CBS Will Drop Dish If Auto Hop Stays

I agree with CBS.

If customers want to use a DVR to skip commercials themselves then fine, but what Dish is trying to do is create a bootleg VOD service using the networks content by skipping the commercials for the customer.

The difference between hopper and a regular DVR is that customers don't generally skip all the commercials and will just let the entire show play with the commercials.

I would like to see how this game of chicken plays out and who gives in.

I think Dish is screwed, if the networks make good on their threats. Just like Dish pulled AMC when they didn't like the outcome of the lawsuit, I think the networks will do the same.

The difference between hopper and a regular DVR is that customers don't generally skip all the commercials and will just let the entire show play with the commercials.

I don't claim to speak for others, but I couldn't tell you the last time I actually saw a commercial for more than the time it takes to hit 'skip'!! :)

Hard to tell if it's postering or if he really means it. I also wonder if they lose in Court, can they legally pull stations from one carrier giving an advantage to another. Seems like nothing can be predicted if networks lose in court.

Like I said before if DISH wins this in court hich most expect they will then DIRECTV will unleash their GENIE as well. I hear its already to go.

There is nothing illegal about skipping commercials.

Besides they only own 14 stations, which will keep CBS on DISH in most of America. The only ones they will be hurting is themselves.

I agree with CBS.

If customers want to use a DVR to skip commercials themselves then fine, but what Dish is trying to do is create a bootleg VOD service using the networks content by skipping the commercials for the customer.

I would like to see how this game of chicken plays out and who gives in.

I think Dish is screwed, if the networks make good on their threats. Just like Dish pulled AMC when they didn't like the outcome of the lawsuit, I think the networks will do the same.

Claude,

I disagree. Isn't it almost the same thing? The difference is that you have to wait at least 24 hours (if memory serves me right) after it's been recorded before you can auto-hop instead of manually skipping using the remote.

Yeah right! He's also going to shut off anyone with a DVR including those with OTA TIVOs. Effectively he's going to announce the closure of CBS television.
Your putting your foot in your mouth with that forcast. DISH isn't the only way people have access to CBS. I doubt they can speak for any more than the owned and operated CBS stations. Affiliates will probably have pressure on them to cancel their contracts with DISH but can they be forced to drop DISH?

Wait a minute! Moonves complains about Dish not carrying their commercials and how that is how the network makes its nut, but at the same time he said that the network received 1 BILLION dollars from carriage fees!!!!!! Holy CRAP!

Besides when is CBS (and DISH) going to learn that if we really want to watch it... its FREE on the Internet without commercials if you know where to look.

to CBS:
fear.jpg

Scott Greczkowski said:
Like I said before if DISH wins this in court hich most expect they will then DIRECTV will unleash their GENIE as well. I hear its already to go.

There is nothing illegal about skipping commercials.

Besides they only own 14 stations, which will keep CBS on DISH in most of America. The only ones they will be hurting is themselves.

Scott all great points. I forgot about Direct TV being ready. This could be extremely interesting. Sending this from the mobile app or I would include the popcorn...

Apart from the CBS O&O's how do they make good on this threat? It they mandated that all affiliates refuse to do business with Dish, they would IMO, have a lot of dissension in the ranks. It could turn into a real cluster you-know-what in markets across the country with stations dropping and swapping networks.

Ive read several articles that break it down. The bulk of their money isnt from carriage, its advertising.
And if Leslie Moonves pulls his CBS stations from DISH its 17 million eyeballs that are not seeing his ads. So not only will he be losing carriage fees but a huge chunk of ad revenue.

He would kill CBS long before there were enough Hoppers in the field to even make a dent.

I dont know if the stations are able to get around autohop some way or if Dish is just having some hicups with autohop, but my autohop as of late does not seem to be working, its not skipping commericals

Rolling Joe said:
Apart from the CBS O&O's how do they make good on this threat? It they mandated that all affiliates refuse to do business with Dish, they would IMO, have a lot of dissension in the ranks. It could turn into a real cluster you-know-what in markets across the country with stations dropping and swapping networks.

Probably would be collusion also...

And if Leslie Moonves pulls his CBS stations from DISH its 17 million eyeballs that are not seeing his ads. So not only will he be losing carriage fees but a huge chunk of ad revenue.

He would kill CBS long before there were enough Hoppers in the field to even make a dent.

I agree, pulling the stations would hurt their ad revenue, but don't think that Dish is the only craft one around here, which i think some of you have concluded Dish won already. When this filters out in the end, I still dont think it's a win for Dish, but we'll see.

I also think you may be overstating the importance of Dish's 17 million, when CBS has exposure online, OTA and all the other providers. Thats not gonna put them outta business. When you have all the networks banning together, they may agree to take the hit to make Dish hurt, and it would.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)