CES-2005: Upcoming (smaller) STBs

Scott Greczkowski said:
The SD box is not silly at all, if I wanted to switch to VOOM exclusivly (something I want to do) I need SD boxes, I have 6 TV's in my house yet only 2 are HD.

THe SD Box is as much as something I need as is the DVR. When VOOM has both I will drop Dish.

Ditto I only have one HD set in my house but 2 SD TVs If I didn't have to pay the rental on the 2nd HD box that would be nice.

Sean Mota said:
From what I saw... it doe not look like they are struggling and dying... :D That's everyone's opinion... but again that's a discussion for another thread and no this thread. This thread is about the SD or new boxes. ;)

Sean when just over 51% of the population believes something it becomes fact. Doesn't matter if it can be proven or not it becomes part of reality to the perception of the masses regardless.

There is no such things as solid facts only perception of what we think is real. Sure its ignorance but thats how it works.

queefer said:
Sean when just over 51% of the population believes something it becomes fact. Doesn't matter if it can be proven or not it becomes part of reality to the perception of the masses regardless.

There is no such things as solid facts only perception of what we think is real. Sure its ignorance but thats how it works.

Again where you 51% of the population comes from. You believe what you want to believe. And the best thing you, yourself, can do is vote with your pocket. Talk is cheap. I will be here and I will also walk when the time comes. The time has not come yet. Again this is not the proper thread for this. There's another thread for this. Any more comments not regarding the specific topic of the thread will be removed. I will remove these in a short while as well.

calikarim said:
How is HDMI different from DVI, and if i have a Mitsubishi 65813 Diamond set will it support HDMI. I have heard HDMI is the interface for the new HDDVD media when it will be released, either BLue Ray or HD DVD. Any light on this will be appreciated

HDMI is basically the same thing as DVI, but it passes audio information as well as video information. I believe the video data is actually exactly the same as the DVI video data, since you can easily find adapters to go from HDMI to DVI and vice versa for really cheap.

I think this is a good idea, the question of which tuner will be included (ASTC/NTSC) is an issue since locals over Sat. or other Voom method isn't happening yet. I always thought this is an achilles heal for most people... why go with Voom's multiroom deals when I could have D*'s cheaper plans?

Now Voom can offer an attractive package to people WITHOUT HDTV, or someone who wouldn't mind spending a few dollars to wire their 1 HDTV and still have a cheap solution for SD TVs.

If this is attractive finanacially, I'm going to have my 2 other TVs hooked up for SD for my kids.

I guess I just don't get the attraction of an SD box, since the HD box already does SD. I have 1 hooked to an SD tv now, and it's outstanding.

vurbano said:
Again, Listen up Voom, My old D* SD boxes didnt have ASTC tuners and were useless with my digital antenna (UHF only) and since you do not offer locals on sat and do not want another mantra of "i cant get my locals OTA" you had better have an ASTC tuner in this SD box. Maybe even an NTSC one as well.

If you look at the rear of the SD receiver, there looks to be a OTA hole, looks like it is right above the sat spot.

I think that SD boxes is one of the best things that Voom can do. Obviously there are people on this forum who think that having an HD box on every TV is a good idea, whether or not they are HDTVs. I can't see how, with the exception of a MINOR upgrade in PQ how this is feasable for the majority of people, and for Voom to survive they need to market themselves to a wider audience. Offering a box that does everything (except HD output) the HD box does (OTA, HD channel reception), while outputting SD is a very logical choice for people and Voom.

madpoet said:
I guess I just don't get the attraction of an SD box, since the HD box already does SD. I have 1 hooked to an SD tv now, and it's outstanding.

at $15 a box and $5 mirror fees its kind of bogus... Some deals are like with 1-2 commitment you own the equipment so you only pay the mirror fee of $5. If the SD boxes are cheap enough to either be $5 lease or own them after 1-2 years that's the way to go.

