Challenged Newbie seeks help ...

Heartmusicman

Sep 13, 2013
Seattle
I just purchased a Dish Tailgater for our RV. I ran across the Dishpointer app for my Samsung Galaxy s2, and it would be a great tool ... if I could get it to work. The instructions on the app, if you want to call them instructions, are all over the place. I wish there were a video or some step by step process I could work through for my specific application. Where my app compass, my rotary compass and even the Dishpointer say SW is (where Dish told me the satellites should be) is about 30 degrees off from where I see the satellites on the DP. When I set the Tailgater where the DP says I should get a clear signal from all three satellites (110, 119, 129) I get nothing. I am currently in northern New Hampshire where I shouldn't be seeing the 129 satellite at all (again, according to Dish), yet Dishfinder says it's a fairly good way up into the sky. I calibrated the horizon multiple times. I tried the figure 8 thing I saw on a video but it still doesn't want to work. I also disabled wifi, Bluetooth and GPS after the app found where I am. I'm getting ready to return the app, but REALLY want it to work. It would make life so much easier if it would. Please help ...

Heartmusicman

Sep 13, 2013
Seattle
I just got off the phone with Dish and they told me that the correct reading on where the satellites (110, 119) should be in the sky is around 252 degrees, which is WSW. The DP says that the satellites are way higher in the sky though. I was assured that there's virtually no way I should see the 129. DP says its 25 degrees above the horizon ...

primestar31

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 15, 2005
Beta Omicron Delta III
You need to have GPS and your compass working (turned on), and it needs to find your location before you use the app. Once it shows your exact coordinates, you should be all set. Then leave them active, and lift your phone to the sky and scan.

Oh yeah don't forget: It's affected by magnetic fields, so if you are close to any metal, it'll go screwy on you.

Last edited:

AlanSH

DishPointer.COM Admin
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 4, 2007
Ok, let's start:

In northern New Hampshire, all three satellites (110,119 AND 129W) are above the horizon. 129W is a 'west coast satellite', so might not beam the signal to the east coast - but I'm sure the users in the DISH section of this forum can help here, hence, DISH is saying that you cannot receive that satellite with your dish (if it's big enough you could also get those signals) even though it is above the horizon.

As for the azimuth, it can be that the compass is off due to electro-magnetic interferences, as stated by primestar31, and requires calibration. But since you've seem to have a better reference (rotary compass), you could turn off the compass in the app and move the satellites with your finger to the right position. Then you could check any LoS issues. All positions will be correct.

Hope this helps

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)