere. (unless that fell through and I didn't notice)

Yep nexstar is asking for a fifty percent increase on current rates which is crazy considering the signals are free ota ones. Its very frustrating. This info was on the ATT investors call. It sounded like this is going to take a long time as nexstar needs to come back to reality on this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: whitewolf8214

DS0816

SatelliteGuys Pro
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 24, 2006
Affected CBS stations, as well as national cable programmers CBS Sports Network and Smithsonian Channel, are back.

I am glad for this.

Thank you, Scott!

Reactions: whitewolf8214

slice1900

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 14, 2015
IA
Yep nexstar is asking for a fifty percent increase on current rates which is crazy considering the signals are free ota ones. Its very frustrating. This info was on the ATT investors call. It sounded like this is going to take a long time as nexstar needs to come back to reality on this one.
Every time locals do renegotiations they are asking for increases of anywhere from 50-200%. Its just that it was easier for Directv to swallow then they went from 5 cents a month to 15 cents a month than when they go from $2.50 a month to $4. It is the absolute amount in dollars that is causing the pushback and larger number of disputes, not the percentages which are actually lower these days than they used to be.

My cable bill breaks out the cost of locals - over $15 a month. Since there's no way they are paying more than pennies for CW, that's probably an average of $3.75 per major network. They don't all hit their negotiations at the same time, so it is almost certain at least one is over $4.

TheTechGuru

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 30, 2010
Texas
Probably
PBS
Not to mention CW

John
I've always lived in big markets so the standard channels to me have always been ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, PBS, CW, and MNT...(last two were WB and UPN when I was a kid though)

I feel sorry for kids in small markets that do not have access to a PBS station if their parents can't afford cable/sat, and those are the ones that need PBS the most.

Reactions: dtv757

dtv757

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 19, 2019
I've always lived in big markets so the standard channels to me have always been ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, PBS, CW, and MNT...(last two were WB and UPN when I was a kid though)
UPN ! Star trek Voyager and wwe smackdown lol

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

NYDutch

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 28, 2013
Where our wheels go

I feel sorry for kids in small markets that do not have access to a PBS station if their parents can't afford cable/sat, and those are the ones that need PBS the most.
As we travel around the country in our RV, I've been amazed at the number of places where a PBS station is the only station our small crank up OTA antenna picks up. A look at the TVFool.com website often shows 2 or 3 PBS translators in the area. I'm sure there are areas with no PBS of course, but the stations do seem to be trying hard to minimize them...

bobvick

Pub Member / Supporter
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2006
Northwest Alabama

Most areas have a PBS member station readily available. Here Alabama has Alabama Public TV (the nations first ETV network 1955). There are 9 full power translators of the main station WBIQ in Birmingham. Coverage flows over into the neighboring four States as well. Perhaps if one is out west or in an area without a Statewide network they might be unable to get PBS programs, but I would say I. The east with a Statewide network that would be a rare situation.

TheTechGuru

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 30, 2010
Texas
As we travel around the country in our RV, I've been amazed at the number of places where a PBS station is the only station our small crank up OTA antenna picks up. A look at the TVFool.com website often shows 2 or 3 PBS translators in the area. I'm sure there are areas with no PBS of course, but the stations do seem to be trying hard to minimize them...
Most areas have a PBS member station readily available. Here Alabama has Alabama Public TV (the nations first ETV network 1955). There are 9 full power translators of the main station WBIQ in Birmingham. Coverage flows over into the neighboring four States as well. Perhaps if one is out west or in an area without a Statewide network they might be unable to get PBS programs, but I would say I. The east with a Statewide network that would be a rare situation.
Abilene TX has no PBS.

Nor does Waco TX (they lost their PBS last year see: Central Texas public television station KNCT ends 47-year run) but at least in Waco you can pick up Dallas/Fort Worth's PBS (KERA) with a big enough outdoor directional antenna.

BTW, how does one qualify for DirecTV's channel 389 PBSNET ?

slice1900

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 14, 2015
IA
Texas may not be providing enough funding for enough stations to keep statewide reception. They have a lot bigger area to cover than most states though (but also a lot bigger tax base)

In Iowa there is a network of translators so I'm sure you can pick it up pretty much anywhere. I imagine that part of the "public" mandate was to try to cover everyone in the state, unlike commercial stations where setting up a translator to serve a few thousand people here or there that can't otherwise pick it up didn't make sense from a profit/loss standpoint.

It will be interesting to see if stations make sense of the SFN option when they go ATSC 3.0, which is much better than translators. Smaller antennas designed to go on some of the taller cell towers would be a lot more cost effective than full sized antennas on big radio/TV towers.

NYDutch

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 28, 2013
Where our wheels go
As one non-profit to another, I suspect the affected PBS stations are not concerned at all that Locast is redistributing their programming... :)

slice1900

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 14, 2015
IA
As one non-profit to another, I suspect the affected PBS stations are not concerned at all that Locast is redistributing their programming... :)
They might care about certain things that are licensed - in Iowa PBS stations run old Doctor Who episodes late Saturday night, the rights owner (BBC I guess, unless they have sublicensed it in the US) might have a problem with Locast even if the PBS stations themselves don't.

NYDutch

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 28, 2013
Where our wheels go
They might care about certain things that are licensed - in Iowa PBS stations run old Doctor Who episodes late Saturday night, the rights owner (BBC I guess, unless they have sublicensed it in the US) might have a problem with Locast even if the PBS stations themselves don't.
I seem to recall that the early episodes are public domain now?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)