CBS Will Drop Dish If Auto Hop Stays

Tony is right, when using the 30 second skip, I sometimes see Victoria Secret commercials and stop to watch them. But I never stopped for any other comercials.

Dunno if you have seen this, more fun to come!

CBS CEO Les Moonves left no doubt where he and the media company stand regarding Dish Network’s controversial ad-skipping technology offered on its new Hopper digital video recorder to subscribers.

Speaking Sept. 12 at the Bank of America-Merrill Lynch 2012 Media, Entertainment, Communications Conference in Beverly Hills, Calif., Moonves said that should Dish prevail in court later this month, CBS would take its programming off the satellite TV operator’s bundled programming.

“Hopper can’t exist,” Moonves said. “If Hopper exists and [Dish] want to eliminate our commercials, we will not be in business with them. It’s pure and simple.”

homemediamagazine.com

Not really. I don't think they can force affiliates to refuse to do business with Dish. And if they do, the affiliates will want to be compensated for the financial loss.

Besides, it isn't the Hopper they have a problem with. It's Autohop.

Not really. I don't think they can force affiliates to refuse to do business with Dish. And if they do, the affiliates will want to be compensated for the financial loss

im sure affiliates have licensing agreements and carriage agreements with the network
thats where it will come into play

This is uncharted though. People can say they wont do this, they wont do that. When it comes down to it, if you don't like the rules, or whats going on, rewrite them. Government does it all the time.

It's gonna get worse for Dish before it gets better. Still a dumb move IMO to piss off so many (seeing what problems they already have) for a feature thats not gonna make them but x amount. Whats gonna help the sub count, having Disney and CBS, or Hopper?

Im watching it closely, not because I give a flip about Dish, but because it has big ramifications on other providers. I see a lose, but maybe not.

If dish wins and CBS or any other network says we won't do business then I foresee the fcc stepping in.The negotiating in good faith clause will come into play.Charlie probably had that in mind when he moved ahead with autohop.The way I see it if CBS pulls off of Dish because of being on the short end of the ruling,they would in effect have to pull off dtv and every other cable system.Don't see how they could offer other carriers their service and exclude dish.Going to be very interesting to say the least.

Teehar said:
If dish wins and CBS or any other network says we won't do business then I foresee the fcc stepping in.The negotiating in good faith clause will come into play.Charlie probably had that in mind when he moved ahead with autohop.The way I see it if CBS pulls off of Dish because of being on the short end of the ruling,they would in effect have to pull off dtv and every other cable system.Don't see how they could offer other carriers their service and exclude dish.Going to be very interesting to say the least.

And if Dish wins, other providers will follow suit and offer the same technology. Both sides are doing a lot of posturing, I would take anything said with a large grain of salt.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Is the hop feature worth POing off the networks? We already lost AMC over this feature that don't work that great anyhow. Most times I'm halfway to the end of the commercial by the time it kicks in. What else will we lose when other channels run by the networks come up for renewal?

Dunno if you have seen this, more fun to come!

homemediamagazine.com
Maybe I should call old Les up and let him know that if DISH wins in court (and I expect them to) that I am hearing that DIRECTV has its Auto Skip technology all ready to go and they plan on calling it the Genie and it could be sent to DIRECTV boxes as soon as the ruling is released. (In fact if you search DIRECTV has already trademarked the name.

I think I would actually be willing to pay more for no commercials. I really enjoy series shows on HBO/Showtime which are of course commercial free...

Is the hop feature worth POing off the networks? We already lost AMC over this feature that don't work that great anyhow. Most times I'm halfway to the end of the commercial by the time it kicks in. What else will we lose when other channels run by the networks come up for renewal?

AMC has nothing to do with the Hop feature, it's not even hoppable.

30 years from now 'hoppable' will be added to the Webster Dictionary. Alas, Bobby will get no credit at all, nor will he care because he will be 98 years old. He may be dead, he may be alive, but trust me, at his age it just doesn't matter... :D

Yeah right! He's also going to shut off anyone with a DVR including those with OTA TIVOs. Effectively he's going to announce the closure of CBS television.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)