CES 2008 disappointment so far

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Rangers484

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 21, 2007
Palmyra, Virginia, United States
Being new to the satellite world, I was expecting more from CES than what has been reported so far.

Is there usually a big splash by Dish at some point or have they already blown their wad with the press conference and HD announcements?

CES in general always seems to be a disappointment. How many more iPod docks and iPhone wannabes do we need?

There's always a few diamonds in the rough. I for one am really interested in the XtremeHD offering. Unfortunately, most of the stuff shown is always pre-alpha stuff that may not even make it to production.

Then you have things like the SlingCatcher.. Something that looks very interesting. Announced at last year's CES as being available in a few months. Here we are a full year later and still no launch.

Not only has it not launched, but they just annouced that it won;t launch until Q2 2008. :rolleyes:

Then you have things like the SlingCatcher.. Something that looks very interesting. Announced at last year's CES as being available in a few months. Here we are a full year later and still no launch.

CES is over as far as announcements go for Dish Network (and most other companies)

However I agree it has been a disapointment, as it has lead to more questions then answers.

CES is over as far as announcements go for Dish Network (and most other companies)

However I agree it has been a disapointment, as it has lead to more questions then answers.
Scott, if you happen to swing by the Slingbox booth, turn around and say hi to the guys at the Prism Projection booth on the other side of the isle (if they are even there). They are a subdivision of my company. I see they are up for some award for Eco-Design and Sustainable Technology for their LED projector (which nobody from our main campus has ever even seen or heard about yet!)

The DirecTV HDPC adapter is looking very interesting. Expected to be released this quarter.
I too am extremely intrigued by this. I have an HTPC and would love to be able to use a box like this for programming. I'm hoping that Direct will allow you to have two hooked up at once for a total of 4 tuners as I regularly find myself bumping my head on the two tuner limit (or at least I did until most of the prime time shows stopped new episodes).

I seem to remember hearing that Dish was looking into doing something like this too, a PC tuner. Or did I imagine it?

Both satellite carriers have toyed with PC-based tuners at one time or another. In all honesty I'm more interested in DLNA/UPNP type stuff like Dish Network wants to do.

I'm sure a couple HTPC people will buy into a PC based tuner (and Dish could theoretically come up with one, especially since they've embedded their access card into their other hardware), but I'm not interested in paying 5$ more a month.

Of course, if Tivo decided to offer support for such a USB tuner in their products as a HD source, I would see more utility for one. I'd still not buy one, but it would give an edge to those people who are stuck with cable because they love their Tivo.

Tivo supports DLNA/UPNP, and the Xbox 360 and PS3 do too. The concept of streaming and controlling my 722 from the 360 is very interesting to me.

Yeah not to worried due to it will be fine when the new sats get up and working..

CES for Dish Network always includes two things:

1) Announcements for products or features we knew about 6 months ago
2) Announcements for products or features that will not be available for years

Yeah, it did seem disappointing, and not just from a Dish Network perspective (though I think the analog-to-digital box that will be free with the govt coupon is pretty great). Sure, a 150-inch LCD HDTV is awe-inspiring, but really, it's hardly practical for most folks. Usually, I hear about a few things that make me say "I want that," but not this year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)