Sean Mota said:
From what I saw... it doe not look like they are struggling and dying... :D That's everyone's opinion... but again that's a discussion for another thread and no this thread. This thread is about the SD or new boxes. ;)

Uh,

That $75,000,000 dollar loss per quarter means death and dying. Losing 8 million a dollars a day to keep the business open or paying 6k per sub is not a winning business solution. Sorry that's not an opinion its a fact. Ever take a business class? Or a math class?

What do you call struggling, losing a $1 billion per quarter?

Its not wine its Jesus Juice. :cool:

Empty SD boxs == no news customers
I never saw an empty product impressive enuff for me to buy it.

Where are you getting the $15 /box and $5 mirror fee?

My first statement was for just over $60.

$49.90 for Voom Package
$5 x 2 (receiver) chg.
Franchis Fee

Total is $60.78

The second receiver is in the bedroom on an SD TV.

Thanks Djjsin

Thank Djjsin for the info on HDMI. I was just wondering is the pin interface on HDMI different from standard DVI single/dual link pin. If you want to just use the DVI or HDMI for video and use optical for audio, is it necessary to get an adapter. Does that mean the voom dvr will only have HDMI and not DVI, will it also have a component output. I saw the back of the new DVR on the pics it is not clear

Ronald_Jeremy said:
Where are you getting the $15 /box and $5 mirror fee?

My first statement was for just over $60.

$49.90 for Voom Package
$5 x 2 (receiver) chg.
Franchis Fee

Total is $60.78

The second receiver is in the bedroom on an SD TV.

I haven't checked my bill for a wihle but it is not $5 a receiver, my basic package is like $79 unless they lowered the price of the STB

n0qcu said:
They should not waste their money on SD only boxes. The current box works just fine on a SD TV.

There is a very good reason for providing SD only boxes. Most televisions are and will continue to be 20" or smaller. However, ALL NTSC signals are suppose to terminate transmission NEXT YEAR!!!

The smaller television sets are going to need digital SD, not digital HD. I have larger televisions and I want HD. But HD on smaller televisions is pointless so why have the extra expense for an HD receiver.

It also seems to me that these SD receivers will still have to be able to receiver HD signals and then down convert to SD. But, then I don't know of any digital receiver that can't receive HD digital signals.

I keep seeing people mention how much cheaper an SD box would be, and I'm not sure it realy would be. Most people assume it will be cheaper, because HD boxes always cost more. The costs of prodcution are always about the same, the components are usually pretty identical, the difference has more to do with volume than anything. The reason a Dish SD box is cheaper than a Dish HD box, is:
1) They sell almost 10 times as many SD boxes as HD boxes.
2) People looking to buy an HD box will pay twice as much for the HD.
Voom could actually run cheaper by only producing one, single box, the HD one. It's not like the HD is an upgrade, it is standard for them. As for the SD tuner in the box, I'm sure it is exactly the same, in fact, I'd be willing to bet the only difference between the HD and SD boxes is the outputs. Voom only broadcasts guide data for digital OTA's, so why would they even think about instaling an analog tuner?

Crazifuzzy

Did they say that it would be an analog box, or that it is a SD box. Probably still only receive digital OTAs, but only output in SD.

I agree with what you're saying. If it was me, I'd just have one box to deal with.

Wow! Thanks Scott. That's wonderfull stuff. The really cool thing is I'm sure my wife will be able to work this and will think it's neat, which is a very important factor!!! I can't wait...oh, mait a minute...I have been waiting for a long time for this so I guess I can wait...Two more weeks right???

n0qcu said:
They should not waste their money on SD only boxes. The current box works just fine on a SD TV.
DITTO! I was talking to the owner of the company that came out to exchange my "defective" Voom box Monday night and I told him it's a shame that Voom does not advertise the fact that their programming can be viewed on an old analog TV and he lit up, saying that they do local seminars to inform people of Voom and he had never thought of telling them this. DUH!! Wake up an smell the coffee, Voom. :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)