Chances of getting FiOS

GMFreak8

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 25, 2005
Adirondacks
I live in Northern New York (Malone to be exact), and I'd like to know what my chances of getting FiOS are. Don't laugh, I'm serious. I know it's limited to large cities, and richer areas right now, but still I'd like to know if Verizon has plans to eventually roll out FiOS to areas that aren't cities. I haven't found much information on what they plan to do. I'm jealous that all you guys are enjoying this, and I'm stuck with Cable. Again please don't laugh, I'd just like to know if I have a remote chance of seeing FiOS anywhere around here..... :eek:

GMFreak8 said:
I honestly have a real hard time believing that to be true, even if that's Verizon's official response.
korsjs can testify to that fact in the Tampa area, and I can testify to that fact here in Virginia where cable competition/reform legislation is set to go into effect on 1 July. Both the new legislation and Verizon build-out plans have been reviewed and given two thumbs-up by the Virginia Association of Counties (VACO) and the Congressional Black Caucus...and others. There are currently about a dozen or so franchise agreements already in place here in Virginia and three of them (Town of Herndon, Town of Dumfries, and Marine Corps Base Quantico) have residents with moderate income levels. As a retired Marine who lived in Quantico base housing for almost five years, and as someone who has had a number of friends and associates living in all three areas, I can assure you there are few "rich people" living in these localities...and they certainly aren't "large cities".

What are they? They are strategic locations in which Verizon can install their services and make a buck; nothing more, nothing less. It's all about population density, location of central offices, access to a skilled workforce, and ease of market entry (be it political or the local cable company). Studies and repeatedly shown that so-called poor people spend just as much for their video services as do their so-called wealthy counterparts. The only group getting hosed is rural America because...well, they're rural. Over the past 25+ years Cable has show they don't care about rural America. However, the Telcos seem to be the only group capable of bringing them broadband and other high speed services. It should be interesting to see what happens in the next 5-10 years.

Good luck in upstate NY!

No limited to rich areas

I live in garland Texas and am not sure how things are handled in New York, but they are installing city wide in Garland. Rich neighborhoods, poor neighborhoods, etc. The only difference I see is that they are going into newer neighborhoods first because it is easier to get the fiber down the streets. There are not as many trees, the easements are wider, and the right of ways are generally clearer. I would imagine that this would be the same for other markets. I would assume that in New York, the richer neighborhoods have larger easements and the right of ways are easier to get to since the area is not as dense.

I don't work for Verizon, and have no financial interest, other than my savings with FIOS, and this is what I have noticed. I can even state that in Texas, the first places to get service were extremely rural and the highest priced areas are still waiting. Even in Garland, some of the most expensive houses are not yet serviced while my middle class home does have service. Of course, I was one of the loudest complainers that the only option we had was Comcast.

Here are the stats for the forst city lit up in Texas. Not exactally a city but more a town, and not anywhere as close to the size of Dallas or Ft. Worth. Also, notice the median income level. Not rich by any means.

Population (year 2000): 27,345, Est. population in July 2004: 34,915 (+27.7% change)
Males: 13,597 (49.7%), Females: 13,748 (50.3%)

County: Tarrant

Land area: 18.4 square miles

Zip codes: 76248.

Median resident age: 35.0 years
Median household income: $86,232 (year 2000)
Median house value: $173,000 (year 2000)

Last edited:
Follow up

Just a follow up. the first FIOS service in the Dallas Texas area was Keller texas. Here are the official stats for that town:

Population (year 2000): 27,345, Est. population in July 2004: 34,915 (+27.7% change)
Males: 13,597 (49.7%), Females: 13,748 (50.3%)

County: Tarrant

Land area: 18.4 square miles

Zip codes: 76248.

Median resident age: 35.0 years
Median household income: $86,232 (year 2000)
Median house value: $173,000 (year 2000)

As you can see, they are nowhere close to a large city and the median income level is FAR from wealthy. In general terms, this is a very small rural town with a blue collar /agricultural work force.

Here in Carrollton, TX is was a city wide implementation. Rich and poor and middle class alike.

For what it's worth, the big plan is to get rid of all the copper wires, and replace them with Fiber. If you are in a Verizon territory (that is, if Verizon provides local telephone service to your house), then I would think that eventually they will get to your house.

