CES - DISH Sling Receiver

So, this is kind of a quasi "whole home dvr" pending that you have a sling receiver at every viewing location?
Sort of but not quite. ;) I do think we will see a whole home product from DISH introduced this year.

In talking to a number of companies it was explained to me that DISH waited to see what DIRECTV was doing with theres and is making it even better and will also be using newer tecnology then what DIRECTV is using. If this is true then it is VERY exciting to me, as I think that DIRECTV's MRV is an AMAZING product. I honestly cant figure out how DISH can improve on it to be honest with you. :)

Sort of but not quite. ;) I do think we will see a whole home product from DISH introduced this year.

In talking to a number of companies it was explained to me that DISH waited to see what DIRECTV was doing with theres and is making it even better and will also be using newer tecnology then what DIRECTV is using. If this is true then it is VERY exciting to me, as I think that DIRECTV's MRV is an AMAZING product. I honestly cant figure out how DISH can improve on it to be honest with you. :)
What's the old saying, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush
I am under contract so I wait for something better that might happen ,My friends with direct and uvers and Comcast enjoy mrv.

I honestly cant figure out how DISH can improve on it to be honest with you. :)
My wag: it's done with Sling tech over twisted pair, rather than whatever DirecTV is using over coax. So this is better in that you can extend MRV well beyond your house. ;)

I'm hoping for zero $ or at least cheap.

$15 for a svc call? Tell them your 622 is finiky and hope the tech has a 722?

As far as the whole home sling, why can't they just use the homeplug and a 211k? Just use the homeplug to dial up the content on the 722k and stream it.

Also, does this require a separate homeplug or will a 722k talk directly to this without any external network connection?

Scott,

Not sure how much you know about this possible upcoming whole home solution, but would it be a good bet that the 722k recievers would be a part of this with possibly new software, or will this be 922K and/or new unreleased recievers? I am very interested in this, but wanted to upgrade my 622 to a 722K and if the 722K is probably not going to work in a future whole home solution I would rather wait.

Isn't using Sling technology overkill for a MRV solution inside my home LAN ? Will everything using the Sling Receiver have to be be reencoded/re-compressed by the Sling adapter, or will it be smart enough to know it has the bandwidth to just re-send the original satellite data stream to the Sling receiver? If it is smart enough to use existing data stream, why would we need the adapter?

Sling for internet - great idea.

Sling inside the LAN - sounds like a kludge.

Isn't using Sling technology overkill for a MRV solution inside my home LAN ? Will everything using the Sling Receiver have to be be reencoded/re-compressed by the Sling adapter, or will it be smart enough to know it has the bandwidth to just re-send the original satellite data stream to the Sling receiver? If it is smart enough to use existing data stream, why would we need the adapter?

It scales the video depending on the how much bandwidth there is. Over the LAN it's pretty damn good, especially if you're using the Sling adapter. When you go over the Internet it will use adjust the quality setting appropriately. It's not kludgy at all. The Sling Receiver puts the Sling stream up on HDTV in HD quality without using a home theater PC or laptop with HD output. So far the only way to get HD video out of TV2.

It's not really a kludge or a waste. If they had started from scratch with this as an MRV solution, maybe. But, since they had already bought Sling, and already put in the Sling technology, why not use this instead of re-rolling? And from what I've seen Scott posting, they may still be rolling a 'real' MRV solution.

Because it is a cumbersome, slow, laggy, remote-server-dependent, kluge! Audio/video often gets out of sync. Give me a straight shot with a standalone player, please! And oh by the way, did I mention I can record the stream from my Hava? Too bad it's merely DVD quality and not HD.

Maybe kludge is a little too negative sounding, but I can't see Sling being more than an interim solution for MRV with Dish. Re-compressing has to give a hit in quality and the quality is already marginal at times.

If they lease me an adapter/receiver combo for $5/month great, I'd consider it for a year or so. If they want me to purchase the combo at $200+, then I'll stick with my HDMI splitters and wait.

If they can lay out a plan along the lines that the Sling receiver will also be able to serve as the remote STB for a real MRV solution then I might reconsider. My guess is that it wouldn't really save you anything though, like owning a reciever doesn't now.

I know that the sling adapter isn't compatible with the 622, but I've already got a slingbox pro hd connected to it. Is there any word if the sling receiver can stream off of a slingbox pro hd or does it have to be a sling adapter on a 722 or the integrated sling on a 922?

Sorry for the delay in posting! The internet here is terrible, I could barely get around last night online so I could not post this earlier.

Things were too quiet at the DISH Network booth and while it was on display at the DISH booth there was no mention of what it was at their booth...

But there was gold to be found at the Sling Booth next door where we saw the Sling Receiver 300. This is something that many SatelliteGuys have waited for, for a long long time! The Sling Receiver 300!

What the Sling Receiver 300 does is allows you to watch TV2 output from your 922 (or soon 722 and 722k) on TV2 in FULL HD Resolution!

For this to work your 922 must be connected to your router and can work wirelessly on your network and supports Wirless G and N standards, You can also hardwire it to your Ethernet network, or the receiver can also work via homeplug which is built into the power adapter for the Sling Receiver (and it's also built into the 922.)

Once hooked up you can stream full HD to TV2 in your house. All the data stays within your home network and does not go out on the internet. The Sling engineers even built in buffering into the receiver so if your using the box wirelessly and there is an issue with your wireless in your house the video will continue to play fine.

This is an amazing box. I want one (or maybe even two since it will work with the 722k with Sling Adapter at release)

Expect to see it within the next couple months. And after talking to a number of DISH officials I am expecting it not to carry any additional monthly fees.

The Sling Receiver will come with a mounting kit, so that you can mount the receiver to the back of your TV.

I have some video of the unit in action but am unable to upload it due to the internet issues here in Las Vegas. But I will post it as soon as I can. :D

Thanks to ScooterS for being the Official SatelliteGuys Hand Model for the 2011 Consumer Electronics Show. :D

SCOTT OR ANY DISH REPRESENTATIVE...ANY IDEA WHEN THIS IS DUE OUT WITH DISH AND THE PRICE?(Sling Mutliroom Extender for the 922. This will give you TV2 in full HD from the 922) ..TY FOR ANY REPLIES AND HELP ITS SPRING 2011 AND STILL WAITING FOR HD ON TV2 :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts