Challenging time on setup

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kmires

Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
Dalals
Hi all, I'm a long time lurker but now I need to post because I'm stumped.

I switched my dish from an old 18x20 oval 3LNB and bought a new Slimeline5. It's not SWM, just multi-switch because there are 4 outputs from the LNB (if I understand correctly that means not SWM).

I plumb the pole, dial in the 101 to about 97% on the signal meter via TV. I do not have a handheld meter.

Here's where things seem odd. All of the odd transponders seem about 90%+. The evens are occasionally 45% then jump to 90%+ then to 0%. I don't get how it can have 90% one minute then 0% the next. So I thought maybe it was old cabling but looked and saw it was RG6U cable. I replaced the only barrel connector there and still the same.

Is this a bad LNB? Is it bad cabling? Is it that I'm just not pointed accurately and need to buy a handheld meter? If you have any thoughts please give me your opinion. I've pointed dishes for as long as I've been on Direct but never had this hard of a time. If you are in Dallas and have a meter, I'd welcome your help... Cerveza on me. :)

I've attached a few pics for reference.

Photo Jul 25, 9 18 45 PM.jpgPhoto Jul 25, 9 17 24 PM.jpgPhoto Jul 25, 9 19 08 PM.jpg

-K

Attachments

• Photo Jul 25, 9 18 06 PM.jpg
    Photo Jul 25, 9 18 06 PM.jpg
    438.4 KB · Views: 103
When you are getting 0s on either odd or even transponders, it's usually the lnb or the cable/connectors. Try switching cables and see if it stays with the even transponders or changes to the odds. If it switches it's likely a cable/connector problem.

Thanks raoul... I hope it is the cable. I just wasn't sure since some of the evens had 100 or high 90's while some were 0 or in the 40s.

?-K

I hope it's something that simple! BTW, check my tag line. :)

Oh, and the way it was explained to me.. and it was dumbed way down.. was the frequencies spiral down the wire, so the spot thats bad just happens to be where those particular frequencies are. I know.. sounded far fetched to me too...

Just to follow up on this... I replaced the cabling from the LNB back to the receiver. Works like a champ! I should have done that first thing I guess. Anyway, thanks for helping me go the right direction!

?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)