XXI Century Explorer
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2004
NE OH
More updates from Scott... coming soon!

While VOOM didn't announce any new receivers, they were showing off the chassis of some upcoming receivers including a redesigned DSR-550 unit (complete with HDMI output) and a Standard Definition VOOM receiver.

Both units have the same compact design, which is much smaller then the origional VOOM receivers.

Below are photos and detailed photos from the back of each chassis.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• voom4.jpg
    voom4.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 930
  • voom5.jpg
    voom5.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 876
  • voom6.jpg
    voom6.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 762
  • voom7.jpg
    voom7.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 747
  • voom8.jpg
    voom8.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 787
  • voom9.jpg
    voom9.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 809
Walter L. said:
I wonder if the SD-only STB means that VOOM is planning to offer an SD-only package ;)
Either that, or the SD-STB fits into the home networking solution. Pay less for SD boxes for your SD sets, but the whole house gets the same channels.

There are tons of questions:
HD-PPV?
What's up with the Elliptical dish?
New packages? Price of DVR?
Status of Spin-off? Sale? Merger?
Which new channels will be on the 2nd satellite?

I belive as I've read before on here, The SD STBs still receive the HD, but they only output SD, seems kinda silly, but I guess it saves them some money, not having to output that HD signal in HD...

The SD box is not silly at all, if I wanted to switch to VOOM exclusivly (something I want to do) I need SD boxes, I have 6 TV's in my house yet only 2 are HD.

THe SD Box is as much as something I need as is the DVR. When VOOM has both I will drop Dish.

I think Voom needs some SD subscribers to get their subscriber numbers up. They can still do HD and go forward with it as they are doing now but get some SD subscribers as well until they are also ready for HD.

What is HDMI

How is HDMI different from DVI, and if i have a Mitsubishi 65813 Diamond set will it support HDMI. I have heard HDMI is the interface for the new HDDVD media when it will be released, either BLue Ray or HD DVD. Any light on this will be appreciated

PLEASE tell me they will be smart enough to put an ATSC tuner in the SD box. Not having one would be a disaster. But would fit this companies SOP.

And my other comment: BFD an empty box?

A good point is that Voom needs the SD customers. I know of several people I work with that would never consider Voom because they don't have HD sets. I for one have three Voom receivers, but keep basic cable for the other TVs in the house. I'd give Voom $5-6 per receiver (leased), or buy cheap $49 receivers and pay the $5 mirror to get rid of cable.

However, this undersores some things Voom needs to do. SD boxes are dramatically cheaper to make. So, why not charge $49 each (or free to new subscribers up to 3), etc and the old $1.99 mirror fee D* used to have. It would make a compelling case to go to Voom. Right now, everyone I personally know that has Voom has another provider as well.

Again, Listen up Voom, My old D* SD boxes didnt have ASTC tuners and were useless with my digital antenna (UHF only) and since you do not offer locals on sat and do not want another mantra of "i cant get my locals OTA" you had better have an ASTC tuner in this SD box. Maybe even an NTSC one as well.

wase4711 said:
I was thinking the same exact thing....
That really PISSES me off. This company needs subs, is teetering on death and they show up with an empty SD box? We are talking about the simplest sat technology in existence today arent we? Doesnt that mean probably 6 months to a year before they get one produced? An item that D* and E* are pumping out in droves and giving away for free?

Truly embarrassing.

vurbano said:
That really PISSES me off. This company needs subs, is teetering on death and they show up with an empty SD box? We are talking about the simplest sat technology in existence today arent we? Doesnt that mean probably 6 months to a year before they get one produced? An item that D* and E* are pumping out in droves and giving away for free?

Truly embarrassing.

Again you guys surprise me a whole lot. There's a reason for having an empty box. Think about it. What was the reason for putting NDS on VOOM? with NDS available, now they may the box manufactured from any source, not just Motorola. They showed an empty box but there's no reason to believe that there's not already somewhere being tested.

Maybe they should have kept silence and said nothing and we would have complained about the lack of information as well :D .

P.S. As I said before there's a lot of stuff going on behind the scene that is not out yet. It will be made available when it is ready to be released.

Sean Mota said:
Maybe they should have kept silence and said nothing and we would have complained about the lack of information as well :D .
Maybe they should have brought those boxes then? This is a show to impress and build confidence. You dont do that by looking like your struggling and dying showing empty boxes, and letting D* demo a new whole house solution with ucentric after 2 months of working with them while you show nothing? and wait till later in the day? Comeon Voom show some life! :rolleyes:

vurbano said:
Maybe they should have brought those boxes then? This is a show to impress and build confidence. Not to look like your struggling and dying.

From what I saw... it doe not look like they are struggling and dying... :D That's everyone's opinion... but again that's a discussion for another thread and no this thread. This thread is about the SD or new boxes. ;)

They should not waste their money on SD only boxes. The current box works just fine on a SD TV.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)