CBS Will Drop Dish If Auto Hop Stays

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Also, I've always said the Broadcast TV business model is broke since the mid 80's. Their refusal to modify their business model from the 30 sec spot to a diversified revenue stream and integrated advertising content will be the death of the industry.

What do you call carriage fees if not "diversified"? What do you call all those darn bugs and promos for upcoming shows if not "integrated content"?

ScottChez said:
I am beginning to think Dish is getting the USB OTA over the Air tuner ready for release not because we want it for sub channels but to help battle CBS when it is pulled.

Dish will just give out USB tuners in markets it pulled from so Dish customers can watch CBS Free over the air.

Too bad I can't get my local cbs ota. :-( I really don't want to lose a major network channel.

Sent from my phone using SatelliteGuys sweet app

After I got 2 hoppers (only one set to PTAT) and 2 joeys I was looking through what it was recording. I found that I only watch 1 or 2 shows from each network a week. Loosing a show wouldn't hurt (say CBS), because there are now shows I've looked at that I never had time before to watch. A year ago I thought about putting up an antennae so I started to investigate what to get. Since i am in the hills of West Virginia the web sites I went to said my antennae would need to be 14 feet long. No way was that going to happen. Then I saw an add on satellite.guys about one that is about 2 feet long with new tech so I bought one and get 7 local channels. Sometimes theres good surprises

That's a Crock

You're right, I misspoke. There are lots of other reasons to hate them too. I just meant to say Claude sentiments (whatever they may be) are rational and justified.

But about the Auto Hop, I certainly don't think it's illegal but I have no familiarity with that case so I have no clue what the outcome will (or should) be. The only ones who gain from that case (and all others) are the lawyers, judges, court clerks, etc. The parties involved should just work it out and save themselves millions.

I can certainly see why CBS and other broadcasters would be "upset". They are concerned it will affect their ability to secure and maintain paying advertisers if their normal services to those advertisers are being handicapped. So... Let them go, let them stay, it doesn't matter anyway. The wise will gain from both outcomes.

You're right, I misspoke. There are lots of other reasons to hate them too. I just meant to say Claude sentiments (whatever they may be) are rational and justified.
But, from what we do know about his sentiments, they would be better off expressed in a dealer/retailer forum, as opposed to here. We don't deal with the retailer side here, so his applying negativity to Dish end-user threads because of issues with the business side is ridiculous.

Besides they only own 14 stations, which will keep CBS on DISH in most of America. The only ones they will be hurting is themselves.
The general public doesn't know that though. Besides, the general public doesn't listen to rants by an executive at a TV network about some obscure, DVR feature.

What do you call carriage fees if not "diversified"? What do you call all those darn bugs and promos for upcoming shows if not "integrated content"?

Promos are part of the 30 second spot revenue stream but most of the time these are not generating revenue, same as the PSA. They are used as "fillers." Carriage fees are indeed a very very tiny % of the gross sales in broadcasting. Unless this % has a significant contribution to the total, I don't call it diversified. Diversity is like having 4 income streams with each contributing about 25%. Not one at 97% and 3 at 1% each.

As early as the mid 90's I demonstrated the success of the integrated ad in my programming. I demonstrated the use of selling real estate on the screen to promote other sponsors. While cable did adopt the sale of screen real estate as a way to generate additional diversified ad revenue, it has only been recent that I have seen this concept showing up on satellite and local broadcast.

I am beginning to think Dish is getting the USB OTA over the Air tuner ready for release not because we want it for sub channels but to help battle CBS when it is pulled.
How will that help the vast majority of Dish customers ? CBS will be pulled from ALL Dish customers, not just those with a Hopper. Then you've got the small issues of antennas...

I know that Nielsen has adapted their methods over time, including DVR usage, but if I watch a network show, am I not counted as a viewer even though I MIGHT skip commercials ? Or, do they NOT count me because I have a DVR and may have skipped commercials and not watched them ?

I know that Nielsen has adapted their methods over time, including DVR usage, but if I watch a network show, am I not counted as a viewer even though I MIGHT skip commercials ? Or, do they NOT count me because I have a DVR and may have skipped commercials and not watched them ?
They use 25000 households as a statistical sample to represent the households in america. You're only counted indirectly. Nielsen is used to help set ad rates for the broadcast networks. You don't watch commercials, you don't count at all since this is all about money.

Promos are part of the 30 second spot revenue stream but most of the time these are not generating revenue, same as the PSA. They are used as "fillers." Carriage fees are indeed a very very tiny % of the gross sales in broadcasting. Unless this % has a significant contribution to the total, I don't call it diversified. Diversity is like having 4 income streams with each contributing about 25%. Not one at 97% and 3 at 1% each.

As early as the mid 90's I demonstrated the success of the integrated ad in my programming. I demonstrated the use of selling real estate on the screen to promote other sponsors. While cable did adopt the sale of screen real estate as a way to generate additional diversified ad revenue, it has only been recent that I have seen this concept showing up on satellite and local broadcast.

That's all we need, is more popups :rolleyes:

whatchel1 said:
Was your local on the list of 14? If not then you have nada to worry about.

Unfortunately it is. :-( in order for me to get cbs, I need a large rooftop multi directional antenna with pre amp. This is not really feasable for one channel.

Last edited:
Unfortunately it is. :-( in order for me to get cbs, I need a large rooftop multi directional antenna with pre amp. This is not really feasable for one channel.
Exactly. I'm 90 miles west of Minneapolis, and while there ARE translators out here, I would need a rooftop antenna, which I'm not inclined to install for one channel --$$$. If CBS goes, I may be going, too. If I have to pay more to get the channels my family watches, I may have to. I'm hoping it doesn't come to that, as I do love PTAT and AutoHop, but I lived 36 years without it, so it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Also, internet in my neck of the woods peaks at 2.5mbps. And that's on a good day. So, an "Aereo" like option is not feasible.

Honestly, retrans fee is a really annoying to me. Every provider should first be allowed to carry something that is given OTA for free. Second, providers should only be allowed to charge for equipment use to any customer who chooses to only want to pick up their local channels. I hear that it isn't the case with all cable outlets. But here if I canceled Dish I would still be able to pick up the locals through Comcast with my phone and internet subscription. I just feel that a rule established in 1993 (need to check that year) is total garbage for the situation in 2012. It's like saying that I must pay a rental fee for my abacus. Back then, Cable only got roughly 30 to 40 channels. the locals made up a bigger percentage of the line-up. Anyway, just my opinion. It would have also been my opinion when the rule was made.

dare2be said:
You need to change that sig line of yours. :(

Lol ha, I forgot that was even there. You are right I will when I get a chance

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)