Well, you are lucky that you are in a Verizon territory because at least you have a chance of getting FIOS. I am in Sprint/Embarq territory and the last time I asked they have no plans of offering anything like FIOS. They are just going to stay DSL.

Your lucky you can get DSL i get nothing from verizon here in MD. We just had to cancel the Comcast Cable Modem b/c it went up to the reg price of $61

garlandtxuser said:
The only difference I see is that they are going into newer neighborhoods first because it is easier to get the fiber down the streets. There are not as many trees, the easements are wider, and the right of ways are generally clearer. I would imagine that this would be the same for other markets.
Goot point. Althought Verizon is not offering FiOS service in my area yet, they have been been running fiber to all new subdivisions in the County for almost a year. New neighborhoods shall be the first to receive FiOS service in my area.

riffjim4069 said:
korsjs can testify to that fact in the Tampa area, and I can testify to that fact here in Virginia where cable competition/reform legislation is set to go into effect on 1 July. Both the new legislation and Verizon build-out plans have been reviewed and given two thumbs-up by the Virginia Association of Counties (VACO) and the Congressional Black Caucus...and others. There are currently about a dozen or so franchise agreements already in place here in Virginia and three of them (Town of Herndon, Town of Dumfries, and Marine Corps Base Quantico) have residents with moderate income levels. As a retired Marine who lived in Quantico base housing for almost five years, and as someone who has had a number of friends and associates living in all three areas, I can assure you there are few "rich people" living in these localities...and they certainly aren't "large cities".

What are they? They are strategic locations in which Verizon can install their services and make a buck; nothing more, nothing less. It's all about population density, location of central offices, access to a skilled workforce, and ease of market entry (be it political or the local cable company). Studies and repeatedly shown that so-called poor people spend just as much for their video services as do their so-called wealthy counterparts. The only group getting hosed is rural America because...well, they're rural. Over the past 25+ years Cable has show they don't care about rural America. However, the Telcos seem to be the only group capable of bringing them broadband and other high speed services. It should be interesting to see what happens in the next 5-10 years.

Good luck in upstate NY!
Well it's good to know that I'm mistaken.

I live in Malone, New York. One cable company (Time Warner), and then Verizon services the telephone lines and provides DSL. Not an area with a large population, but it's not rural either....

Population (year 2000): 14,981, Est. population in July 2004: 14,797 (-1.2% change)
Males: 9,620 (64.2%), Females: 5,361 (35.8%)
Elevation: 722 feet​
County: Franklin
Land area: 3.2 square miles​
Zip code: 12953
Median resident age: 35.7 years
Median household income: $27,716 (year 2000)
Median house value: $58,000 (year 2000)​

Judging by that, I doubt Verizon will get around to installing FIOS anytime soon around here. God, I hate this area, and it's no wonder why the population has gone down....

Last edited:
korsjs said:
the good news for you is that if verizon services' your phone, you should eventually get it. the hard part is waiting.
Yeah, I know that I'll eventually get it if Verizon sticks to their plan on eventually offering it to all their customers. I just want it by the time I die....

I signed up for the alert (I currently don't have any service from Verizon, I don't even have a phone line coming to my house, I have VOIP through ATT), but I'll probably know if they're planning to offer it in this area before they alert me, if of course I'm still alive....

Last edited:
if you are in a less populated area, it will probably be a few years before it is available, but i could be wrong.

did not mean to jump on you earlier, it just gets my blood going when people say fios is only for the rich.

korsjs said:
if you are in a less populated area, it will probably be a few years before it is available, but i could be wrong.

did not mean to jump on you earlier, it just gets my blood going when people say fios is only for the rich.
No problem, I'm glad you set me straight. ;)I was kinda in between on that, I didn't want to believe it, but I've seen so many things accusing Verizon of installing it onling in richer areas, I didn't know.

I hope it is a few years until I can get it, not 10 or 20 years down the road, and I hope it's internet and TV. Has Verizon laid out any plans on when they want to start installing fiber in other areas, areas that aren't cities or larger more populated areas? Is it true that Verizon wants to eventually switch it's entire network to fiber?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts