Change 722K from IR to UHF

MojaveJoe

Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
CA
My new Sharp LCD is in front of my 722K receiver. After a little research learned that some LCD displays are putting out IR blocking signals at certain times (during warmup, etc) My 20.0 IR remote was not working all the time, so I tried blocking the back of the display from the receiver and it allowed my remote to work. Called DISH and told them my remote wasn't working sometimes (like right then). The tech tried one fix with me, it didn't work, so he quickly said we are sending you a new remote. It was a 21.0 and free. Obviously they are aware of this issue. I called DISH and got instructions for changing my Primary remote to UHF. Below are the change over instructions for a 722K receiver and 21.0 remote from IR to UHF.
=====================================================
Be sure your new 21.0 is set to UHF mode. Open battery door and check micro switch.

Press System Info button on your receiver.

To change Primary Remote from IR to UHF, using your current/old remote, push "Record" 3 times. (It's that simple) You should now see "IR/UHF Pro Band B".
(My remote address automatically changed to 6, which worked for me.)

To change the address (if necesary) using your new 21.0 remote press "Sat" until all mode lights flash red.
Enter your new address number
Press "#"
Press "Record" 3 times
Press "Select" and you're Done (you should see your new address displayed)

=================================================
Caution Note:
Be sure to isolate any other receiver from this IR -->UHF change. My other 722K receiver in the next room changed over to UHF because I left the bedroom door open. Changed it back to IR using the "Record" x3 method.

Hope this helps someone else trying to figure out how to setup their new 21.0 to work as the Primary UHF remote.

Last edited:
Is your tv connected via HDMI? It is probably the handshake between equipment preventing channel changes, not IR blocking... I've been wrong before...

Is your tv connected via HDMI? It is probably the handshake between equipment preventing channel changes, not IR blocking... I've been wrong before...

And you are this time. Its a known fact that the backlighting on several LCD TV's causes IR interference until the TV warms up, usually about 10 minutes or so.

Ok. I was going on experience from the girlfriends Fios box connected to her Sony Bravia LCD via hdmi. I know for the first 30 seconds or so the remote was useless but understood it was from the handshake. You learn something everyday on here!:)

Yep...all my equipment is brand new and connected via HDMI 1.3 components. Considered the handshake problem initially, but when I shielded the back of the LCD display from the receiver with cardboard the problem ceased. Ergo, backlight interference with IR signals as Kevin stated.

Im 61 y/o and new to HD...but not too old to learn a few more things :) I honestly appreciate all the info available here and on the www.

Thanks SatelliteGuys !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)