CBS Will Drop Dish If Auto Hop Stays

I THINK I agree to what you are trying to say, but not sure. Care to rephrase?
Thanks. What I meant was loyality in todays world is practically non-existent. The problems I have had with Dish are small compared to my cable friends. To receive price increases is no fun for anyone, but they are small and they seem to be every couple of years. Compare that with Comcast or Direct TV...........and the overall service from Dish
and they will continue to have my loyality

To receive price increases is no fun for anyone, but they are small and they seem to be every couple of years. Compare that with Comcast or Direct TV...........

can you explain this? my direct bill has not increased any more then my dish bill ever did

As I see it, this in not as simple as it seems. First, the CBS O&O's (the only ones Les can "remove") are BROADCASTERS and come under different rules. Isn't one of them that the parties must deal in good faith IF the broadcaster elects to negotiate for a re-trans fee? It would seem Les's absolutist quotes, including a quote that he will NOT allow his CBS O&O's to be retransmitted as long as the Auto-Hop exists would seem to strengthening any complaints filed with the FCC by Dish regarding those rules that apply to BROADCASTERS not channels like AMC. In other words, Les just can't just take his stations down just because he doesn't like Auto-Hop, while the non-broadcast channels are free to do that just because they want to. I think the FCC, public (the PUBLIC INTEREST of their local BROADCAST station), and the courts are not going to be in CBS's favor, especially since Auto-Hop is USER initiated.

Further, let's say Les is successful in having negations with situation where Dish can not obtain the rights to retransmit CBS's O&O's. Could not Dish import an out of market local CBS affiliate as provided by law?

It would seem to me that Dish feels they can import if Les doesn't want to deal, and that may be way Dish is going froward with Auto-Hop, as well as a demonstration to the big broadcast networks that if they if they don't come down on fees for retransmission or otherwise enhance their deals, Dish will just import a local. True, it would not have the local news, but the broadcast network Prime-time programs will still be available on Dish, while the local O&O's suffer ratings loss and possible irreversible loss of local new ratings to the competition. The local O&O newscast is big money maker for the local O&O's, and it would hurt a lot to lose numbers there.

That's my take and the only way I could see Dish feeling confident enough to make the Auto-hop move despite broadcast network howling.

As I see it, this in not as simple as it seems. First, the CBS O&O's (the only ones Les can "remove") are BROADCASTERS and come under different rules.

Further, let's say Les is successful in having negations with situation where Dish can not obtain the rights to retransmit CBS's O&O's. Could not Dish import an out of market local CBS affiliate as provided by law?

CBS O&O is about 30%+ of US households since they own the largest markets. Dish cannot import an out of market station. CBS also tends to have the highest ratings. It would be a major blow to Dish if they were pulled.

powerhouse1960 said:
Not really most people will just change services as soon as they can

I don't see that happening. Sure there would be people changing providers, but to say most people is a bit much. I mean if they were to be pulled, I am sure dish would have some kind of contingency plan. So while I agree that customer churn would increase, I would say most people will wait and see what happens.

Sent from my phone using SatelliteGuys sweet app

I don't see that happening. Sure there would be people changing providers, but to say most people is a bit much. I mean if they were to be pulled, I am sure dish would have some kind of contingency plan. So while I agree that customer churn would increase, I would say most people will wait and see what happens.

Maybe some will wait but I think dish has passed the tipping point for most people , we have lost 6 channels in the Indianapolis dma do to disputes in the last few months , and that does not count the Disney hd dispute.
Now take away CBS too I think you will see a lot of very unhappy people.

As I see it, this in not as simple as it seems. First, the CBS O&O's (the only ones Les can "remove") are BROADCASTERS and come under different rules. Isn't one of them that the parties must deal in good faith IF the broadcaster elects to negotiate for a re-trans fee? It would seem Les's absolutist quotes, including a quote that he will NOT allow his CBS O&O's to be retransmitted as long as the Auto-Hop exists would seem to strengthening any complaints filed with the FCC by Dish regarding those rules that apply to BROADCASTERS not channels like AMC. In other words, Les just can't just take his stations down just because he doesn't like Auto-Hop, while the non-broadcast channels are free to do that just because they want to. I think the FCC, public (the PUBLIC INTEREST of their local BROADCAST station), and the courts are not going to be in CBS's favor, especially since Auto-Hop is USER initiated.

