CES 2016 PR: DISH’s HopperGO Takes 100 Hours of DVR Recordings On The Go

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Ilya

XXI Century Explorer
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2004
NE OH
DISH’s HopperGO Takes 100 Hours of DVR Recordings On The Go
  • Personal mobile video drive creates its own private wireless cloud to support tablets, smartphones via DISH Anywhere app
  • Simultaneously sends up to five different shows to separate Android and iOS devices; no Internet connection required
  • 64 GB portable entertainment storage device; four-hour battery life
HopperGO_Back_View.jpg
HopperGO_Smartphone_Comparison.jpg

January 05, 2016 06:30 PM Eastern Standard Time

LAS VEGAS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--At the 2016 International Consumer Electronics Show, DISH Network L.L.C. unveiled a revolutionary new personal mobile video drive called HopperGO. The 64 GB, rechargeable battery-powered device provides residential customers with the ability to securely transfer up to 100 hours of recorded TV shows and movies from a Hopper DVR for on-the-go, offline viewing. At its late Q1 launch, it will work in conjunction with the DISH Anywhere app on mobile phones and tablets; no Internet connection is required.

HopperGO evolved from a long line of DISH technology, including the Hopper Transfers feature, available since January 2013, and the 2006 PocketDISH, each of which gave customers the ability to move recorded television content to a portable device. Now the whole family can easily take shows on vacation.

“Customers loved Hopper Transfers’ capacity for offline, on-the-go viewing, but we found that they worried about how it impacted storage on their smartphones and tablets,” said Vivek Khemka, DISH Executive Vice President and Chief Technology Officer. “HopperGO manages the burden of storage, while using Wi-Fi to simultaneously deliver up to five independent recordings to up to five different users.”

Available late Q1 2016, HopperGO will be compatible with the upcoming Hopper 3, as well as DISH’s existing Hopper 2 receiver. It is priced at $99 for both new and existing DISH subscribers, and is not subject to any monthly fees.

Technical Specs

With 64 GB of memory, HopperGO can hold up to 100 hours of recordings transferred via USB 2.0. The drive creates its own private wireless cloud that supports simultaneous offline viewing of different programs on up to five tablets and smartphones via the DISH Anywhere app. HopperGO is capable of up to four hours of viewing on a single charge and can additionally be used while charging.

About DISH

DISH Network Corp. (NASDAQ:DISH), through its subsidiaries, provides approximately 13.909 million pay-TV subscribers, as of Sept. 30, 2015, with the highest-quality programming and technology with the most choices at the best value. DISH offers a high definition line-up with more than 200 national HD channels, the most international channels and award-winning HD and DVR technology. DISH Network Corporation is a Fortune 250 company. Visit www.dish.com.

Not bad at all and can be rather useful particularly for big families traveling with young kids.

This is a cool device, I have been doing this myself with a trip mate router, but this will work just fine, for car or airplane.

So will the transfers feature still be active for smart phones for us cheap folk?
Yes, but for others they only have phones with 16 GB of space so they filled their phone with one or two movies... now with this they can take more with them instead of one or two films. :D

Here are some more pics from today.

Attachments

• DSC_0043.JPG
    DSC_0043.JPG
    269.7 KB · Views: 320
  • DSC_0045.JPG
    DSC_0045.JPG
    248 KB · Views: 295
  • DSC_0052.JPG
    DSC_0052.JPG
    315.5 KB · Views: 321
  • DSC_0053.JPG
    DSC_0053.JPG
    334.3 KB · Views: 305
  • DSC_0057.JPG
    DSC_0057.JPG
    318 KB · Views: 299
  • DSC_0059.JPG
    DSC_0059.JPG
    344.2 KB · Views: 307
What about the new remote control ? I read somewhere it was voice activated like Xbox does. Did anyone take pictures of it and get to use it?

Wh

What's the HDMI connection for?
Thanks Scott for the great reporting!

Not sure about your question, if its the Wally, it has HDMI so it can output to your TV. If your talking about the HopperGo I do not believe it has a HDMI out only a USB connector to charge it and send content to it.

Any idea how fast it will be able to transfer a program to the GO? Transferring to my phone seems to take quite some time with the Dish Anywhere app.

I will be very interested in the HopperGO. I "watch" TV on my iPhone practically all day at my desk, something from YouTube, Amazon, Netflix, etc... I use the transfer feature to Dish Anywhere sometimes, but it does seem quite slow, plus it doesn't take much to take up a lot of space on a 64GB iPhone. Hopefully this will be faster and obviously holds more content.

Since this all self-contained, I'm assuming the Dish Anywhere App does not need Internet connectivity to play back material from the HopperGO. I'm curious to see the WiFi range, 802.11B vs. G vs. N vs. ac flavors, WPA2, etc. of the HopperGO in the real world. Could I let a friend with their Kindle HD or Nexus Tablet play content from my HopperGO, or do I need to let them know my Dish Anywhere account password?

Reactions: TheKrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)