here we go again, DirecTv/AT&T about to enter yet another local channel dispute, this time, with CBS

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
What I understood a major point of dispute was that Directv wanted to pay for only their customers who received the channels via satellite, while CBS wanted them to pay for every customer in the DMA.

If Directv paid for only those who receive the channel via satellite, customers could opt out of their locals to save $15, and pick them up via other methods like OTA or Locast. Also some people who have cable internet may be able to get locals off their cable if they are unencrypted and the cable company either didn't install a filter or the one they installed doesn't block the locals.

Funny how a lot of media outlets wrote about the dispute but I have not read 1 article (beyond offical from cbs) that the agreement has been reached

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

About dang time! I was tired of having to remember to watch the NY channel

I'm glad this dispute is over. the dispute lasted almost 4 whole weeks . would had be a full 4 weeks if it gone on to this Friday night/Saturday morning.

The update is ATT is still the Deathstar, and Nexstar is still greedy. They have to find the money to buy Tribune somewhere. (unless that fell through and I didn't notice)

Yep nexstar is asking for a fifty percent increase on current rates which is crazy considering the signals are free ota ones. Its very frustrating. This info was on the ATT investors call. It sounded like this is going to take a long time as nexstar needs to come back to reality on this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: whitewolf8214
Affected CBS stations, as well as national cable programmers CBS Sports Network and Smithsonian Channel, are back.

I am glad for this.

Thank you, Scott!

Reactions: whitewolf8214
Yep nexstar is asking for a fifty percent increase on current rates which is crazy considering the signals are free ota ones. Its very frustrating. This info was on the ATT investors call. It sounded like this is going to take a long time as nexstar needs to come back to reality on this one.

Every time locals do renegotiations they are asking for increases of anywhere from 50-200%. Its just that it was easier for Directv to swallow then they went from 5 cents a month to 15 cents a month than when they go from $2.50 a month to $4. It is the absolute amount in dollars that is causing the pushback and larger number of disputes, not the percentages which are actually lower these days than they used to be.

My cable bill breaks out the cost of locals - over $15 a month. Since there's no way they are paying more than pennies for CW, that's probably an average of $3.75 per major network. They don't all hit their negotiations at the same time, so it is almost certain at least one is over $4.

Probably
PBS
Not to mention CW

John

I've always lived in big markets so the standard channels to me have always been ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, PBS, CW, and MNT...(last two were WB and UPN when I was a kid though)

I feel sorry for kids in small markets that do not have access to a PBS station if their parents can't afford cable/sat, and those are the ones that need PBS the most.

Reactions: dtv757
I've always lived in big markets so the standard channels to me have always been ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, PBS, CW, and MNT...(last two were WB and UPN when I was a kid though)
UPN ! Star trek Voyager and wwe smackdown lol

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I feel sorry for kids in small markets that do not have access to a PBS station if their parents can't afford cable/sat, and those are the ones that need PBS the most.
As we travel around the country in our RV, I've been amazed at the number of places where a PBS station is the only station our small crank up OTA antenna picks up. A look at the TVFool.com website often shows 2 or 3 PBS translators in the area. I'm sure there are areas with no PBS of course, but the stations do seem to be trying hard to minimize them...

Most areas have a PBS member station readily available. Here Alabama has Alabama Public TV (the nations first ETV network 1955). There are 9 full power translators of the main station WBIQ in Birmingham. Coverage flows over into the neighboring four States as well. Perhaps if one is out west or in an area without a Statewide network they might be unable to get PBS programs, but I would say I. The east with a Statewide network that would be a rare situation.

As we travel around the country in our RV, I've been amazed at the number of places where a PBS station is the only station our small crank up OTA antenna picks up. A look at the TVFool.com website often shows 2 or 3 PBS translators in the area. I'm sure there are areas with no PBS of course, but the stations do seem to be trying hard to minimize them...

Most areas have a PBS member station readily available. Here Alabama has Alabama Public TV (the nations first ETV network 1955). There are 9 full power translators of the main station WBIQ in Birmingham. Coverage flows over into the neighboring four States as well. Perhaps if one is out west or in an area without a Statewide network they might be unable to get PBS programs, but I would say I. The east with a Statewide network that would be a rare situation.

Abilene TX has no PBS.

Radar-All.png

Nor does Waco TX (they lost their PBS last year see: Central Texas public television station KNCT ends 47-year run) but at least in Waco you can pick up Dallas/Fort Worth's PBS (KERA) with a big enough outdoor directional antenna.

BTW, how does one qualify for DirecTV's channel 389 PBSNET ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)