CBS Will Limit Airing of NFL Game

korsjs

Welcome To SatelliteGuys
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 25, 2004
Land O Lakes, FL
After the NFL moved the Miami Dolphins-Kansas City Chiefs NFL game to Friday night due to Hurricane Wilma, CBS said it will show the game in five selected local markets.

The game, which will kick off at 7 p.m. ET in Miami, will air on CBS affiliates in Miami (WFOR), West Palm Beach (WPEC), Fort Myers (WINK), Kansas City (KCTV) and Topeka (WIBW) – which combine to make up 3.47% of the country’s viewership.

The rest of the nation will see CBS’s regularly-scheduled Friday-night lineup of Ghost Whisperer, Threshold and Numb3rs, in conjunction with the NFL's long-standing policy of not wanting to conflict with high school and college games.

However, fans outside of these markets will be unable to see the game live at all, even for subscribers of the DirecTV “Sunday Ticket” NFL package, which does not have the rights outside of its Sunday window.

The NFL will, however, air the game via delay on its NFL Network Sunday night at a time to be determined.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6276565.html?display=Breaking+News

I have no problem with this. I think CBS is doing the right thing by making this available to those cities directly affected by the hurricane and not impacting High School and College Football fans. Furthermore, why interrupt CBS viewers who enjoy regularly scheduled Friday night programming.

They could at least allow the affiliates who broadcast on multiple subchannels to show regular CBS crap on the main channels and show the game on a sub channel, granted its only good for those with OTA, but still it would be nice.

SatinKzo said:
They could at least allow the affiliates who broadcast on multiple subchannels to show regular CBS crap on the main channels and show the game on a sub channel, granted its only good for those with OTA, but still it would be nice.
That's a very good idea and makes perfect common sense. Let's see if CBS has any common sense.... :rolleyes:

These "rights" issues are very hard to understand. Who is "NFL Sunday Ticket"? Is it a company? Who does D* negotiate with to have NFL ST? Isn't it the NFL?

Pro sports need to be reeled in on these broadcast decisions. Here's another "rights" issue. In Tucson, the Padres are considered in market. Cox owns the rights to the Padres broadcasts. They don't show the Padres in Tucson (they are the big cable co. here). So when I tuned in to MLB EI to watch the Giants/Padres games...guess what...Not Available in My Area !!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR Couldn't even watch it on MLB.TV Who owns the rights to MLB.TV??? MLB???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)