change default from all to once?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

retiredTech

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 15, 2003
Missouri
I'm using a 625, but this should be applicable to other dvrs.
Is there any way to make the default setting (when creating a timer) on series shows to be on "once" instead of "all".
I know I can choose it by selecting "once" for each series timer.
Why is the default "all"?
(I could see maybe a default as "new".)
But how many people really actually want "all" (that frequently)?
There should be a way to change the default,
so it is already selected for the choice the user wants most often

I'm with RT. When I want to record A show, I'm thinking singular, no way would I want to record ALL shows - some shows in rerun syndication can have over 100 iterations in the 7/8 day EPG period. Intuitively, I'm thinking the desired recording, but if I don't pay attention (I distract easily) I then have to go through a multistep process to erase them all, then again record singularly the one I really wanted.

Counter intuitive thinking, IMHO, which may explain a lot more than just this menu issue. Any developers at DISH paying attention?

I think the default being All Episodes is counter-intuitive, too. I set up 'Once' recordings ALL the time. I set up All Episodes next to never. I set up New Episodes a bit, but once i set it up, it's set up.

So it makes a hella lotta sense to me to make the default 'Once'.

For the VIP receivers, far less navigating for impromptu recordings would be required. From the EPG, it would be two "select" button presses if Once was the default, compared to seven button presses (1 "select", 1 "left arrow", 2 "down arrow", 1 "select", 1 "right arrow" and 1 "select".

It might not sound like a lot, but seven button presses is a lot more than two, when setting up a recording.

I suppose many people set up many more All Episodes recordings that Once recordings, but I kinda doubt it.

Once is default for movies and sports.

And I use "all" regularly. Whenever I record an old rerunning TV series, "new" won't cut it. I just set up an all yesterday, for ALF on WGN.

I almost never use once for a TV series. If I like the series, I'll record at least new episodes, if I don't, I won't record at all. "New" does make more sense for a default, though. Maybe make it logical: "New" if the show you originally select is new (or recent, like the last year), "all" if it's a rerun.

It would be nice if the slit up the "series/specials" category so series could be "all" or "new", but special programs that only occur once can default to "once".

This topic is another reason why I like the Directv DVR better, it has many more features than Dish DVR doe. on Direct you hit the record button once to record 1 time and you hit it twice to record all. Now that I am a Dish customer I really miss all the extra feature that Direct has over Dish. Its just my opinion but Dish has too many steps to go through to do what you want to do.

I'd suggested having a user-controlled option for this a long time ago... Like many others, I don't think I'd EVER set a timer to record ALL episodes of a show. My kids set timers for things off of Disney channels or similar and in a matter of hours, you can have quite a few shows recorded !

I'd much prefer the default to be ONCE.

This "feature" is the exact reason my mother in law's DVR is filled up with every episode of "60 minutes" and "Reba" that have aired since she thought something looked interesting one day and decided to record it.

Every time we visit I can plan on 30 minutes of querying her about whether she intended to record something and whether it's ok to delete.

Note that if the guide info is correct then All is not All but only the first of each episode and New will miss all episodes on series that are not first runs.
-Ken

Note that if the guide info is correct then All is not All but only the first of each episode and New will miss all episodes on series that are not first runs.
-Ken

Right, but unfortunately the guide information is often crap.

When I was first learning to use my 625 I ended up with a lot of Leave it to Beavers. That's the show that was first on when it got installed and I recorded every Beaver show for a week before I figured out how to make it stop....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)