It would seem to me that Dish feels they can import if Les doesn't want to deal, and that may be way Dish is going froward with Auto-Hop, as well as a demonstration to the big broadcast networks that if they if they don't come down on fees for retransmission or otherwise enhance their deals, Dish will just import a local. True, it would not have the local news, but the broadcast network Prime-time programs will still be available on Dish, while the local O&O's suffer ratings loss and possible irreversible loss of local new ratings to the competition. The local O&O newscast is big money maker for the local O&O's, and it would hurt a lot to lose numbers there.

That's my take and the only way I could see Dish feeling confident enough to make the Auto-hop move despite broadcast network howling.

Yep. CBS would lose the case since the Auto-Hop IS initiated by the user and NOT Dish. The commercial skipping has already been upheld by the court.

powerhouse1960 said:
Maybe some will wait but I think dish has passed the tipping point for most people , we have lost 6 channels in the Indianapolis dma do to disputes in the last few months , and that does not count the Disney hd dispute.
Now take away CBS too I think you will see a lot of very unhappy people.

No doubt there will be a lot of unhappy people, and justifiably so. I will be one as my cbs would be affected. We are on the same page there, I just don't see a mass exit. Whether it be out of loyalty, laziness, discounts or special offerings, or a substituted cbs channel people will stay. There will be large numbers that do go, but nothing detrimental.

If antenna is not a practical solution -

Hopper + Playon = CBS (via CBS.com and Hulu)
In locations where an antenna is not a practical solution, it is likely that broadband internet is difficult to come by, too. My internet is 2.5 Mbps (the fastest I can get), and that makes streaming a chore sometimes.

Besides, PlayOn (which I have, and love) doesn't give you LIVE network feeds, which would include live network events (sports, awards shows, news, etc.). It's a great "in a pinch" solution, but by no means a replacement for the actual network feed.

Is CBS also in control of the Viacom channels? I thought they weren't after the split. If so, just watch those be pulled as well. I do know that CBS and Showtime are in the same family of networks. So could we see CBS pull Showtime, The Movie Channel, and Flix into this mess?

That's what I thought. If they want to create havoc, they could pull Showtime Nets if this whole thing blows up and stays on going. The CW is half owned with Tribune as the whole WB and UPN merger. I don't see Tribune jumping on board with that.

The Fat Man said:
That's what I thought. If they want to create havoc, they could pull Showtime Nets if this whole thing blows up and stays on going. The CW is half owned with Tribune as the whole WB and UPN merger. I don't see Tribune jumping on board with that.

The CW is a 50/50 joint ownership between CBS and Warner Bros (Time Warner)

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Yep. CBS would lose the case since the Auto-Hop IS initiated by the user and NOT Dish. The commercial skipping has already been upheld by the court.

And since Les's O&O's are BROADCAST, he just can't make Auto-hop a condition for retransmitting CBS O&O's. However, as someone already stated, the man at the top (still Sumner Redstone?) of the CBS, Viacom pyramid could use other channels that either CBS or Viacom own (such as MTV, etc.) to leverage Dish into killing auto-hop if it wants those NON-broadcast channels. But, then again, Dish could file a complaint with the FCC if such a condition were communicated to Dish because it would involve the BROADCAST stations, not just the NON-broadcast channels. I don't think the BROADCASTERS can involve other non-broadcast channels in negotiations for LIL re-transmission, and this limits Les's options.

It seems like Dish really wants to build a service that will push ads to viewer based upon data from its STB's in homes accross America. Yeah, Auto-hop for now, but more of the banner ads and I would think even 15 second commercials that can't be skipped when we press play that are targeted especially for us. I think that is Dish's answer to Auto-hop for the broadcasters, then the other channels years later.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts